Treated badly by my craft market organizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treated badly by my craft market organizer

I have been doing the same market for the last two years.
    In December the market was cancelled due to the snow and all traders were told they could not get back their table money. They did however offer to carry the money forward to the January market but only the January market.
    I was unable to do this market due to an appointment with a spe******t I had to keep.
    When I asked the lady who organizes the market (someone who knows me well after two years) if it would be ok to carry it over to February she reluctantly allowed this.
    At the end of the February market this lady normally comes around all the 'regulars' to book and get payment for the next fair. However she didn't come to me, so when I went to her to book she told me "sorry we are fully booked for the next six months"
    I have since discovered she has booked new traders for this month after she had told me this.
    As you can imagine I am most upset by this and not sure what to do, has anyone else had a problem like this that could give me some advice.

I'm so proud of you - you have written an extremely reasonable post about this most unfortunate experience.

I know this is hard to take, especially having been there for two years, and probably feeling like the organizer was a friend. Seems like you should have some recourse. Is there someone "above" the organizer who you could talk to?

I am so sorry you have had this hurtful and frustrating experience. I hope someone posts a really helpful reply to this...I am not helping much, I know. Except I know you are feeling angry perhaps, and hurt, and that's so unfortunate. People don't often consider other people's feelings in these matters.

I suppose all this may actually have nothing to do with your asking for a February extension. It may just be that a bunch of newcomers simply beat you to the application/payment deadline. Sigh. So frustrating.

Comment

Normally priority is given to regulars at markets and as Susan said there should be someone above this woman in the food chain who you can appeal to. Not sure what type of market you attended was it a Farmers Market? either way find out the chain of command and write or email that person, explain due to medical reasons you were unable to attend the January event and the manager did agree in this instance to carry your rent over to February at which point you were not offered a further stall, you have been supporting this market for 2 years and feel that your loyalty has been underminded.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on, come over to the introductory thread and let us know more about you and what you do.

Comment

I think I'd email her or write to her explaining how you feel a bit let down after being a loyal customer. It is frustrating, but maybe given the chance to explain her reasons, it might make you feel a bit better. If however she was just being a bit bloody minded, it might make her think twice about her actions.

Hope you get some answers.
        Wid

Comment

You have already received excellent advice here in the replies but I'd like to add that I too think you have been treated very unfairly;the woman's a fool for letting you go when you have obviously been a great support to the market in the past.
          I'm hope it all comes good.
          ~ Rachael
          My etsy Shop Blog

Comment

There was a "similar" case a couple of years ago, where the stall holder took the market organisation to court and won. It was a Farmers Market a producer had been standing for a couple of years, but the market found a producer who lived nearer and tried to force the first producer of.

Have you got a copy of the Markets T&Cs, by law they should have them, talk to a solicitor especially if your livelihood depends on this market.

We do many markets, last year we did 25 a month, all the market manager tell me how difficult it is to get rid of a regular.

Jane
            www.just-soaps.com
            Twitter JUSTSOAPS
            FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
            Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

An update on how things have gone.

I decided to ring the organiser to ask her what her reasons were for not allowing me to book for the market.
              She said 'I don't have to justify myself to you, the new person I booked had asked for a table months ago. If your'e not happy complain to the management' needless to say, bieng quite a sensitive soul I found myself in tears by the time I came off the phone.

I checked her story on the 'new person' and found she had lied, in fact this person had only contacted her a couple of weeks ago.

I have now complained to the manegement as she suggested and now wait to see what happens next.

Thankyou everyone for your support on here it means a lot to me at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by moll333 View Post

She said 'I don't have to justify myself to you,
                I think that she does actually ..... and if this is a council run market she could be in trouble for saying that to you .

If by any chance you have PLI with the National Market Traders Fed i would definitely let them know about what has happened. They would give you expert advise and support over this issue.

If this is a private enterprise then they can , i suppose, choose who they want to have as stall holders but it's not a very nice way to carry on is it.

Best of luck
                http://www.dosrodgerspottery.co.uk/

Comment

This is a sad story, good for you having the courage to ask her why she had taken on new stalls before giving you the chance to do what you had been doing for the last 2 years.
                  She sounds very much like our village craft tent organiser, in which something similar happened to me a few years ago.
                  I hope you have a happy outcome and she is forced to let you have your stall again. If not i hope they are inundated with people asking WHY you aren't there anymore?
                  Peony
                  "She who works with her hands is a labourer. She who works with her hands and her head is a craftsperson. But, She who works with her hands and her head AND her heart is an Artist."
                  --Francis of Assisi & PeonyRose

Comment

Originally posted by PeonyRose52 View Post
                    I hope you have a happy outcome and she is forced to let you have your stall again. If not i hope they are inundated with people asking WHY you aren't there anymore?
                    Peony
                    Good point - get all your family & friends to go there and ask where you are!

It seems this kind of behaviour is all too common - we've had that experience too. My friend & I had stalls at our local hospice's summer & Christmas fairs, we had been with them since they started and supported the organiser in getting other stalls etc. Then out of the blue she suddenly returned our booking form for one event and said that they had been inundated with applications and had decided to get in some new stallholders. We were both really upset - as well as this being our local charity that we had supported for years, we both always did really well at those events and we lost a lot of money through not being there. I complained in writing to the fundraising manager at the hospice but although I was told the organiser would call me to talk about it, she never did. I then found out that the owner of a local gift shop, who had started attending only very recently, was asked if she would like an extra table, free, as they couldn't fill their spaces. That's gift shop as in nice but mass produced imported gifty type things, Not handmade goods. We never did foind out what we had done to deserve being treated that way.

Really hope this comes out well for you, it sounds as though this is just a petty vindictive woman being mean.
                    Heather
                    Pretty Things Handmade Jewellery

Website - www.prettythingsjewellery.co.uk

Destash bead and papercrafting shop - http://www.misi.co.uk/handmade/BlackCatBeads.html

New blog - www.prettythingsandwitterings.blogspot.com

Comment

Sorry to hear your experience Heather, I think in most cases like this it is because friend of a friend wants a space?
                      In my case I decided it was time to pack that one in and just go elsewhere, which worked out better in the long run
                      Hugs Peony
                      "She who works with her hands is a labourer. She who works with her hands and her head is a craftsperson. But, She who works with her hands and her head AND her heart is an Artist."
                      --Francis of Assisi & PeonyRose

Comment

I mentioned this case to a market manager today - who confirmed what I thought.

It is very difficult for them to get rid of you, without a justifiable reason - they have been trying to get rid of someone who flaunts TS rules and regs, with no avail - if you need the income from this pitch, speak to a solicitor, as they do not have a leg to stand on - even private markets come under the duristriction of the council charter acts.

Jane

Jane
                        www.just-soaps.com
                        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Working...
                        X