Business Advice - Boooooooooo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business Advice - Boooooooooo!

Went to see a business advisor today and I came out feeling about 2" tall. She told me all about registering for tax etc, then she asked me a few questions about how much I make on each item and how long they take me to make them. Her reply was "you don't make much then do you!".

How rubbish did I feel? I reckon that 100%+ profit on each item is pretty good going. We all know that when you make things you never get paid much for your time but that's not the point is it?

Come on fellow grafters (oops, I mean crafters) is it all worth it?
    Helen

www.littlesnuggler.co.uk
    Total warmth and comfort for your baby and toddler up to 3 years

That sounds pretty unprofessional of her!!!

I do dream of being a full time crafter one day, with my own little workshop in the back garden of my detached house over looking the countryside, but at the moment I am realistic in that I am not making millions (well nothing at the mo actually) and have to go back to work on Monday

Saying that, there are some full time crafters on this site that are VERY successful. And you are one of them Helen - you are in demand remember!

I would say its worth it. If you love it then its worth it, no matter if your making £1 or £1 million. Ignore the mean business advisor woman!
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Thanks K K

I knew I was on the right track but just needed a boost! I'm just on the boundary of playing at it and doing it for real. Ben is 3 and Evie is 15 months so I know if I build it up now then by the time they are both at school I could have something big if I keep going. She just brought me down to earth a bit.

Thanks again.
      Helen

www.littlesnuggler.co.uk

Comment

I think you're on a winner with your Little Snugglers - they are FAB! I am a long way off needing one but will def get one if and when the day comes!!!
        Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Local Business Link

I went to ours for advice last year and had a similarly deflating, morale squashing interview.

The woman loved everything I'd made. She went on to tell me I wasn't costing them out properly, I wasn't charging the going rate for my time etc etc and that I should howk all my prices up much, much higher.

I was quite chuffed to think I could get the prices she was talking about, until she told me I was living in totally the wrong area to get those prices and that I'd probably need buy loads ofd extremely posh packaging, then to 'cold call' on London, Bristol & Bath shops, persuade them to sell my stuff (for a percentage!) in order to make those prices......!

We also found out that in certain areas the gov't throws money at you for start up grants, promoting arts & crafts etc but guess what, I live in the wrong area...again!

Chuffed turned to horrified very quickly, especially as, on the way home in the car we worked out that with posh packaging, petrol for cold calling trips and the price of getting my products to anyone in those cities who'd sell them, I'd be way way out of pocket! More out of pocket than I would have been using the original prices and selling at craft fairs & on eBay.

Took a very long time to build up my confidence again, but selling well at a couple of craft fairs was a huge boost. I know people like my stuff now - I just need to get it noticed a lot more.

I think you're doing really well! Don't let them get you down!

Jules
          Apple Tree Crafts
          www.appletreecraftfairs.com

Comment

I know how you feel. I had a man around this morning fom Opportunity Wales. I thought he was coming to help me out, but he had know idea about craft supplies, and when i mentioned hand made cards he thought they were what we just printed out. I was very dissapointed that he hadn't done any research to familiarise (sorry can't spell) himself with the market and all he seemed to do was slate the efforts i had made so far and the lack of sales i have had. I say stuff the professionals who think they know it all, at the end of the day we know our products and with a bit of hardwork and determination we will sell them.

Oh dear, just read what i've wrote so far, can you tell i'm on my 3rd bottle of wine to cheer myself up?
            Emma
            Luxury craft supplies & magnolia Stamps - Sassy Crafts
            Sassy Crafts Blog
            My Blog

Comment

That's interesting about the grants - does anyone know how you can find out if there is anything available in a particular area?
              Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Hello all
                I am very lucky, I realise after reading your posts, I have a very supportive business advisor who has been my rock whilst I have been building up Funky Hand. He has been able to get me grants from business link and the local councils to help with getting my first business cards printed, funded half my laptop and printer and also got me assistance with half the cost of the exhibition I just attended at the NEC. I suggest you get in contact with your local business link and see what they can do for you.
                Don't let people who have no idea about the craft industry tell you that you can't make money. Uninformed people think that crafting is done by a load of little old ladies in their back kitchen. It's a massive market and just because they don't know about it doesn't make it less than any other industry. (Can you tell that I have a bee in my bonnet about this?!) My eyes were opened very wide at the trade fair at the NEC two weeks ago..there is money to be made..you just have to go out and do it!!
                Anice xx
                Funkyhand x
                my website
                http://www.funkyhand.com
                my blog (updated 09/06/10)
                http://funkyhand.blogspot.com/
                Follow me on Twitter
                http://twitter.com/funkyhand

Comment

Thank you all so much, I feel much better now that I have slept on it. I will contact Business Link although the nearest one to me is in York (40 miles away). A grant sounds nice!

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again
                  Helen

www.littlesnuggler.co.uk

Comment

How do you find your nearest business link? Do they charge? Sorry, clueless as usual!!!
                    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

You can find details of business link by going to their website www.businesslink.gov.uk
                      Anice xx
                      Funkyhand x
                      my website
                      http://www.funkyhand.com
                      my blog (updated 09/06/10)
                      http://funkyhand.blogspot.com/
                      Follow me on Twitter
                      http://twitter.com/funkyhand

Comment

If anyone else lives in N.Ireland, its worth going to the InvestNI start a business course - its run over four weeks, and you get lots of really good advice about costings, pricing, taxes etc and then about two months later we both (my sister and I are in this together) got a grant for £200 - just need to keep good accounts and be able to show that we are actually going ahead with the business and not just after the grant! IF you need the contact, just google 'Invest NI'
                        www.cleocrafts.co.uk
                        for all your cardmaking supplies!

Comment

Originally posted by katian_krafts View Post
                          How do you find your nearest business link? Do they charge? Sorry, clueless as usual!!!
                          If you look on the Business Link website you can put your postcode in and it will tell you where the nearest one is.
                          Helen

www.littlesnuggler.co.uk

Comment

Keep your chin up folks - nothing would ever happen without the love you guys put into your stuff! And you can't put a costing on that!
                            Mel
                            Try a new way every day and work becomes play!

Comment

I will have a look on the business link web page too. Because I live in Scotland I do okay at craft fairs but there isn't the same disposable income as there is if I was in the London area (again all down to location). Hopefully the business link would be able to help out with getting the website better organised!

Bowed Over
                              Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
                              www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X