Is this a viable solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a viable solution?

With the phasing out of the cheque guarantee cards have found this link on another forum looks good but may wait for more reviews:

Paypod

I like the look of this a lot and registered interest a while ago
    george
    www.mizgeorge.co.uk
    www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
    www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Looks interesting - the fees per transaction are higher - I pay 30p per debit card transaction - they charge £1 which is high if your transaction values are not going to be massive. I am finding that the majority of people are using debit cards at the moment so this is likely to add up quite quickly. Obviously if you don't have the monthly fees then this is a plus - the purchase price still needs to be accounted for however. Some of the facts and figures they are using on their comparison list are off the mark in my experience, although I am sure there are lots of different costs and timelines dependent upon who your contract is with.

My biggest problem with this type of technology is the lack of a receipt. With credit card fraud being very worrysome for many people, I know that personally, I wouldn't make a payment by card without a printed receipt being handed over (especially after suffering from hubby's card being cloned and fraudulently used afterwards, I would panic that it wasn't a genuine card machine). I take credit cards already and in my experience, there are a full range of customers using cards for payments - some of whom wouldn't have the facility to receive a receipt by e-mail or SMS. There are also times when I have to use my back up manual imprinter when the GPRS network isn't available and I would be worried about the machine 'saving' the transactions - if this didn't work properly or the machine malfunctioned, all those transactions would be lost which could add up to quite a bit of money.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on but I think if I didn't already have card facilities, I would be holding fire until this has been used for a while to get a good range of feedback and reviews.

Perhaps if things start moving forward and more of this type of technology is introduced into the marketplace, people will be more comfortable with not getting a receipt and seeing a different looking machine.

Great link though. Very interesting.
      Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
      Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
      Follow me on Twitter:
      @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Seems like a good idea on the whole, but not being able to give printed recipts like other machines is a big no-no for me. Also, since transactions are carried out even when there is no signal, how do you know that your customer's card has the funds to pay for their goods?
        Stephen
        Website - Soy of the North
        Blog - If Soy Candles Could Talk
        Twitter - random thoughts
        Facebook - more random thoughts

Comment

It does seem to be a solution, but there are drawbacks. The main ones are no printed receipt and what if a transaction gets declined after it has been stored as you are outside GRPS range. The cost of processing a debit card is high as I currently pay 21.4p. On the plus side there is no monthly rental fee or minumum fee charge, and you own the machine.

How long has this been on the market as I have not heard of it before or seen one a paypod. If some major companies adopt them for their repair services e.g. domestic appliances, then I feel they will be readily accepted and then adopted by many other companies.

Roger

PS This is my 100th post in less than a month!

Comment

Originally posted by keystamp View Post

Roger

PS This is my 100th post in less than a month!
            Welcome to the addiction known as Craftforumitus !!

Mo.XX
            Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
            Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
            www.bodrighy.co.uk
            https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Looks like been around since Feb 2011, so still very young but will be interesting to see if the other banks start something similar as apart from the receipt thing they could lose a lot of users

Comment

In principle I think it's a great idea, especially for crafters like me who do few fairs but when I do, say in the run up to christmas, I know I have lost business by not being able to take a credit card when selling more expensive items. That said, if I wasn't able to get a confirmed transaction when selling something expensive due to lack of signal, the chances of the client not having enough funds or being fraudulant and not being able to find out untill after they had long gone, would put me off it, as I assume there would be no comeback with the card company as they hadn't authorised it at the time of purchase. The £1 a transaction is a bit steep too, maybe you have to have a minimum spend as some shops do to use a card.

Mo.XX
                Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
                www.bodrighy.co.uk
                https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Hi This looks fab, with the receipts it says you can immediately send it via sms (text) or email, you can also write down the authorising code on your own receipt.

Comment

I had a look at this too. I didn't think they'd actually started to supply the machines yet though so it's a bit hard to find out if it meets expectations. Still, if it does, it's definately one to watch

cj
                    www.curiouscatcreative.co.uk
                    Become a facebook fan
                    Check out my blog

Comment

here's an fb page too https://www.facebook.com/pages/PayPod/137618232931875
                      www.curiouscatcreative.co.uk
                      Become a facebook fan
                      Check out my blog

Comment

I really like the idea, I would prefer a proper receipt giving chip and pin machine but cannot justify the monthly costs etc.
                        I did however go on their facebook page and they just dont reply to valid questions. For a start up business I think they are losing customers before they even have them!
                        www.zazu-jewellery.co.uk
                        http://zazu-jewellery.blogspot.com/
                        http://www.facebook.com/zazujewellery
                        @zazujewellery

Comment

just had a look on their website again and I cant seem to get onto anything, cant find their facebook page now either. Mmm doesnt look good!
                          www.zazu-jewellery.co.uk
                          http://zazu-jewellery.blogspot.com/
                          http://www.facebook.com/zazujewellery
                          @zazujewellery

Comment

I tried the website and like you found nothing or on FB, perhaps they have gone shame as they did seem they could have been a cheaper solution.

Comment

I've just googled paypod but all the links lead to an site cannot be displayed page. Has anyone else had this problem?

Comment

Working...
                              X