Business versus Hobby Selling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business versus Hobby Selling

Again this has been a topic of so many threads and with the petition now up and running have had a thought. I always have an 'About Me' on my stall at events but am now going to alter to be 'Customer Information':

Customer Information

'Name of owner' is trading as 'Name of Business'.
    'Address'

Registered with Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs as a self employed business.

Holds both Public and Product Liability Insurance with 'Name of Insurer'
    ensuring that you the customer can buy with confidence.

Now I don't doubt this will make me unpopular but I am a big girl now and not bothered. Will come up against those that think nothing wrong earning a bit of money on the side and know some at fairs will not be happy but I think at the end of the day it is the customer that should be informed correctly, if they then decide to go for an uninsured and cheaper option that is their choice but I know I can hold my head high and be legal.

Question who is going to join me? judging by the petition for business id cards not many out of how many thousand members?
    Last edited by Caroleecrafts; 14-12-2012, 10:26 AM.

As I understand it - it is a legal requirement for your address to be displayed in such a way that it can be read from thefront of your stall - it is for market traders.

It caused such a foray when it was bought in that it is now acceptable to display your insurance name address and number.

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Good idea 'Address' added

Comment

Yes, I have one of these, name address and insurance number.
        Custom tribal belly dance costumes & accessories

Unique jewellery for those who love to turn heads

Comment

I will be joining you. Great idea Caroleecrafts.
          http://debbieclairegems.webplus.net
          http://www.facebook.com/DebbieClaireGems

Comment

I like the idea. I have no fairs planned at present but I will put it on my to-do list for when I start
            Autumn Thyme

Comment

When I go back to selling at fairs, I'll join you in putting a sign up - although we might all want to change the 'Customs & Excise' bit to 'Revenue & Customs

Claire
              Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
              Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
              www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

Good idea. I shall also put that all items are hand made with new materals by the stallholder. Sorry, don't do vintage, although I know its popular.
                Cathy
                I sew, therefore I am.
                I apologise in advance for any spelling or grramatical errors, I'm on tablets - no, no - I'm on a tablet.

Comment

I think it's a great idea but, personally, I would not show my address at a craft fair. I have flyers with full contact details which I give to customers but would stop short of having a sign advertising the fact that my premises are currently unoccupied. I know that might sound extreme but, having been married to a policeman, I know how opportunistic some thieves are. I spotted one going into a neighbour's house one day in the middle of the afternoon. You would probably argue people who go to craft fairs are unlikely to be house-breakers but you'd be surprised.

However, I fully support advertising the fact that you are insured and properly registered.

Just my thoughts!

Marion

Comment

Its a legal requirement for your business address (company number is applicable) etc to be on every communication except a business card. It needs to be on letter heads, compliment slips, emails and website.

Comment

I've no problem with this. I just don't want it on a notice at a craft fair. It's on my flyers which people can pick up from the table. Just my preference

Marion

Originally posted by Craftychez View Post
                      Its a legal requirement for your business address (company number is applicable) etc to be on every communication except a business card. It needs to be on letter heads, compliment slips, emails and website.

Comment

I agree. I'm putting together a vintage china rental business, hopefully start trading in January and I'm struggling with this legal requirement. I don't want to put our address on the flyers as I don't want people to turn up without an appointment. My other business is registered with companies house but this new one will just be micro business as a sole trader.

Comment

Craftychez, just put something along the lines of 'correspondence address only, not a retail premises' under the address - after over 5 years of having my address 'out there' on my website, on flyers etc, I've yet to have anyone turn up at the door as a result.
                          Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
                          Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
                          www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

Originally posted by ladyluckjewellery View Post
                            Craftychez, just put something along the lines of 'correspondence address only, not a retail premises' under the address - after over 5 years of having my address 'out there' on my website, on flyers etc, I've yet to have anyone turn up at the door as a result.
                            That's a good idea, hadn't thought about that. My details are already available on the 'net from being a director of my full time business but I was worried about putting them down on my new business as I assume most of my customers will be 'domestic' rather than businesses. I didn't want anyone turning up expecting to see a shop.

Comment

Whilst I am all for promoting the need for registration, insurance etc my main problem would be where to put a sign with this information on? I do have flyers with info about me, what I do etc etc and could put this on there I suppose. I don't have a problem with traders having signs saying they are registered etc and think in general it would be a good idea if it is practically possible. Have to think on this one.

Pete
                              "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                              Facebook

Website

Comment

Working...
                              X