Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning Down a Possible Contract

Hey there

I just received an email from someone asking me to design and supply him with novelty guinea pig clothes to sell. I so would have loved to do this, but then he linked to his breeding page
    So many of my customers are extremely passionate about anti-breeding, they would never come back to my shop! Then there's the fact that he linked me to a guinea pig costume site in america, and pointed out which ones he wanted me to make. Huge breach in copyright yes?

My OH says I should not go near this with a stick.

I'm a bit fed up, but reason how many guinea pig costumes could he possibly sell a month? It's not like I cant design my own, without ripping off anyone, and sell them on my site.

Copying other peoples designs is a big 'no no', both legally and morally. The fact he asked you to do this shows his lack of morals. I agree with your DH stay well away.

Comment

Just reading your post, I think you have already answered your own question. If you don't have a good feeling about it, don't do it - your heart won't be in it whilst making these items and this will show in your work.

Someone with the lack of morals that this buyer seems to have would waste no time at all in telling others that your work is not of top quality and then you will find yourself losing more than you gained in the first place.

Stick with your own gut instinct and don't let go of your own morals for anything.

Ali x
      Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
      Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
      Follow me on Twitter:
      @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

You've had some good advice here, and I don't feel able to add to it, but I just wanted to say that.....I had a look at your website a moment ago and it is SO CUTE!!!!!

Eliz
        Elizabeth

www.elizabethcampbell.org.uk

Comment

Thanks

I'd already emailed him back saying no, but wishing him well (I was very polite, even ignored the ripping off). What did I get back you say?

"Thank you but with that type of attitude and out look I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to accept you as a supplier"

I think it's pretty funny, being as I already have planned my own line of novelty pet clothes, which I can sell perfectly well myself, without ripping off anyone else! And without losing my loyal customers too.

Thanks Eliz - my range is still a huge work in progress, but I'll get there one day

Comment

Hmm - kind of says it all, doesn't it!!

I think you had a lucky escape as I am sure you would have had a complete nightmare working with this idiot... sorry, I mean gentleman!!

Ali x

PS - I also had a look at your site - really lovely stuff & great pictures! Now if I can only get my cats to shrink in size by about 75%.....
            Ali x

Follow me on Twitter:
            @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

What a horrible rude man Sounds like you have a lucky escape.

Comment

Thanks for your kind words - and yes, it does look like an easy escape!

I do make things for cats - the cuddler beds come in "kitty size", and I'm always happy to scale up any of my products when asked. I sold a kitty cuddler bed just last week actually

Comment

I would be tempted to send a message back saying

'With an attitude like yours, I am glad not to be one of your suppliers!!'

but that won't help anyone. Write it on the computer or a piece of paper then destroy it instead!! (the note, that is, not the computer!!)

People never fail to amaze me with how arrogant and rude they can be!!

I strongly believe in Karma and you can take comfort knowing what is heading his way sometime in the future!!

Ali x
                  Ali x

Follow me on Twitter:
                  @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Hey,

Wow, the cheek of some people!!! I love your ideas!!

xx
                    Dee x
                    Visit ZukieStyle for Handmade Fashion & Pet Accessories
                    Follow ZukieStyle for all the latest designs Facebook & Twitter
                    Read ZukieStyle's Blog Or Visit Us On Etsy!

Comment

Thanks

Some people have such bad attitudes!

Comment

Originally posted by Cavy Couture View Post
                        "Thank you but with that type of attitude and out look I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to accept you as a supplier"
                        Respond with 'thanks for your email but with your attitude and outlook I am unable to accept you as a customer'
                        If you really wanted to, send an email to the US company and let them know this person wanted you to rip off their designs so you declined but they should be on the look out for him trying to find less scrupulous suppliers.
                        Terry xxx
                        You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
                        Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

Originally posted by Cavy Couture View Post
                          Thanks

I'd already emailed him back saying no, but wishing him well (I was very polite, even ignored the ripping off). What did I get back you say?

Oh yes, definitely a lucky escape!!
                          digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
                          blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
                          hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
                          blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

It would be terribly mean to forward the email on to the American guinea pig clothes business, wouldn't it?

:O

Comment

Working...
                            X