Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toy production: Fair-trade or commercial resources

Hello there!

I make handmade toys with knitted sweaters. My demand is steadily increasing so I've started looking into getting some of my toys produced. I've never done anything like this before so I was wondering if there is anyone here who's had their toys/stuffed animals produced either through commercial or fair trade means. If there is, I would love to hear your experience and if possible the organization who supplied you with the work.

Thanks, any info would be greatly appreciated! I just don't know where to start.

Maribel
    Maribel Made

Hey it's not quite the same but I decorate bags & was originally making the bags too but again demand exceeded my ability to produce adequate numbers & I found a company that spe******es in making good quality, natural cotton, organic & ethically produced bags by just typing search questions into google until I got an answer - it's a bit long winded & I hope that someone replies to you with a better answer but until then google is a pretty good place to start.

PS congratulations on your success - you must be doing something right!

Comment

aw WOW! Your monkeys are great! But what i REALLY like is the Bourbon Rose brooch. I could really do with one of those in red! Can you PM me and advise me where i could buy one?

xxx
      Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

For Maribel,
        this is just my personal experience as a teeny weeny seller person who has realised for some time she is a busy fool and not a wise business woman. (That title comes from Carolee. I just love it. )

In England I have used impoverished students and bored out of their mind grannies. The feel good factor is great but the students soon realise they can earn more serving behind the bar and the grannies are bored because they are recovering from operations or are crippled with arthritis. Their health see saws. All in all, they are not reliable suppliers although the quality of work from the grannies is superb.

Out of England I'm buying stuff from Chile which is being made in Peru. Again it's all very worthy, trickling money to impoverised women in remote areas so they can feed their kids and keep them in school but business wise it's a nightmare. I'm playing Chinese whispers with my middle women and men. My Chileans have computers, my Peruvians don't. Their orders are done by phone. They run out of credit in the middle of conversations.
        I'm having to anticipate future sales as orders are taking a year to come through. Payment is a nightmare - they don't have bank accounts, let alone take credit cards. I'm sending money by Moneygram (I pay cash into my Post Office and they take the cash out of their Post Office but my Post Office is really unhelpful. (I'm talking of wanting to pay a specific amount in another currency to settle a bill. I clog up the counter for half a hour while we try to work out how much I need to pay in English money.)
        The other thing you need to be aware of is that your foreign suppliers are sticking to EU rules. There's a blue dye that's banned, are they using it? Is the stuffing in toys fire proof? The little Guatamalan worry dolls have wire in their arms....just lots of problems to solve.

(Of course if you are a rich big, company, you can fly to Singapore, and get stuff made to your specifications. like my husband's company did, but they borrowed millions to set up, sold up and most people lost their jobs.
        I don't owe anybody anything and I'm still working and I know I have injected moments of happiness into a few people's lives. )

I endorse the googling advice - but it can be frustrating if their supplies dry up....because they are getting their stuff made in China or wherever.
        I think, because we live on a small well developed island we don't realise the distances and rough conditions other countries have to contend with.

Anyway, best of luck with your venture.
        AnnieAnna

Comment

Originally posted by Maribel Made View Post
          Hello there!

I make handmade toys with knitted sweaters. My demand is steadily increasing so I've started looking into getting some of my toys produced. I've never done anything like this before so I was wondering if there is anyone here who's had their toys/stuffed animals produced either through commercial or fair trade means. If there is, I would love to hear your experience and if possible the organization who supplied you with the work.

Thanks, any info would be greatly appreciated! I just don't know where to start.

Maribel
          Hi & good luck with the search
          Sarah

Comment

Thank you Sarah!

Originally posted by autumn rose View Post
            Hi & good luck with the search
            Maribel Made

Comment

Maribel, Just wanted to let you know that i recieved my brooch!! Iv been wearing it ever since. Im totally in love with it!!!
              It arrived beautifull packed. Loved the pink paper wrapping!!!

Thanks again!!
              Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

Working...
              X