X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hazelsmail
    Super crafter
    • Jul 2012

Hi Im in when i do a craft stall. My only concern is that others might just copy this who are not genuine, making out they are.

Comment

• Caroleecrafts
      Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
      • May 2008

Originally posted by hazelsmail View Post
      Hi Im in when i do a craft stall. My only concern is that others might just copy this who are not genuine, making out they are.
      I think you will find those that are not genuine are going to keep a low profile, if they do copy and are false they could be in even more trouble.

Comment

• Incognito 2
        Banned
        500+ Crafters Club
        • Jul 2012

The thing is, do the customers actually care at all? They want to buy what they want to buy and don't care about any registration, insurance memberships, hallmarking compliance 99% of the time.
        Displaying all this stuff will make those of us who follow all the rules feel good but it won't make any difference to most shoppers.

Comment

• StefC
          Super Moderator
          Mega Crafter
          • Feb 2011

Well.... as a still non making wannabe who will doubtless have to start as a hobby seller in scale I do care and so do many others that I know.

I have no idea what it is or how it works (well I do now, cos I read here) but I have little or no interest in paying for tut that may not be fit for purpose that I have no recourse to the maker for. I don't want my smellies to harm me, candles to be dangerous, soft toys to be choke hazards or jewellery to turn me green.

This summer (or maybe Easter depending on how big the new job turns out to be) I shall be fully registered and will have a sign similar to that being discussed here. I am willing to bet all the time and extra cash it takes to do that once people realise what they are looking at it will make a positive difference.
          Do not watch this space

Comment

• Incognito 2
            Banned
            500+ Crafters Club
            • Jul 2012

perhaps..I'm remembering the local agricultural show craft tent from last year. Allowed in were someone who had scarves and stretchy bracelets from China, someone else who pretends to make everything but doesn't, and a bloke flogging bought in wooden toys which he pretended he had outworkers making. They were the three stalls which sold most.
            This is the only show I am contemplating this year and only because it is local to us and because I've done it for years now and have regulars but I will be asking about allowing these people into the local crafts tent before I sign up.
            Maybe if bona fide makers ask about who else is signing up more rigorously (and don't go at the faintest wiff of usborne etc etc) that will help solve the problem...?
            Minutes later: I phoned and left a message saying exactly that to the show organiser. I now await any developments
            Last edited by Incognito 2; 15-12-2012, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• StefC
              Super Moderator
              Mega Crafter
              • Feb 2011

That's depressing! And a bit too familiar!

And now you have me waiting.... I have a short list of places I could sell at locally and had wondered how far I would get if I was rigorous in asking who/what else would be selling!

I suspect I am wearing rose tinted glasses, remembering my childhood joy of all things home/hand made!
              Do not watch this space

Comment

• jencel
                Mega Crafter
                • May 2009

I think this is a great idea. And I think many people do care what and who they buy from. Don't forget, Starbucks is being boycotted by many people because of not paying corporation tax. And for those who don't, these signs will still be educating not only the public, but also sellers who aren't legit. And it's especially important where Health and Safety, or food hygiene regulates production. I would definitely choose to buy from the person displaying the sign, and hope it becomes the norm to display one.
                Celia
                I can't be creative and tidy too
                www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
                The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
                Jencel on Facebook

Comment

• jencel
                  Mega Crafter
                  • May 2009

PS, Hello again, everyone. I haven't posted much lately, as it's been my busy season, but I've kept looking in, and hope to catch up with you all now.
                  Celia
                  I can't be creative and tidy too
                  www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
                  The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
                  Jencel on Facebook

Comment

• nattynetty
                    Super Moderator
                    Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
                    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by StefC View Post
                    I have little or no interest in paying for tut that may not be fit for purpose that I have no recourse to the maker for. I don't want my smellies to harm me, candles to be dangerous, soft toys to be choke hazards or jewellery to turn me green.
                    Exactly! Even if the signs don't tap in into the buyer conscience tax-wise (and Emma makes a good point that people are boycotting Starbucks so people obviously do care) it'll give the buyer confidence. Have to say I would much rather buy from a stall holder displaying a sign like this than some crafter with no info. I guess it's a bit like buying online - there's no way in the world I'd buy from a website that doesn't display a physical address.
                    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Working...
                    X