Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being picky about who you sell to

[content removed]
    Last edited by waitingformagic; 02-07-2009, 06:07 PM.

How odd, I've never met anyone like that. Seems like she has an elevated view of her wares, putting herself in the league of the Bond St/Sloane St designer stores where you need an appointment to buy anything, which she clearly isn't if she's at a craft fair.

Oh well, I wouldn't worry about it, she's not going to sell that much if that's her approach.

Personally I'm grateful if anyone buys anything I've made, I welcome all sales.
    Elinor
    x

My Misi page
    Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Very strange, a customer is a customer as far as I am concerned irrespective of what they are going to do with the item they have bought. My primary goal is to sell my pieces , not make judgements on the people who buy them or the purpose for which they are bought.

Caroline
      silver jewellery at The Silver Jewellery Workshop
      bespoke handmade jewellery
      Silver Jewellery blog
      Handmade Jewellery Blog

Comment

The only people I have issues selling to are children who are out and about and making what I consider to be expensive purchases with out a parents approval. I have put a couple of kids off before as I feel that I might be seen to take advantage of a kid waving a tenner about. I have asked them to ask their parennts first.
        full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

what a strange way to run a business !

wonder how many people she puts off with that attitude. I love it that other people like my designs and would never put anybody off, in fact times I've offered to take things off my stall for someone who is ummming and ahhhing over it, sometimes they buy it sometimes they don't but I would have hated to have disappointed someone by selling it to another customer.

stranger still to go through all the trouble of having a website if she doesn't use it to makes sales

fully agree with the children/elderly and special needs.

aww well her loss
          Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes CAN change your life !!

my website http://www.ticketyboo-jewellery.co.uk
          my misi shop http://ticketyboo.misi.me.uk
          my blog http://ticketyboojewellery.blogspot.com/

Comment

Oh dear, a bad case of 'head up her own ass' syndrome if you ask me!
            Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by waitingformagic
              She was rather know-it-all... Banging on about hallmarks "did you know this means this area" - I did which kinda shut her up a bit (what can I say - I watch daytime tv, LOL) - and she got really quite snooty because she had her own hallmark as well.
              I think anyone can register to get their own hallmark. You have to do it through the assay office I think. When I did my jewellers silversmithing course they mentioned it. You can tell I was really paying attention
              Elinor
              x

My Misi page
              Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by onlyme View Post
                Is that the same as cranial rectal inversion?

Jane
                www.just-soaps.com
                Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I have been in business off and on for many years and my attitude is if they have the dosh they can have the goods. I would imagine your silversmith doesnt need the money, prob born with a silver spoon in her mouth. (No, don't say you hope it chokes her. lol)
                  Carol
                  God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
                    I have been in business off and on for many years and my attitude is if they have the dosh they can have the goods. I would imagine your silversmith doesnt need the money, prob born with a silver spoon in her mouth. (No, don't say you hope it chokes her. lol)
                    I wonder if she has her own hallmark on that spoon,lol

Comment

I've refused to sell something once and refused to make something twice
                      (that I can remember).

The first instance was earrings to a young lad who'd just had his ears pierced. You're not supposed to change the new studs until your ears have healed and it was obvious from what he said he intended to replace them straight away as the piercing ones weren't trendy enough!!!

I know he could've gone somewhere else but I explained why and believe it or not he waited and came back two weeks later. (Still not long enough but at least it wasn't freshly pierced!) I still suggested to him he wait another few weeks, doubt he did *shrug*

The second and third times were ring designs.
                      One was a pearl setting for someone who wears their rings constantly and does cleaning for a job. Said I wouldn't make it as the raised prong setting she wanted wouldn't be strong enough.

The third was someone who again did a very manual job and wanted a delicate tension set ring. I didn't want to be constantly repairing it so explained that it might not be suitable for heavy wear. We came up with an alternative design that was a lot stronger and she preferred (because she input into the design!)

So although I think the woman came across badly I can understand why she might not list some designs on her site...

Nic xx
                      **FREE to enter monthly draw on my BLOGS**
                      Different prize every month
                      Jewellery Creations & Shop Blog
                      PMC & Silver Clay Hints and Tips Blog

Comment

had to gently dissuade a lady with alzheimers once. I was at a fair and she bought a little charm from me ~ not expensive ~ but I began to realise that she had started to say the same things over and over and when she alighted upon the charms as if she'd not seen them before I had to suggest she have a look around elsewhere. I only sold her the one but to be honest she would have happily kept on buying them all until they were gone!!
                        www.littlebead.blogspot.com
                        www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

Originally posted by onlyme View Post

ha ha ha ha

Takes allsorts, I guess. Me, I'll sell to anybody after all a sale is a sale, especially in these depressed times.
                          Ruby xx

Website - Cosy Candles & Aromas
                          Blog - Ruby's Crafty Diary
                          Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by waitingformagic
                            Hope I don't have to deal with this... I did stands for a photo company last year in malls etc and you could guarantee one of the days would include the day that patients of a local carehome were allowed out by themselves... Which is really unpleasant when you don't realise that's where they're from and you do your sales pitch and they happen to win your competition!

sorry how is that unpleasant, I have a special needs daughter and I hope nobody finds it unpleasant to deal with her.
                            While I'm aware not everybody is used to dealing with people with special needs it doesn't mean they have to stay hidden away

My OH is the manager of a special needs care home and works hard for the community his is based in to accept his service users for who they are not what they are, i hope that is how people will feel about my little girl

Comment

Originally posted by beckyboo View Post
                              sorry how is that unpleasant, I have a special needs daughter and I hope nobody finds it unpleasant to deal with her.
                              While I'm aware not everybody is used to dealing with people with special needs it doesn't mean they have to stay hidden away

My OH is the manager of a special needs care home and works hard for the community his is based in to accept his service users for who they are not what they are, i hope that is how people will feel about my little girl

Absolutely. I have worked over the years with many special needs groups. Most recently I was working with a group of special needs adults creating a massive 6 foot by four foot paper mosaic collage. It was one of the most enjoyable jobs I've ever done. You get out of that what you put in.
                              I was really thrilled when my door prize was won by a local lady with extreme special needs. I loved the fact that she now wears my item with pride. It was special to her and to me.
                              full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Working...
                              X