Public Liabvility Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Liabvility Insurance

As most of you know Jill and I are organising our 1st event for the 14th May and one of the things we have found is the number of crafters who do not hold pli, because only a hobby, it does not matter you all need it if selling.

Our insurers have asked us to confirm that every exhibitor holds their own pli and we have seen sight of the documentation, failure for us not complying is that it invalidates our insurance, just because they have not been asked for it does not mean they don't need it.

As organisers this is something we need to be strict about as it can have a knock on effect should a claim every happen and is just a sensible business necessity and turn away those that choose not to play by the rules.
    Last edited by Caroleecrafts; 19-04-2011, 01:55 PM.

One of the most interesting things I have discovered from our event organisation is that clearly sellers do not realise that this particular insurance is there to protect them. Yes, we all moan and groan about insurance costs, but look at it from another point of view - someone visits your stand, someone trips over your table covering and breaks an arm, leg, etc - whose fault is it? Theirs for being clumsy or yours for not ensuring their safety? It is your fault - sorry - and what happens next? They claim against you for loss of earnings, in-patient treatment, out-patient treatment - the list goes on. Think of those dreadful ads: have you had an accident that wasn't your fault? Who pays for the accident? Your business will - do you have thousands of pounds to give away? Believe me, PL insurance policy is much, much cheaper. As Caroline said, we cannot obtain event insurance without providing evidence that all sellers have PLI.

Jill
    One craft project, like one cookie, is never enough!

http://christmaspiecrafts.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: @jillspain
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChristmasPieCrafts

Comment

I have to agree, Caroline. PLI is essential for all crafters (hobby or business) who are planning on taking part in fairs. Most of the fairs (other than local village fetes) require a copy of my PLI before accepting my booking so without it you are not only opening yourself up for financial issues if there ever was a claim but also seriously restricting the type of fairs you can attend.

Remember, injuries and insurance claims do not care if you are a hobbyist - you are still responsible for ensuring you cover yourself just incase there is a problem to deal with at some stage.

Stay strong on this point, Caroline & Jill - do not put your own insurance at risk, it isn't worth it! There are lots of companies selling PLI which don't cost a fortune - if someone is planning on attending even just a few shows a year, it doesn't add much on to the cost when you calculate the cost across the year.

Good luck with your fair & sorry I am not available to take a stall myself...
      Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
      Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
      Follow me on Twitter:
      @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Thank you Ali for your support, think some of the exhibitors have felt we are being pedantic about this but 2 of them did not realise and now have insurance, don't think they thought about the repercussions, one of them was a therapist and she said a she did not touch the client (reiki) did not feel she needed it, Jill explained that supposing the client fell of her massage table, so many things can and do go wrong and not worth losing your house over.

Comment

I am just about to take out insurance with G M Imber which is only £55 and covers me for exactly what I need, even if I only do 10 fairs (which I will do much more that) it works out at £5.50 a fair. Unfortunatly we now live in a world were people feel the need to aportion blame onto someone for the slightest of things so it is just not worth the risk. If people don't want to look around and find the cheapest and most suitable insurance for their needs they shouldn't be selling a public events, simple as that.
          Laura x

Comment

Originally posted by Caroleecrafts View Post
            Thank you Ali for your support, think some of the exhibitors have felt we are being pedantic about this but 2 of them did not realise and now have insurance, don't think they thought about the repercussions, one of them was a therapist and she said a she did not touch the client (reiki) did not feel she needed it, Jill explained that supposing the client fell of her massage table, so many things can and do go wrong and not worth losing your house over.
            I have to say that had an organiser not stated that I needed PLI when I first started in fairs, it wouldn't have been something I thought about either! I am actually just renewing mine for the year and bearing in mind I already have 32 fairs booked for this year (with more to be added) the £48 cheque I have sent for another year is only adding just over £1 per event! I get mine through CMTIA - this was actually given as a contact for PLI along with a couple of others in the booking information for the fair run by the organiser I just mentioned. Just a suggestion and please ignore me if you think I am interferring, but have you thought about adding some contact details to your event information as your potential stallholders may be more inclined to sort it out if they don't have to do the work finding the relevant companies to get it from! I always found when I ran large exhibitions that I needed to make everything as simple as possible and if something was required as an essential, the more information I provided, the more chance I had of it actually getting done.

Here is mine if it helps:
            Combined Market Traders Insurance Association (CMTIA), Tel: 020 8500 8489, Fax: 020 8500 2082, E-Mail: [email protected], Web: www.cmtia.co.uk
            I am sure other people on this forum will provide the contact details for the company they use.
            Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
            Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
            Follow me on Twitter:
            @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Many thanks Ali for your info - as always very welcome

Funnily enough Caroline has been adding details of various companies in replies to those without PLI and it is certainly something we will put in future Ts & Cs. We have also decided it will be a good idea to include a link to the Association of British Insurers (www.abi.org.uk/Information/Business/Insurance_Advice_for_Businesses.aspx) as this provides good advice for businesses.

It seems to be a case of not assuming all potential sellers know what they should have and should not have in place.

Jill
              One craft project, like one cookie, is never enough!

http://christmaspiecrafts.blogspot.com/
              Twitter: @jillspain
              http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChristmasPieCrafts

Comment

Absolutely you should stand fast, in my opinion it also adds to your credibility as an organiser.

I am astounded at how many people dont have it, and even how many organisers dont even bother to ask if you are covered. I always make a point of declaring that I am covered, whether they ask or not, and put a copy in with any booking forms.

I have found that talking to other crafters who dont have it, when you explain why they should they look at you like you have 2 heads!!!

Comment

hi,

we have found this too. we have stood firm with our insistence on PLI for the same reasons that you have stated, it would invalidate our insurance. To start off with we did consider whether we were right in ensuring this but it seems that more and more organisers are asking for it. We run 12 events a year and say to crafters that this would work out less than £5 per fair if using CMTIA who we recommend because of the good price. I have actually seen a child trip on a table covering that wasnt tacked back and he split his lip - it does happen.
                  Victoria
                  xx

Comment

Working...
                  X