Copyright...... is this an infringement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copyright...... is this an infringement

My dad has a vintage (1949) MG, is an avid fan of vintage cars and belongs to a club. I made him some silver and black cufflinks for his birthday which he was very happy with but now he has asked me to make him some with an MG logo.
    He said if I succeed all his car club folk would want similar for their respective cars - it sounds as if this conversation has already taken place.

I do not know the position on copyright? I would not be copying the logo but using pics from MG, Jaguar, Ferarri promo material etc. For my dad it would be a gift, the others would be sold.

Gift or sold, I do not want to infringe any laws. Any advice on using existing materials in my work would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Terry xxx
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
    Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

If you sell something using another companies logo/material then it is illegal as far as I can work out.
    You cannot copy another persons work and make money from it.

Im sure I could be wrong tho, I usually am.
    https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

http://webclipart.about.com/od/msub32aa/l/bllogo.htm
      "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
      my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

That is exactly what I thought which is why I said no to my dad..... but then I got to wondering how that artist gets to sell her Barbie jewellery - you know the one who made the headlines for her use of Barbie pieces?

On Etsy I have seen items from lego, disney print dresses, vintage and other pics to make buttons, badges etc.

I am not looking for a technicality just really unsure about it all.
        Of course if its still a no-no I wont do it, just unsure where the line is drawn.
        Terry xxx

Comment

You do it and you take your chances. That's what a lot of them do.
          You have to weigh up is the risck worth it. If it is for guys in the MG club then it is likely to get back to MG headquarters. Isn't it?
          "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
          my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

If your dads a member of the MG owners club, they may hold some of the rights, you could approach them wanting to do a limited run. This could turn into a source of business for you. Otherwise just do them or your dad and let him say he bought them at a carboot

Comment

Ah no - I don't want to bend any rules - just want to please daddy and what pleases dad's more than showing off stuff their kids (however old) have done.
              I will ask about what rights/permissions the club has tho - that is a great point, thank you
              Terry xxx

Comment

If the club is an official club then im sure if you request formal recognition it would be allowed.

Get the club to contact MG HQ and say its only for official mg club members.

They may say go ahead, charge you a royalty fee per sale (ie 15%) or refuse.

Nothing to lose and it would be the easiest way to know for certain

Comment

copyright, everyone hates it, but here we go...

You are NOT allowed to re-produce any logo / trademark etc or anything else made my the original creator without their written consent, in this case you would have to contact MG ( not just the owners club ) and ask them for permission to create jewellery incorporating their logo. You would then have to do this with every other car manufacturer who wants an item using their car's make.I would also think that they would charge a royalty fee and some might simply say no to commercial sales of items incorporating their logo / trademark. If you take a look at the websites of the car manufactures they will say what is and isn't allowed, As in the MG one you are talking about their website states the following

3.3 You may view, use, download and store the material on this website for personal and research use only. Commercial use is not permitted. The re-distribution, re-publication, or otherwise making available of the material on this website to third parties is prohibited.
                  As you would be selling your items, it would be considered commercial and they will probably say no, but theres no harm in asking, just incase.

Hope this makes it a bit clearer for you

Comment

Working...
                  X