Shop is now up and running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop is now up and running

A couple of months ago I posted about starting up a shop here in Somerset. Well we are now open. West Country Arts & Crafts in Langport.

First off thanks to everyone who offered advice and secondly a word of warning to anyone thinking of doing it ITS HARD WORK!!! But hopefully worth it in the end. Still working on a web site, and still sorting out the 'back room', where I will be selling art and craft materials and offering a framing service.

The gallery part is just about done and the response from artists and craftspeople locally has been good, more so artists, so if any crafters are out there and want to get their on display please get in touch. We are a little lacking in crafts, I am charging £15 per month for space - which is at the moment as much or as little as you want - and all crafts are welcome. Having been open a couple of weeks footfall has been a little slow for my liking, however we have had the best weather over Easter for quite a long time and all the local traders are sayiong it is a little slow, so fingers crossed it will pick up once the holidays are all finished. I have been selling though and it is a great feeling when you actually take money

So if you craft and want your work on show drop me an email or PM. I can send pictures of the gallery/shop if you require.

Andrew
    Remember a long road is best travelled with plenty of breaks.

Even the best of us make mistakes!

Good luck and well done with actually doing it rather than dreaming about it. I am currently moving my mindset from "dreaming" to "doing" and I have nothing but admiration and encouragement for other people who have made the leap. I live miles away from Langport but will be interested in seeing your website once it is launched. I hope Easter has gone well for you.

Comment

Good Luck with it Andrew, we are now in our second Easter (which has been really good) but last year was very quiet, I guess most people will tell you it takes time but I have found that the first year was the settling in year where people get to know you and now we are starting to really get more customers in. All it takes is to have a few regulars who really like what you do and spread the word. Not sure where abouts you are but we are practically in Somerset so will try and give your shop a visit!
      Blog: www.covegardennursery.co.uk/garden-nursery-blog/
      Facebook: Cove Garden Nursery

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

It has been quiet, but I am starting to see a few regulars coming in every week, I am trying to keep the stock fresh by changing things around and putting out different items.
        I am also going to be offering a framing service so although I am a little out of the way - not quite on the high street - I am hoping to make the gallery a 'destination' more than relying on passing trade. There is no where local to buy art materilas so I will also be selling a small range, so hopefully that will attract people in.

I am hoping that the 'dream ' will be worth it, it is something that I have wanted to do for some time.

Comment

Hi Andrew

I'm still very interested, could you please send me some pics of the space you have to my email [email protected]? Many thanks. So glad it's all up and running. It must be a great feeling! I shall send you some bits as soon as if you are still interested.
          Dee x
          Visit ZukieStyle for Handmade Fashion & Pet Accessories
          Follow ZukieStyle for all the latest designs Facebook & Twitter
          Read ZukieStyle's Blog Or Visit Us On Etsy!

Comment

Originally posted by somerset artist View Post
            There is no where local to buy art materilas so I will also be selling a small range, so hopefully that will attract people in.
            Speaking from personal experience it definitely will attract people in - just make sure you are listed on all the online directories (yell, thomsons, etc) as well as the paper versions under art supplies and they will make the journey to visit.
            Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Sounds fab! Have you had an opening? Or can you organise any small events to get more people in who'll hopefully spread the word and soon everyone will know you're there.
              Good luck with everything!!
              xx

Comment

I'm really pleased for you - I have been following this with interest as my Grampy was from Langport and always talked about it.
                I shall try and call by when I'm in Somerset next month!
                www.pollypolkadot.co.uk

My Blog

Comment

Raffles - no I haven't had an opening yet! I wanted to get the gallery and shop fully together before that happened. It is planned for though in a few weeks.

Nattynetty - it worked today! I had someone come in for some paint, I also had an oder for seven bespoke frames, so that seems to be working - hooray

The space in the 'back room' is quite large so having spoken to a couple of crafters I have decided to offer the space for workshops, I have had interest from some people who run the occasional workshop, who want to hire the space and I will also run my own painting workshops. This was something that although was at the back of my mind I didn't think would come this quick.

One thing I am finding is that the shop and gallery is evolving all the time. As I speak to more amd more people, they then offer ideas etc. and the gallery gets better! Thats the plan anyway

Andrew

Comment

Good luck with this...just what Somerset needs. Im not too far from Langport so next time I have a childfree day I will try and pop in.

donna
                    FACEBOOK PAGE:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Busyfi...08530162507226

Comment

Hi Andrew,
                      I'm a little bit freaked out to find you on here because I teach opposite your new place and have no idea whether you are a parent or not, lol! I've had a look every week as I've driven past, but I work part time and tend to drive there and back again and don't hang around! I'll try to pop in over the next couple of weeks. I might have some framing you could help me with too. I have to say, although I am in Langport a lot, I had no idea about the materials side of things, so it might be worth promoting that a bit more? I'm the art coordinator at school and I'm really trying to build community/art links (we work closely with SPAEDA who would be good contacts for you I would imagine if you are not already in touch with them), so we may be able to help each other out
                      Ballderdash & Bunting
                      Twitter (Ballderdash & Bunting)
                      [B]The Ark Man
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS]I am Ballderdash, the blog[COLOR=#0000CD]

Comment

Ballderdash, it was good to meet with you today, and I do hope that we can work together in the future.

I am very keen to get involved with arts in the local community and have a number of ideas for this. It all needs working out and planning, but certainly the response to the gallery has been really good and all positive - so far!! so it seems to be something that the people of Somerset and Langport in particular, are keen to be involved with.

Andrew

Comment

Hope it all goes well for you - could you post pics on the forum so we can all see
                          Chris xx
                          My Website
                          My Blog

Comment

Glad it is going so well for you

Comment

Working...
                            X