Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Displaying address on Etsy a legal requirement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displaying address on Etsy a legal requirement?

I am being told by another Etsy seller that I am breaking the law if I don't display my home address on my Etsy shop. Is this really true? I am also an art teacher and don't want my pupils to be able to find out my address!! Surely there are exceptions for small businesses? Please help as I am starting to panic!!
    http://www.serendipitychild.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/serendipitychild

A business is a business, doesn't matter if you are small or large. They all have to obet the same rules. This topic should help you out http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthr...quired-content
    Stephen
    Website - Soy of the North
    Blog - If Soy Candles Could Talk
    Twitter - random thoughts
    Facebook - more random thoughts

Comment

Or if the thread is too long to read- yes, you do have to put your address on Etsy in your shop policies if you are selling from the UK- it does actually mention it in their own terms now too.

If you're very very worried about that then switch to Folksy- your address will still have to be available by law, but will only be available to people after they have clicked to make a purchase.
      Mythillogical- Myths & Fabrications: Creating all manner of three-dimensional mixed media oddities
      etsy facebook blog tumblr

Comment

If your pupils really want to find out your address, then they can easily do so - it's scarcely rocket science.

I - like many people - do not buy from internet sellers who do not provide an address.
        One of the first things I look for when considering a purchase is an address - an actual street address - and if there is no street address, I wonder how on earth I am supposed to follow up on any issues - good or bad - which may arise. As an address is a very basic legal requirement, if one is omitted then I wonder what other legal requirements are being ignored by the seller, perhaps to my detriment.

Comment

I agree with all the above it is a legal requirement in this country on any website whether a selling site or not. LIke Eena when I come across a site on google search the first thing I look for is an address and telephone number if not shown walk away. Your pupils can easily find out where you live in this digital age are you worried about what they would do?

Comment

Hi Caroline,

it is a legal requirement in this country on any website whether a selling site or not.
            When did that change? It was must have an address if people can buy from your site. Should have an address if you are selling (not from the site). Don't have to have an address if you are not selling.

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieAnna View Post
              Hi Caroline,

When did that change? It was must have an address if people can buy from your site. Should have an address if you are selling (not from the site). Don't have to have an address if you are not selling.
              Sorry Anne the rules now state whether selling or not all UK sites must display an address: The UK's E-Commerce Regulations

This guide is based on UK law. It was last updated in September 2010.
              Topics

This guide is based on UK law. It was last updated in September 2010.
              Introduction

Whether your business is trading on-line or not, it is almost certainly affected by the E-Commerce Regulations which came into force in the UK on 21st August 2002.

Comment

There is a new section in the Etsy shop Policies area for sellers to add their address and other contact information. http://www.etsy.com/help/article/171

It means that anyone who intends to buy can find the information if they desire to, and by completing the box (it's at the bottom of the Policies section you complete) you are complying with Distance Selling Regs.
                Custom tribal belly dance costumes & accessories

Unique jewellery for those who love to turn heads

Comment

Caroline. Wow! That's a bit full on, isn't it?
                  Good job you are there to keep us in line. Someone's not very good at keeping us upto date with changes in the law, are they? September 2010. I've come across nothing about it in the papers, on the tele, on the radio, or anyone spamming me to let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieAnna View Post
                    Caroline. Wow! That's a bit full on, isn't it?
                    Good job you are there to keep us in line. Someone's not very good at keeping us upto date with changes in the law, are they? September 2010. I've come across nothing about it in the papers, on the tele, on the radio, or anyone spamming me to let me know.
                    You are welcome Anne, I suppose I tend to have oodles of this info coming through to me on newsletters etc and am pretty up to date on rules and regs.

Comment

Even back in 19----- many years ago, we could find out where are teachers lived - boy did we have fun - harmless of course.

Except for when we all clubbed together and had a ton of wet concrete delivered to our horrible history teacher - whilst he was away on holiday. He came back to a sold concrete mound in his drive.

He never did find out who did it:-)

Jane
                      www.just-soaps.com
                      Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                      FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                      Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

If he is still with us I bet he does now. lol.
                        Carol
                        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
                          If he is still with us I bet he does now. lol.
                          If he is he would be about 120 by now;-)
                          www.just-soaps.com
                          Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                          FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                          Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Working...
                          X