PMC Hallmarking Procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PMC Hallmarking Procedure

Hi everyone, I am delighted to have just 'happened' upon this website last night and am already hooked on it!

I feel this would be an ideal place to get a simplified answer to my queries on PMC hallmarking!

I have been using PMC for quite a while now and it was only when I decided that I would like to start selling it that I discovered that I would have to send off every single piece to an Assay Office for hallmarking.

Would someone be kind enough to talk me through this procedure, step by step?

I believe that it is unlawful to sell any PMC pieces that are more than 7.5 grams without an official Assay issued stamp.

In the early days I naively bought a 999 stamping tool thinking that I could hallmark my pieces by myself. Why on earth do suppliers carry such an item if they know that it should not be used?

Could you also let me know the cost of this process and how long it takes to receive the items back from the Assay Office.

Has this put any of you off selling this ‘simply marvelous product’?

Thank you so much

Regards

Sapph

Hi Sapph,

If you are claiming that your product is Sterling Silver , fine silver, gold platinum and or any other precious metal by law you are required if Silver is over 7.78 grams or 1 gram for gold it has to be hallmarked by an assay office. There are 4 to choose from in the UK.
    The hallmark (assay office ) is made up of several marks the first is a sponsors mark , a mark registered by the maker ,I have had my makers mark since 2001 [CMJ] ,then comes the stamping of the metal to indicate what it is ...925, sterling , 375 for 9 ct gold for example. then there is the assay office mark and then the date letter which is now optional but used to be a letter which indicated year of manufacture. The numerous punches and marks available that give 925,375,750 etc are for those that for example you make something in sterling silver its below 7.78 grms but you still want it marked so stamp it 925, in all honesty I just really see the point.!!
    For full pricing and instructions google London Assay office for example and it will give you all the info and prices and how to do it.

Two pieces of advice - if you have constructed a 18 ct ring and you use 9 ct gold solder then tell them on the form you have to fill in to accompany each piece other wise if they think you are trying to pull a fast one it will come back in several bits. Don't send a finished item , even polished and certainly do not set any stones, just the final constructed piece.As the method they use to test for the metal you request the stamping for may leave a small mark.
    Lastly be sure you do comply otherwise trading standards will jump down like a ton of bricks.
    I Melt Glass For a Living
    Website

Comment

WOW! I can't thank you enough for your speedy, informative and very honest reply!

If you don't mind I shall be in touch, with you, again!

Much obliged

Sapp

Comment

No probs Sapp, Glad to be of assistance, as a general price indicator, it can be quite confusing, roughly they charge you £15.50 for opening your envelope then 32p per item to assay and hallmark then 13p to add a sponsors mark, don't forget P&P and lastly if you want pmc hallmarked it really should be laser hallmarked becuase the normal method of smacking a stamp with a hammer may end up with your creation being broken.
        Any more advice just feel free to ask.
        I Melt Glass For a Living
        Website

Comment

Oh, Gawd! ... feel a bit sick now but mustn't let all that 'palaver' put me off!

I just adore working with PMC.

Thanks again

S

Comment

Working...
          X