Public liability insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public liability insurance

Does anyone know of anyone who has ever had a claim on their public liability insurance? At £75 -£100 a pop that's a lot of money in for..what risk? I'm talking non food here. Is this a case of over insurance and event organiser insurance shifting risk to individuals to make even more money?
    There seems to be no assessment of risk made...the insurance is very much one size fits all no matter how many or few the events or what the craft.

Not known anyone who has had a claim but it only takes one person who has let little Jenny or Johnny swallow something, customer tripping over your stall covering, display stand falling off the table and hitting someone that I would not be prepared to take the risk. A bit like car insurance and house and contents, could be a waste of money but not worth losing your house over and in the current society it is so easy to sue for this that and the other feel that £32.00 per year is a small price to pay plus I have been asked for copy of my insurance for all the events I have done and told no insurance no table.

Comment

One of the market traders at the shopping centre where I have my stall was sued by a member of the public after they tripped on the edge of his tablecloth - that's what insurance is for. All good venues insist on PL insurance.
      Daesul

http://www.clairemanwani.com
      http://www.folksy.com/shops/clairemanwani
      http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ClaireManwaniPottery

Comment

Too many to mention over the years.

The worst was a stall collapsing and killing someone - another time a stall blowing away and badly damaging 3 cars.

I do know of someone who lost their house as a result of not having insurance- to settle the claim

Jane
        www.just-soaps.com
        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I don't prsonally know of anyone who has needed to claim, but I do know that my event organiser insurance now only covers me if my stallholders havve their own insurance, in case of any dispute as to whose 'fault' the claim was.

Also, no matter how good the venue or organiser insurance is, product liability should always be the makers responsibility - I can see lots of grey areas around collapsing tables and the like (was the table the venues, in which case should the stallholder, or venue, or organisers insurance pay for it), but if, for example, someone was injured due to a component in a product, the maker should bear the insurance costs associated with that risk, not the organiser or venue, after all, they had nothing to do with the making of the product.
          Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
          Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
          www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

could you tell me who you are insured with? I am finding it difficult to find any body in the price you have quoted, they all seem to expensive, as I only do a few fairs each year.

Comment

I use direct line and it works out about £4.00 a month
              full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

I think we should all insist on seeing a copy of the organisers` insurance! I suspect many of these demands are to save getting their own.

Comment

Originally posted by sit & fidget View Post
                  I think we should all insist on seeing a copy of the organisers` insurance! I suspect many of these demands are to save getting their own.
                  To be fair, if you're organising an event you do usually have to show a copy of your insurance to the hire space admin, and this is particularly true of large venues of the kind that are needed for craft events.

Sadly we now live in a litigious world where the implied possibility is that "something could go wrong." That "something" could be damage to your goods, or it could be damage to a buyer from one of your goods. So insurance is needed. To be fair, as insurance is available at around £5 a month I don't see why this is such a big issue.
                  Custom tribal belly dance costumes & accessories

Unique jewellery for those who love to turn heads

Comment

In the UK we are no more litigious now than ever we were in fact - the modern tort of negligence, which is what gives rise to PL insurance, stems from 1932 and a decomposed snail which might or might not have been in a lemonade bottle in Scotland

Comment

Once upon a time there was a marquee supplied by the fair, which I was in, which flipped over backwards and the struts fell with a crash narrowly missing some children. Our stock fell onto the floor. (Fortunately my stuff bounces on grass.)

Another time a the wind shook the sides of a tent which pushed over a display of knifes which were no securely attached enough for this unforeseen incident. The day was saved by a six year old holding the board up but the poor father nearly died of a heart attack imagining his brave little one turned into a voodoo doll.

Another time an unruly child insisted on playing with one of my wooden toys, and despite warnings, the diabolo landed on her nose and she cried. Fortunately he mum wasn't very sympathetic as she hadn't done as she was told.

There was the man with the broken leg who propped his crutches up to have two hands to examine something on my stall and he fell over. Fortunately he only pulled soft finger puppets down on top of himself.

All of these no claims were made....but ....they were for these.....

During a hurricane a freak whirlwind swept through a music festival. It missed my stall by 6 inches but ripped the canvas of the one over the path from me and brought neighbouring tents down. It lifted the stage and that the falling bits broke a visitor's arm.

Another fair, middle of the night, the local river flooded and people woke up with water up to their knees. A lot of stock was lost that night.

Another one. Van on the way to the fair crashed on the motorway. A total write off off everything and people whisked off to hospital.

Oh! Missed the iron bar/part of my tent hitting my head producing rivers of blood (my husbands fault) and the wooden strut (different tent) that hit my husband on the head nearly knocking him out (my fault). We didn't bother sueing each other. And the really helpful little girl who insisted helping me pack my van, in her enthusiasm she did not heed my warnings and a table top slipped and hurt her foot.

I'm not accident prone, honest. Just been doing this for a fair while .

Comment

Originally posted by Pearlescence View Post
                        In the UK we are no more litigious now than ever we were in fact -
                        I beg to differ. I saw the rise during my time as a nurse. when I first started nursing people never sued and by the end, it was far from unusual.
                        We claim more whiplash in this country than any other and people will sue for uneven pavements that cause trips etc. claims are up big time. There is money to be made and people are out to get it! We live in a blame culture.
                        full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

People might start actions but they don't always win them.
                          As patients we are perhaps less grateful, yes.
                          But, surely when someone is careless and this results in injury to another, should there not be some form of redress. In the medical field,research makes very clear that if personnel started to accept blame and instead work to design out the failings (either in equipment, regimes or skills for eg) then far fewer people would sue. It is often only when a complaint is brushed off and nothing done to prevent it happening again and again that people sue in an effort to get noticed

Comment

Where I volunteer a drunk climbed up a statue and pulled it down on himself, he broke his leg in three places and his hip, he sued, even though it was his own stupidity, that is not taken into consideration. Best to have insurance and at least you have peace of mind, just think what would happen if you didn't have it!!!

Comment

On the plus side, the cost of it reduces your liability for income tax! (every little helps)

Marion (Scottish through and through)

Comment

Working...
                              X