Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visit from Trading Standards - HELP!

Hi,
    I'm expecting to have a visit from someone from TS to discuss setting up my soap business. Can anyone advise me on things I should prepare for or be aware of?
    I'm thinking I should have
    • some samples of my work,
    • an attempt at labelling
    • a copy of all my MSDS certificates
    I haven't yet purchased my certification or insurance, I'm waiting on saving some pennies!

Thanks,

Eleanor

I am no expert but i would have thought an honest list of products used and weight of products would be essential?
    Remember the TS people can also advise you onmaters too.
    PeonyRose
    "She who works with her hands is a labourer. She who works with her hands and her head is a craftsperson. But, She who works with her hands and her head AND her heart is an Artist."
    --Francis of Assisi & PeonyRose

Comment

They will be looking for accuracy in description. For example your product weighs in at 5 grams, is light green in colour, smells like apples and looks like a bar of soap and it costs £3.00. Make sure any labels reflect this. Its is a £5000 fine for all products that are wrongly advertised. So if your label says you items smells like chocolate instead, or more importantly says is weighs 5.5 grams, you need to change it asap.

Think in a list of the following:
      1. weights and measures - written on all labels - has to be 100% accurate
      2. description is accurate - if there are going to be discrepancies you must state 'May differ from photo' (or something to that effect)
      3. Correct pricing - cleared labelled where needed

They are generally very nice people, just make sure you don't make any sillies and you'll be just fine!!
      Kat
      http://with-u-in-mind.blogspot.com/
      http://www.folksy.com/shops/WithUinMind
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/With-U-in-Mind

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions. Weights of soaps might be a problem as they vary in weights - will I have to weigh each soap individually?

They are coming at 10.30 in the morning. I'm nearly there. I have all my paperwork nicely organised in a file and some samples to show... now I need a nice tidy house - does any one have a magic wand to lend me please???

xx

Comment

Firstly dont panic!!

I would write a list of questions you have for them, get as much info as you can from them while you have them there in the flesh.

Also write down everything that they tell you so that you know exactly what is expected of you for them to be happy.

That way I would imagine you get the most from their visit and show them that you are willing to do what needs to be done!!

Rachel @ www.rbbeads.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Rachel, nearly there.
            I'm sitting down with a nice strong up of tea, kitchen is nice and clean and I'm ready for questions!!

Will let you know how it goes
            xx

Comment

Sending you a (((((((((((hug))))))))))))) and keeping my fingers crossed for you.
              PeonyRose
              "She who works with her hands is a labourer. She who works with her hands and her head is a craftsperson. But, She who works with her hands and her head AND her heart is an Artist."
              --Francis of Assisi & PeonyRose

Comment

good luck!!!! xx
                my folksy
                Kryshees Blog
                www.kryshees.com

Comment

Hope it all went well!!

Comment

Hi folks,

Its went really well. It was just an informal chat for about 20 minutes keeping me right about weights and labels. He offered to look at any of my labels before I get them printed and to check anything else for me. He is also away to ind out answers to some questions I had.

It's good to meet and etc to know these people in an informal setting before meeting them across a table at a fair etc!!!

Thanks for all your kind thoughts, now to find some people who would be willing to sell them for me!!

xx

Comment

Working...
                    X