Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up at a Craft Fair

Hi Everyone,

I've got my very first craft fair next weekend ... a 3 day event. To say that I'm excited is a little bit of an understatement. I'm really looking forward to it, but am extremely nervous. The usual worries, have I got enough stock, have I got too much etc. etc. Anyway, I was wondering if I could ask a few questions to the seasoned Craft Fair attendees out there.

1. For 3 day events, is it usual to set your stall the day before?

2. Has anyone had any security problems with leaving your stall set up for the duration of the event?

3. How do you find it best to lay out your stall ... do you put everything out that you can or do you save some good bits for later?

4. The crafters with breakables ... do you place any signs regarding breakages whilst people are handling your goods?

Any tips, suggestions and help would certainly be appreciated.

One last thing ... will I see anyone else at Nostell Priory at the weekend? Peter... I know it's not far from where you live, are you going as I would love to see some of your fantastic creations in person.
    Caroline

You don't need talent to be artistic you just need patience!

www.potterdoodledoo.co.uk

Hi Caroline,

I have done a few 2 day events so will advise as best I can because every fair is different.

1. You would need to check with the events organiser if they have security on site before you would even think of setting up the night before. If they do you need to make sure you have craft insurance (we should all have this anyway due to the culture of suing - if that's how it's spelled).

2. I haven't had any security problems, but again it is a chance you will take if you leave your stock.

3. I have most of my nice goodies out but I do keep back a couple of specials so that later in the day I have something to attract people to the stall - but it is really up to you.

4. I don't have breakables but I have seen warning signs. Also you need to cover yourself. I know a lady who decorates real horseshoes - they are gorgeous but she has had to put warning notices up to cover in case someone drops one on their toe!!

Good luck and remember if it is an outdoor event, take a ground sheet and wear boots because even if it is lovely and sunny outside your feet will still get frozen standing on the grass.

All the best.

Lisa
    Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

We've always been able to leave our stall set up over night - I've done Nostell before and we definately left things set up then. Not sure if anyone had set up the night before, I always set up on the morning.

I only paint 2 or 3 of the same thing, but will only put one at a time out - if people like something and can only see one of it they are more likey to decide to buy then, if there is more than one they can decide to "come back later" - and they rarely do!!

Remember that little fingers like to touch and feel and many are not closely watched by parents, so don't put your very fragile pieces right at the front.

Plenty of change, plenty of patience and loads of humour - you'll have a great time!!
      Heidi
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/2919135...7621334751669/
      https://www.coriandr.com/shop?seller_id=886

Comment

Sorry Caroline - I've done enough craft fairs in the past to be totally allergic to them! I've also done Nostell Priory, and got put in one of the stables that even the horse couldn't find!

Comment

Lisa / Heidi,

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions, they're really well appreciated. One thing is clear ... I need change and plenty of it by the sound of things.

Lisa .. your comment about the grass is certainly a good one to note, I haven't thought about that at all. I'm a monkey for kicking my shoes off all day, I didn't think that being on the grass it would still be rather cold .. thanks!

Originally posted by Heidijw View Post
          Remember that little fingers like to touch and feel and many are not closely watched by parents, so don't put your very fragile pieces right at the front.
          Am stuck on that one ... everything I do is breakable. Guess I'll just have to scare them all away or put some child friend barbed wire around the front of the stall lol.

Originally posted by peter View Post
          Sorry Caroline - I've done enough craft fairs in the past to be totally allergic to them! I've also done Nostell Priory, and got put in one of the stables that even the horse couldn't find!
          Now you're scaring me ... I see enough horses on the farm, I don't want to get stuck in a stable all by myself :-( lol.
          Caroline

You don't need talent to be artistic you just need patience!

www.potterdoodledoo.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X