TS Alert - be ready

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS Alert - be ready

In the last month we have had TS at 3 different events.

We usually see them 2-3 times a year.

Apparently they are having a big purge on markets/shops and fairs.

I am sure you are all up to speed with everything in order, but just as well to double check;-)

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

I may be being slow but whats TS??

Lucie
    http://luciekate.com

Comment

Originally posted by LucieKate View Post
      I may be being slow but whats TS??

Lucie

Sorry, Trading Standards officers, they can close your stall/shop down:-(

Jane
      www.just-soaps.com
      Twitter JUSTSOAPS
      Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Glad someone asked because I had no idea either!!!
        View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

I also got a visit from my TS man recently. We agreed it beween ourselves, but he did instigate it.

x
          my folksy
          Kryshees Blog
          www.kryshees.com

Comment

Just out of interest, what sorts of things are they looking for?
            Annie

Comment

Also heard from a friend yesterday the tax men are out in force at events, so be legal all

Comment

for me it was clothes labelling and toy testing. Product liability and public liability, that type of thing. But it will be specific to your trader
                my folksy
                Kryshees Blog
                www.kryshees.com

Comment

Sounds a bit scary!

Comment

I agree with the scary bit!

I have all the public and product liability, but can't think what else they would be testing for with jewellery apart from if it easily falls apart (small parts are part of the course!) and I also buy all my metal jewellery parts from this country as other countries outside the EU do not have the same low nickel laws.

Is there anything else I should know?
                    http://eiledon.co.uk

http://eiledonworkingfromhome.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Eiledon View Post
                      I agree with the scary bit!

I have all the public and product liability, but can't think what else they would be testing for with jewellery apart from if it easily falls apart (small parts are part of the course!) and I also buy all my metal jewellery parts from this country as other countries outside the EU do not have the same low nickel laws.

Is there anything else I should know?
                      I think it will be mainly nickel compliance, and also I'm sure Mizgeorge will be along soon to remind us about the notice we need to display about hallmarking if any pieces contain silver.

I'm not sure that product and public liability insurance are compulsory, but they are certainly sensible to have, so I have mine in a plastic folder which I can easily carry around.
                      Annie

Comment

Originally posted by iBeads View Post
                        I think it will be mainly nickel compliance, and also I'm sure Mizgeorge will be along soon to remind us about the notice we need to display about hallmarking if any pieces contain silver.

I'm not sure that product and public liability insurance are compulsory, but they are certainly sensible to have, so I have mine in a plastic folder which I can easily carry around.
                        Yes its important to display the dealers notice if you sell anything you state is sterling silver, even if nothing actually goes above the 7.7g (ish can't remember the exact weight). You can get it here Birmingham Assay Office - My thanks to Mizgeorge for explaining it in another thread.

I also thought there were guidelines about clear pricing too, but I see many stalls with no prices at all, so not sure about that one.

cj
                        www.curiouscatcreative.co.uk
                        Become a facebook fan
                        Check out my blog

Comment

If you buy/use silver findings (already stamped 925) do you have to display a sign?

Also where can I find Mizgeorge's thread about it as I would like to read it

Lucie

Comment

Hi Lucie,

Yes, you do need to display a sign if anything you sell is sterling silver, regardless of where you bought the components. Also, if the weight of the silver in any individual piece is over 7.7g, the '925' stamp is not enough, you must send the piece off to an Assay office to be properly hallmarked, the 925 stamp is not a hallmark, contrary to what many people believe.

I was unsure of the exact regs until recently (I only use silver plated at the mo) - I'd need to dig back to find the thread with the info, butI'm sure if you search for 'hallmarking' in the forum search it'll bring the thread up.

Claire
                            Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
                            Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
                            www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

When you start selling to the public, whatever you sell, it is a good idea to contact your local TS dept - you will find them on your council website.

They are really helpful and talk through any legislation required, make friends with them to avoid any unpleasant surprises;-)

Jane
                              www.just-soaps.com
                              Twitter JUSTSOAPS

Comment

Working...
                              X