woody advise please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• woody advise please

The luvly Goldy found me a lapp machine the other week, its now rebuilt and working and Im shapeing and polishing gemstones.
    But certain stones will not polish on anything but wood, found out that I need a 8in circle of waterproof wood that has a surface that is soft enough to allow a slurry of powder and water to grip the surface.
    The USA use 10mil redwood slices, but what is our equivalent, have thought of trying marine ply, but will that delaminate when wet and spinning at 3000rpm!
    Any woody advise welcome

Interesting problem. Thinking of the grain of the wood as an aid to holding the polishing compound, maybe Oak would do the trick? Should be able to pick up a woodturning bowl blank fairly cheaply.
    Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistant one.
    - A. Einstein

Hand crafted Driftwood gifts and homewares from North Devon
    www.whitepebblebay.co.uk

Comment

Beech would probably do... or, maple, for that matter, rubberwood. How about a visit to Wilkinsons or a £1 shop, and look for a cheap chopping board? If it all fails horribly, you've only lost £1 or £2!
      Cheers,
      Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
      Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

have thought of trying marine ply, but will that delaminate when wet and spinning at 3000rpm!
        It shouldn't delaminate when wet - 'cos that's what it's designed for. However there's also water/boilproof ply which might stand up to the process better.

Do you have a timberyard/merchant anywhere near where you could cadge a few offcuts to try?
        ElaineJ soap and other stuff
        website
        blog

Comment

I think you should experiment as much as you can. Try various hardwoods like oak, elm, ash, lime, beech etc. I would sat away from Marine ply as I would be concerned with whats in the glues and if it has copper arsenic preservatives. I am sure you could pick up some cheap pyrography blanks of ebay.

Sorry I cannot be more help.
          Mozzy

My (new) blog
          http://metalfarquhar.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks all thats given me a few ideas to work with, have also been told that perspex works better than wood if its roughed with 1200 grit wet and dry. Time to do some experimenting

Comment

Best of luck! Wouldn't surprise me if the £shop placcy chopping boards or or rigid placemats work just as well - bet they'd be in the same sort of hardness range...
              Cheers,
              Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
              Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Ok Ive bought 2 pizza metal dishes,it cost £1 each then £1 for a perpex disc, could work or not i will tell you in a day or 2

Comment

Fingers crossed.
                  ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                  website
                  blog

Comment

Working...
                  X