Friends and family Discount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friends and family Discount?

Is it wise to allow friends and family to purchase items you are selling for less than the general public.

I am thinking about having a discount of maybe 20% for F&F.

Does anyone else have a discount for F&F?,
    if so what is the discount?

Thanks

Jake

I do a discount for family - none of my friends have ever bought anything from me!
    My discount for family would be about 10-15%. My discount for my sisters is very high, I tend to just get them to buy the stuff they need and I make them for nothing. Terrible really, but I do love them very much! They help me out for nothing and used to lend me their printer for work when mine broke
    My Website www.rheadesigns.co.uk

My Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dumfri...4443824?ref=ts

My Blog
    http://rheadesigns.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't do a discount as such, but sometimes I let them make up the price, or I knock a couple of quid off
      MISI - http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=741

Comment

I wouldn't charge my immediate family for anything I make and there's a couple of close friends whom I wouldn't charge, mainly because they are all very generous to my family but then again they never ask me for many things so it doesn't add up to a lot.

I do charge other friends though and neighbours, usually give them around 10/20 % discount

Comment

yeah when a friend does want to buy something once in a blue moon i jsut make up a price, normally it's like 50% cheaper, only because it rarely happens and they're all so supportive etc.

but if you're making it a permanent thing for f+f 20% does sound about right
          x

Comment

we sell the majority of our cards for £1.25 we only charge out Mums £1 , first of all they flatly refused to accept our discount as we've had a bit of a tough year financially but I insisted and now they don't argue, they do a lot for us which is nice but I think they like to think that even with the discount they are helping us out financially and they're happy with that
            www.sunrisecards.co.uk
            http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...5877781?ref=ts
            http://www.facebook.com/pages/sunris...all&ref=search

Comment

Dont make freinds and have disowned the family, saving a fortune

Comment

i do a discount for all kinds of people,
                family,
                friends,
                fellow stall holders,
                people who are nice about my work,
                people who haggle so long and so much i just want them to go away....
                but then i might be a little soft....i try to make sure i'm still making a profit!

generally i wouldn't work out a percentage i would just round stuff down to the nearest round number if that makes sense!

portfolio: www.suzielda.co.uk

buy online: www.mooart.com

Comment

I do charge friends and family less, I don't know the exact difference but around 20% sounds about right with a little rounding here and there as I like to charge to an exact £ or 50p value. So for a pair of earrings I would sell for £6.50 to a stranger I would sell for either £5 or £5.50 to f&f depending on the person.

I keep a database of info on each item I make, calculating its materials costs and adding labour then work out a selling price and a discount price then. So if anyone wants to buy that item, I just look it up as the thinking has already been done for me. I find that makes it easier.
                  Elinor
                  x

My Misi page
                  Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by urbtaf View Post
                    Dont make freinds and have disowned the family, saving a fortune
                    He doesn't offer discounts to anyone else either . . . . . . he always asks me decided on discounts!

And everything Elzi says and does, so do I.

Seriously though - my friends and family aren't particularly supportive - not that they're nasty, just not into the kind of things I make. However, one of my friends asked me to make her some pearl & swarovksi jewellery and I only charged her the cost of the materials - but it was almost £50 worth! I also made a gorgeous swarovski bracelet for my sister but rather than charge her for it, I decided to give it to her for her christmas present as she was going to buy one from a craft fair and was prepared to pay £30 for it.

If one of my friends buys from the stall, I try to do a quick calculation of what it cost me and then charge them a bit more than the cost price. I've only had to work out these cost for Goldy so far and she's of the opinion that I don't charge enough anyway.
                    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

No you don't Charge enough.
                      I am willing to pay your full price and you know me I always hunt out the bargains. It is all appreciated I assure you.
                      "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
                      my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

thanks everyone, iv decided 20% will be enough discount

now i just need to work out what everything costs me gonna be a long day, when i get round to it

Comment

Originally posted by snowgoose View Post
                          Is it wise to allow friends and family to purchase items you are selling for less than the general public.

I am thinking about having a discount of maybe 20% for F&F.

Does anyone else have a discount for F&F?,
                          if so what is the discount?

Thanks

Jake
                          Not crafts - but we do a F/F type discount, although we don't tell people about it in advance!

Crafts - Mum/Mark (Jersey Craft Shop) normally knock a little bit off, if someone is buying something big - although more often this sort of 'favour' approach manifests as doing a bit of extra special wrapping up to make a gift someone is buying look even more special, etc!
                          --Matt

Web Development
                          Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

I don't charge family but I do a mates rate for close friends
                            www.corrigancards.com

A mind is like a parachute........it only functions when open

Comment

My colleagues have been really supportive so I give them 20% off. I told my friend if her mum came to a fair I was at she could have a discount and she came and bought about 8 pieces of jewellery. I get sales and they get a bargain. Happy people all round!
                              www.jennynevedesigns.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9043479?ref=mf

Comment

Working...
                              X