Product and Public Liability Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product and Public Liability Insurance

Wow. Am in a quandary. I am a printmaker exhibiting in galleries but I am also hoping to do 2 craft fairs this year, both of them a decent size. I have just started looking into the insurance aspect of the booking process having been taken aback somewhat to see a box on the form about Public Liability Insurance - this is something that the venue in reality must be covered for - am not particularly surprised because the Insurers of the World have the money side of things well and truly sewn up - get as many people to pay for the same cover as possible and you make a tidy profit.

Product insurance is a personal matter and each one of us must take our decisions on that - but I am frustrated that as a very occasional craft fair stallholder I might have to pay out X-amount - how much??? for something which frankly the venue should be covering (public liability).

Am no longer sure whether to bother with this - please can somebody advise about sensible options? If I were planning on more fairs then I'd be less miffed - it's not as if I'm planning on erecting my own and potentially unstable venue structures - am using and paying to use somebody else's.

Does everyone have this insurance? Does anyone go against the grain? Sorry for long post, am just concerned. Thank you for any guidance.

Fi
    www.artistsandillustrators.co.uk/FionaHumphrey (portfolio page)

LOL - me again. Ok, am really keen to go ahead with my plans and a couple of my online searches suggest that C.M.T.I.A. might be reasonable but that also it is possible to get single event insurance - has anyone had this and would you mind saying how much it was? Certainly the £40-50 range is great for someone doing a number of fairs over the course of the year, but as I only want to do 2 am still hoping to pay out less than that.

Many thanks!

Fi

Comment

I would have thought that a venue would have public liability cover, which the "hirer" should benefit from.. and a professional fair organiser should also have event cover.. try folk like moonbeam angel who (if I remember rightly) arrange fairs as well as attend in their own right..

You should also consider your own public liability for your product iff appropriate.. for example if you made cosmetics, you might be held liable if your soap caused a rash, or a jeweller for damage caused by poor finishing and so forth.. THis cover is for your product, not specifically for being at a fair... so it would cover you for anything you sell, no matter where.

But if you are selling prints.. perhaps there would be a very low assessment of risk, and you might decide it was not worth taking insurance.. but best to consult with a broker or insurer about the potential risk before deciding...

Comment

There are several threads on here about public liability insurance and you really should have it if you are exhibiting as well as craft fairs. Most craft fairs will want you to have public liability insurance although they and the venue will also have that cover. It is a sign of the times, but essential. Search for the other threads about this as there is lots of info on insurers etc.
        Cynthia
        http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Fi - look into insurance meant for artists. It should be much cheaper and they'll be sympathetic to your needs.

I'm just saying this because I had a thing with my son juggling with knives and fire. You go to normal insurers and they go Whah! Fire! No!. You go to juggling insurers and they go Oh fire..yeah...anything else...no probs.

I would offer to find you names and addresses but I was digging about 13 years ago and the info will be out of date. But there are lots of s p e c i a l i s t insurers out there. They are not always obvious - like one is Equity, the actors 'trade union' and another the National Market Traders Federation. The joining fee gives you the insurance and a lot of incidental benefits.
          Think out of the box.
          They'll never be able to fit you in one anyway (I refer to a thread where an insurer wanted someone to change s e x!)

AnnieAnna

Comment

Hi Fi,

I thougt I'd chip in on this one as I know one of the fairs you're thinking of doing is the one I'm orgainsing.

Venues & organisers will (or certainly should) hold their own public liability insurance, which will cover things like if someone falls down the steps to the entrance on slippy ice, or if a light fitting falls and clonks someone on the head, but this insurance generally will only cover the venue's property and fittings.

The stallholder public liability will cover injuries & things arising directly from their stall. For example, if I was at a fair and some kid came along, picked up one of my earrings, shoved it in their mouth and choked, my insurance would cover any related medical expenses for that accident, but because it was my product that caused the 'accident', the venue's cover would not cover me in that instance. There is also product liability, which covers things like someone having an allergic reations to your product. My cover also covers me for theft & damage and things like that too.

We realise that not everyone will have their own insurance, which is why we have also provided the option of signing a disclaimer instead if stallholders feel their products are low risk.

You will find fairs who don't ask to see liability insurance - that doesn't necessarily mean it's not required, just that the organiser hasn't thought about it, or doesn't realise that it is needed.

HTH

Claire
            Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
            Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
            www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

Thanks to all for your replies.

It's only my view but the only reason we need all this insurance is because insurance companies won't take cases to court because most of the time it would cost them more, handy too because they make most of their money out of policies. It's win win for them (whatever they might say ), and a lot of people with dubious claims get compensation that they wouldn't get if the case went to court. Sadly as a society we have allowed ourselves to get into this situation so now everyone thinks they need cover for all sorts of things. Sigh.

