stock control software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stock control software

My current method (a book) of stock control is woefully inadequate. Does anyone use software to keep track of what you've made and what you've sold??

cj
    www.curiouscatcreative.co.uk
    Become a facebook fan
    Check out my blog

Hi
    I've used Quickbooks when I was a consultant in the city. I found it easy to use and will end up using again when I get the business up and running. At the moment I'm just using microsoft excel to do all my stock control, cash flow, pricng etc. I'm making my own spreadsheets as I'm used to it and have done it befire but you can easily down load examples from the internet to use. look up inventory, cashflow, stock control spreadsheets. I think businesslink have examples you can use on their website. 1066sussexenterprise.co.uk definately does. I'm not sure how big your need and business is but you can also get BOM sofware that is used to help when you use many bits of material to make one product e.g a car manufacturer buys in many car bits to make one car so the software manages the materials used. But that's probably a bit overkill for your requirements.

hth
    xxx
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2088423&id=1137991135#!/pages/Zing-Zing-Tree/369040987041
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zing-Zing-Tree-Projects/158254370871775#!/pages/Zing-Zing-Tree-Projects/158254370871775?v=wall

Comment

This lady on ETSY does some very good ones, craft related

Comment

Thanks both of you for your replies. I currently use excel to keep my accounts but I'd like something that I can tell it what i've made and tell it what I've sold and it knows where I am!

I'll definately check out your suggestions

cj
        Become a facebook fan
        Check out my blog

Comment

Hi CJ

I created myself database using Microsoft Access which keeps all my product details (including photos, prices, sizes, colour options, etc), customer details including orders, payment information, etc - for fairs I simply create a new customer record for the venue and all the sales go onto that.

From my database, I create my delivery notes, address labels for orders, catalogue, sales lists for any period of time, from a particular day/show to a full year which tells me exactly how many of each item/colour option has sold. You can create any specific list you want so I can break down my sales by venue, month, product, etc. I also have it to generate a list showing any orders I have to make. It makes my life so easy when adding new items to my website as I can bring up all the products still waiting to go onto the site. Each new product gets a unique reference number which is what I use to identify what has sold and also that is the reference which is used on my website so identifying similar items is made so easy.

It took some time to build but once you get going and learn all the little bits and pieces which are possible, it has made my life so much easier. No more forgotten sales, orders, etc. I do regret not building a stock quantity feature into it (may add it and do an update at some point in the future when I have time to update it all!) so that is done manually onto an Excel spreadsheet but having the list of sales generated in the same order as the list on my spreadsheet makes this very quick and simple.

The best thing of all is that as I have Office 2007, I already owned the software to do it so no extra expense. It does take a while to get it all together but I am so proud of my database which I built myself and I can add/amend the features any time I want!

Good luck - you won't regret getting everything automated! Just don't forget to back up regularly! (which reminds me... must go to do a back up....)
          Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
          Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
          Follow me on Twitter:
          @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

I bought a couple of great ready-to-go s/sheets from here, and they've been so easy to use. I need to be more disciplined about using them, but am anticipating a mammoth sorting-out session when I turn my spare room into a proper workroom, so will catch up with it all then!

I am a bit of am excel whiz, but I found the thought of all the linking and formula writing so depressing that I really didn't mind paying someone else to do the hard work for me. I'd probably have never got round to it if I'd had to do it myself as at the time I didn't know I'd be going handmade full-time, so now it definitely feels like money well-spent as it's a piece of cake to use and I won't be seeing cells in front of the eye!! I'd also never have got round to the reporting end of the package, either.

But, of course, if you have the spreadsheet knowledge, the time and the inclination, there's nothing to stop you setting up something similar yourself!

Sarah Gail Designs
            Sarah Gail Designs on Facebook
            Crafty Cat Events
            Crafty Cat Events on Facebook

Comment

Thanks Ali and Sarah!
              Become a facebook fan
              Check out my blog

Comment

Working...
              X