Selling crafts at a carboot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling crafts at a carboot?

Someone suggested to me selling my crafts at local carboots. Now the local carboots presently don't have any craft stalls. Has anyone tried it? Did it work? If you haven't tried it would you? Or do you think it's a waste of time and effort?
    www.belovedly.co.uk
    www.mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com
    www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Hi,
    I have tried selling my jewellery at car boot sales around the Lanarkshire area. At first it went quite well, with me clearing out a lot of silver jewellery that I had made and didn't have a ready market for....gradually I noticed that people were wanting less expensive, costume jewellery items, so I produced lots of that type of thing....then they were wanting things for next to nothing, so I started selling "bought-in" body jewellery - could not keep up with the demand and made quite a lot of money,
    After two seasons of this, I decided that it was soul destroying and went back to making "real" items of jewellery.
    http://www.westofscotlandcraftfairs.com

Comment

I personally wouldn't sell at a car boot.
      The mind frame of people whilst they are at a car boot, is to pick up something cheaply.
      Others may feel differently though
      Jane
      www.just-soaps.com
      Twitter JUSTSOAPS
      FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
      Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I have had people try to encourage me to sell at car boot sales too... but I personally think that the people that go to buy are looking for bargains and wont spend much money per item! A bit like eBay? It might be a good idea if you sell lots of small cheaper items. I dont think you have to pay to do a car boot sale do you? So if not, you could always give it a go.

Comment

Yup - I agree... fine if you want to sell cheap tat, otherwise pointless!
          Cheers,
          Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
          Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Yes I agree too, people at car boot want cheap items and will not appreciate handcrafted items at all, it may not cost much, but I think it'd be a waste of time
            "Human beings, who are almost remarkable in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" - Douglas Adams

Blog: http://janscardscraftsandmusings.blogspot.com/
            Twitter: http://twitter.com/JanJackman
            Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6759167?ref=nf

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Comment

Tried it, hated it! We spent from 6.30am to lunchtime in a cow pen at an auction mart car boot sale. On the plus side the cow pens were under cover which was good because it never stopped raining, in fact in barely got light! I think I sold about £8 of jewellery. The people who did buy were very nice but on the whole they expected stuff to be priced at about 10p! I wouldn't say it's a terrible idea but I would research your venue very carefully and maybe just look on it as an experiment?
              www.jennynevedesigns.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9043479?ref=mf

Comment

I wouldn't even consider it.
                Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yes, I have to admit I thought it was a bad idea too. I just didn't want to outright dismiss it without any consideration. It was a none crafter who suggested it, I was guessing there was a reason why craft stalls on carboots was just something you don't see. I may take along a few crafty bits and bobs next time I am doing a carboot to clear out my junk and see what happens with them though.
                  www.belovedly.co.uk
                  www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

Car boot sales are great for getting rid of your junk.
                    I have managed to sell, old records, unwanted gifts etc. and been happy with money made.

But not for genuine handmade crafts - you are worth more than that.

Jane
                    www.just-soaps.com
                    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

All the car boots round here specify no new goods, so I figured it just wouldn't be a place to sell.

Buying on the other hand is different, they sure are good places to pick up beads cheaply
                      www.jos-beaded-designs.com

Comment

Yes I was going to say some won't let you in.
                        Some specify second hand goods only.
                        And they charge you a bit - like £5.
                        AnnieAnna

Comment

Car boots in my area allow traders of new goods. There are a few new tool stalls, sweetie stalls, garden ornament and several garden centre traders. My thought when I started this thread was maybe if I started doing it then I could perhaps change the face of our local carboots slightly if other crafters saw me doing it and thought what the heck I'll have a go at that too. I envisaged a craft section of the carboot alongside the garden centre section and the tool section, if you get my drift.

In truth though I don't do mornings, so a bit daft of me to pretend that I would even consider getting out of bed before 10am on a regular basis!
                          Luckily my baby boy has the same opinion when it comes to mornings
                          www.belovedly.co.uk
                          www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

I agree with the others - car boots aren't the place to sell handcrafted items unless you're happy to sell them for 50p each!!

I think it would seriously undervalue handmade goods in general if thy were easily available at car boot prices.

Car boots are great for buying old bits of jewellery and breaking them up though to make new things with . Oh, and for selling all of the junk in the loft - in my 'car booting' experience people will buy all sorts of old and broken tat, but not decent nearly new things

Claire
                            Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
                            Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
                            www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

I did a carboot today on a spur of the moment decision late last night. I didn't take any of my craft stuff just my junk. I found exactly the same as the last post states. The good quality nearly new stuff (Gap bootcut jeans) didn't sell but the rubbish stuff (used chopping board) did.
                              People are amazing aren't they?
                              However, while I was there I bumped into a friend who said he was renting out a workshop/shop at a local craft centre for peanuts and was doing really well.
                              So although I only left £30 up, I have a very, very bright idea!
                              www.belovedly.co.uk
                              www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

Working...
                              X