Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do I wait??? what to do next

Me (again).

Ok, so I'm organising a craft fair (you all know that) I have sent out booking forms to those who requested them saying that they wanted a stall.

On the booking form I have stated "first come, first served......please reply by 31st January at the latest"

I have sent out more booking forms than spaces in case people change their minds. (hence first come, first served)

Right, so my question is this, what do I do next? In the past when I have organised fairs, people who have requested booking forms have always replied quickly. This time it's different, I know I still have a couple of weeks until the end of the month but what do I do if I still have not received replies?

What would you do? would you chase these people for a response or go on and ask other people?

What do you do when you have asked for a booking form, do you reply straight away?

My problem is that if I go ahead and ask other people I will then have far too many people to stalls and then I will be sending cheques back with apologies. BUT, if I sit and wait and these people dont reply, I will have empty spaces and probably not enough money to pay for my outlay.

Does this all make sense???? Am I worrying unnecessarily?
    Diane
    Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

For me it's a no brainer. Since you specified ''first come, first served'' and you've had no replies, I would send out more forms. Business is business. You want to fill the tables. ''first come, first served'', for me, overrides the deadline of 31st jan. If I book a fair and it says ''first come, first served'' I'd email to book then send the completed booking form within a week. My 2p.
    Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Thanks, I did think that but thought I would get other crafter's/organiser's opinions etc.
      Diane

Comment

I've been chased last week for a fair but I would have sent the booking form if I had wanted to book it.

When is the fair?
        Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

7th March so I still have time to ask other people and there are a few to ask, but at the moment I have asked the people who make things that are a little different or unusual. I have a directory of Essex Crafts people to go through and could get loads of cards or jewellery but don't want more than two of each. I also have details of crafters I have used before.

I suppose I just feel a little bit let down. After all these people have asked me for booking forms, I havent cold called them. They had all the details before I sent out the forms, if they have changed their mind then fine, but they could let me know, if they don't to speak to me they could email! that is what I would do (and have done) or is that just me?
          Diane

Comment

ok I'm guilty if I am not going to do a fair, I only reply by email. So if I get a booking form by post, I am less likely to reply if it's a no, than if I have been emailed. Does that make sense? You can't also guarantee that Royal Mail has done its job and if sent by post, that it did reach the stallholder. If there are some crafters you really want there, send them a little friendly nudge?

It's only a month and a half away, I'd definitely send more forms this week.

Comment

I would send out more forms, you need to make sure you have a full fair not wait around for maybe/maybe nots. Perhaps as January is a lean month, people don't have money and are too embarrassed to say hoping to be ok by end of month? Just a thought but still not reason enough in my opinion to wait around for them.

Example: Once, not too long ago, I was as skint as a skint thing and a fair was coming up, I asked for a place, explained my position, had every intention of honouring my plea but the organiser said can't wait. I really needed to earn money but I fully understood their position. Money talks and 'the other thing' walks

I wish you success in filling all the places
              Terry xxx
              You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
              Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

Originally posted by Bea View Post
                I've been chased last week for a fair but I would have sent the booking form if I had wanted to book it.
                I'm ashamed to say I'm dreadful at sending back forms etc, if I don't do it straight away it gets lost amongst the millions of other things I mean to do. So personally I always need a gentle nudge so appreciate being chased but prefer it by email than phone as it feels less pressured.

Editted to add that I think you should still send out extra forms to other people as well as email a gentle reminder to the first lot It's got to better to have too many and turn some down than not have enough.
                Last edited by nattynetty; 17-01-2009, 12:04 AM.
                Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

If you have email addresses for these people then you could email them next week reminding them of the 31 Jan deadline to apply and if you dont hear anything nearer to that date, then go ahead and ask the other people and hope you get a better response from them

The fact that you've stated first come, first served covers you for an over subscription of stall holders and hopefully you would have a waiting list.

Comment

I agree with what everyone else has said about a reminder email and sending more forms.

One thing I'd include in the email is to ask them to let you know even if they're not doing it "so you can let other interested people know they have a place as soon as possible".
                    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Maybe I'm being too harsh, but I don't think it's your responsibility to chase people who haven't responded. If you're having to follow up with them now, can you rely on them later on?

It may be that by requesting a form they thought they were expressing interest rather than confirming they will book, and now, for whatever reason, have changed their mind but don't realise you are expecting a response. I would get in touch with additional stallholders now and make your decision on who to book once you pass the deadline.
                      www.CeeGeeJewellery.com Handcrafted Sterling Silver Jewellery
                      www.EvaBeanBeads.etsy.com Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads
                      Etsy - Folksy - BLOG

Do you Twitter? Follow us!
                      Find us on Facebook! Add to your profile for news and freebies...

Comment

Thank you for all the excellent advice, I have checked my file and I am actually over half way there, so not as bad as I first thought.

I will give those I have email addresses for, a gentle, polite nudge this week.

I will also go through my directory and invite a few more people. As you all say, I have stated first come, first served so have covered myself.

I suppose what has really got my goat is one couple in particular, they are people who I have known through crafting for some years, they kept asking if I would organise fairs again. I saw them on the 6th December at a fair, they asked if I had booked a venue yet, I said I had and they asked me for a booking form there and then and said they would definitely be coming. I saw them again on 13th December at another fair and again they confirmed they were coming and were actually promoting the fair to other crafters. I have heard nothing from them. Now to me that is just rude, however, I expect that because they told me they were coming they probably think its ok to let me wait for the money. Well, it's not!

Hopefully they will have a big shock and when their money does arrive - I will be fully booked!!!!
                        Diane

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and advice, I have now gone through the directory and have found a few more people to ask. There is also a young girl my parents were next to at a fair before Christmas, she is new to fairs and her stall wasnt that great (the goods were, it was her set up) but we all have to start somewhere so I have emailed and asked her if she would like to come along.

I will also do some gentle chasing tomorrow.

So, hopefully, I will be oversubscribed by this time next week!!!!
                          Diane

Comment

Working...
                          X