Does Anyone have their own shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Anyone have their own shop?

is there anyone on here who runs there own shop? (in a building rather than online or market i mean)
    i was just wondering roughly how much bills are - electricity and water rates. just a ballpark figure for a small shop (which sells gifts such as soaps etc) which only uses electricity for lighting & running the till, and the tap to fill the kettle!
    thanks

Will PM you
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

owning a shop

Hi
      I own my shop, if I had to pay rent or a mortgage I think I would find it very hard, lots of galleries and art/craft shops have closed in the towns around me. There are lots of little things that add up. card machine cost (fbs have good deals but it is a £150 to join) insurance, rates, water rates,phone and internet access. The list seems to grow each month. Although being my own boss is great and doing what I love best is worth it.
      Business link can sometimes offer help.
      good luck with your venture .
      silverworkz

Comment

do you think not having a card terminal (just accepting cash) would be a bad thing? probabily the most expensive item i'd sell would be under 10 pounds, it would only add up if people bought a lot of items, so i'd think people would have the cash on them, although, do you think it would put alot of people off being cash only?

Comment

Where about would you be thinking of opening a shop fordie?
          Sarah

Comment

a little town called cockermouth in cumbria. its full of little shops rather than big name shops. quite touristy. no soap shops there though!

Comment

Is there a good foot fall at the moment? Tourism is about to peek so thats a good start.
              Sarah

Comment

do you think not having a card terminal (just accepting cash) would be a bad thing?
                I did have a shop until about a year ago, and I think a card machine is something you really need. I resisted it for as long as I could, but less and less people were carrying a cheque book with them, and many people only had a bit of change in cash.

The machines are an added cost, but I think you risk losing sales if you don't have one, and sometimes you gain sales if people can pay with their card.
                Celia
                I can't be creative and tidy too
                www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
                The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
                Jencel on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by fordie View Post
                  do you think not having a card terminal (just accepting cash) would be a bad thing? probabily the most expensive item i'd sell would be under 10 pounds, it would only add up if people bought a lot of items, so i'd think people would have the cash on them, although, do you think it would put alot of people off being cash only?
                  I think nowadays people do expect to be able to pay by card - I have a £5 min limit otherwise you risk ending up with no profit on small purchases after the card charges. I haven't checked recently but about 30-40% of my weekly takings were through credit cards last year...suspect it might be higher now. One of the other independent shops on my street ended up getting a terminal about 6 months after opening as she was loosing sales.

However if your shop is very close to a cashpoint you might be able to do without. I've had some customers who spent under £5 who asked me to keep hold of the stuff while they nipped to the cashpoint...but most just see it as an excuse to buy a few more bits to bring it up to £5 and use their card

Comment

I'm still on the fence about the card thingi, I've a cash machine 2 mins walk away and our local co op across the road do cash back so at the mo we seem to be getting on fine with out it.

I did have a chap in today saying I should take payment via my laptop through paypal but not too sure about that one, it would keep the costs down but will have to see how my customers feel about that one LOL
                    Ger xx

My Blog

www.cullen-crafts.co.uk

Comment

Would the other shops in Cockermouth be prepared to tell you whether most of their sales are cash or card?
                      ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                      website
                      blog

Comment

they might, i should ask. although the way things are at the minute, maybe a shop is a bad idea in general, as no one is really spending money of any sort these days are they?

out of curiosity, how much does having a card terminal cost?
                        how does it work? do i have to rent the terminal then pay charges on the transaction to the terminal company and then bank charges at my own bank for the bacs transaction? what are the fees generally?

Comment

You either rent or buy the terminal, and then pay per transaction. If I remember right, credit cards were a %, and debit cards were a flat fee per transaction, about 35p a time.

Your bank shouldn't charge you for paying in, and a couple of banks do free business banking anyway.
                          Celia
                          I can't be creative and tidy too
                          www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
                          The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
                          Jencel on Facebook

Comment

I would LOVE to have my own shop!

I would really enjoy setting everything up and getting stuck in. I'd have other artists work/gifts for sale as well as my own work though.

I'd imagine it must be very hard work to run a shop, and a lot of your time would have to go into it.

Its definitely something I'm going to think about for the future

Comment

Originally posted by fordie View Post
                              out of curiosity, how much does having a card terminal cost?
                              how does it work? do i have to rent the terminal then pay charges on the transaction to the terminal company and then bank charges at my own bank for the bacs transaction? what are the fees generally?
                              I think it depends but ballpark figure is approx £30 +vat a month to rent and then charges on each transaction between 1.5% and 4% on credit cards and 25-40p on debit cards depending on how well you can negotiate (new businesses usually have to start high and then can use trading figures to renegotiate 6mths later). There's no extra charges from your bank on top of that I don't believe. I'm with the FSB and although it's £100 a year it means I get the terminal at half price and the transaction fees are lower too. Having a card terminal means you can also take payments over the phone which is handy.

Comment

Working...
                              X