Claire - I hope you didn't mind me posting on here, and I appreciate your reply - obviously as a newbie to craft fairs I need as much help as possible lol. As a printmaker it is hard to envisage any situation where anyone using anything I have on my stand in its proper manner could have a claim - BUT I do understand that this is the way things are these days and I will bite the proverbial bullet and get some insurance - I do want to do the fairs after all, so I need to get along with the custom and practice of craft fairs. Hey ho.

I will make enquires and sort it out but if anyone else has any more suggestions then that would be great - otherwise I shall check out the tips given and see what I can unearth. If I find some fantastic deal I'll let you know!

THANKS AGAIN.

Fi

Comment

At the end of the day, it's your choice whether to be insured or not. No-one can make you protect yourself if they are not asking for proof, but for whatever reasons, being faced with the reality of the quite low costs of insurance is much better than the potential risk of being sued.

If you are an artist, one of your items could fall or be knocked into someone or they could take an allergic reaction to the materials used, or trip over the cover on your table, or the leg of your table. They might even bump into you and fall on the floor - all scenarios you could potentially be sued for. Sad world, but sue culture is growing here.

I wouldn't give away or sell any product I had made without insurance for products I buy in and make. It's not about how much it costs for one or two fairs as the publicity can lead you onto many more fairs and more purchases.
                ------------------------------------------------
                My Online Store

http://www.scentedpillarcandles.co.uk

http://www.handmadepromises.com

http://www.makecandles.co.uk

http://www.candlesscents.co.uk

Comment

Hi - I have decided to go with the flow on this one and I will get insurance cover. I can't imagine how any paper product is going to hurt anyone even if they run headlong into it lol - mind you there are always display issues, so fair enough.

Thank you to everyone who replied, your views have all been helpful.

Fi

Comment

Originally posted by inkyprints View Post
                    Hi - I have decided to go with the flow on this one and I will get insurance cover. I can't imagine how any paper product is going to hurt anyone even if they run headlong into it lol - mind you there are always display issues, so fair enough.

Thank you to everyone who replied, your views have all been helpful.

Fi
                    Best to really, I once knew a girl who ended up having to sell her house to meet a claim as she wasn't insured correctly

Jane
                    www.just-soaps.com
                    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Wow Jane - scary story - out of interest, was that a public or product liability claim?

It's the former that niggles most and if she almost lost her house in a public liability claim due to something at a craft fair then either her legal representation was inadequate or there's more to the background of it all. Product liability is different and really you only have to look at the diversity of products to see that the risk is vastly different from one thing to another.

I just don't want people to be unduly worried - it is, in my opinion, highly unlikely that a successful public liability case can be made against a stallholder using facilities in the manner they were meant to be used. If anyone finds themselves in that position (mind boggles), they should get decent representation and there'll be a counterclaim against the venue before you can blink.

Anyway - I shall be getting both types of insurance so as to conform to trade practices.

I think some people may think I am criticising those who have insurance - far from it, please don't misunderstand. It's the insurers who irritate me - things have definitely got out of hand in the insurance world and we're all (and this includes the venues) paying for it - literally.

Anyone who has felt offended in even the slightest way - this was unintentional and I am sorry.

Cheers. .

Fi

Comment

The insurance I mentioned was regarding a girl not having business use insurance on her car, and fatally hitting someone whilst using her car for business.

Most people have Public liability on their homes, glad I did when my son aged 14 smashed into a brand new BMW on his skate board, he did £4000 worth of damage.

All sorts of accidents can and do happen at events, sadly, and knowing that you are covered takes away one more worry.

Jane
                        www.just-soaps.com
                        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Jane - oh absolutely - business insurance on own cars is something that catches a lot of people out I think, one that is easily overlooked and of course, sadly, the risk of damage and injury in the car is a very real risk.

As for public liability elsewhere I agree - I was only querying it where a stallholder is using equipment and facilities in the proper manner at a venue such as these large craft fairs where they are required to have public liability cover.

Thank you everyone for your views and information - much appreciated and as I mentioned before, I am getting the same insurance as everyone else.

Cheers,

Fi

Comment

now here we all are trying to be good and covering all eventualities and I was told off for having too much insurance. I've got two policies as neither cover everything I do. But they overlap on a couple of things....so if anything happens someone (I hope it's not going to be me) is going to get a headache over which company is going to pay up.
                            AnnieAnna

Comment

Oh AnnieAnna now that one beats all - poor you! You just can't win sometimes.

I've been sorting everything out and am feeling a lot happier - as a couple of people have rightly said, at least insurance takes the worry out of things a bit. Here's hoping none of us ever need to use our insurance, but at least it's there.

Fi

Comment

Working...
                              X