What to do????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do????

I have a dilemma which I never thought i'd be in! I've been doing this for a few years now with not huge success so with the "credit crunch" decided to get a part time job. I've not worked for 11 years as I was for most bringing up my daughter single handed plus she has Cf. So I did my thing on the side.
    Over the last few weeks I decided to do a few craft fairs & a home party. I've now taken £720 minus table fees etc. Do I pursue this or take the job?
    I know its Christmas so what are the fairs like in the New Year?
    My OH supports me fully in what ever I decide......
    These have taken over my life....... Argh
    Allison Kiln

First of all very well done on your success this month! That is great - you must be really pleased!?

Could you take the part job but do your crafts along side it? That way you still have the security of your 'day job' and the pay it brings, but also continue to pursue your craft. I know that caring for your daughter must occupy a lot of your time though?

Can you afford to pursue your crafts and not take the part time job? I suppose it's a case of thinking about whather you need the job and the regular income? Then again will the part time job also be something you would enjoy and the chance to meet more new people?

Sorry, I'm not much help am I!?!
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

I think I'd take the part time job. As you know, at this time of year there are lots of fairs around but after christmas, I don't think you'll find that many until it gets to around easter time and the weather has picked up a bit. I'm a regular market trader and January, February and March are always poor selling months.

Just my opinion.
      Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Thank you for your replys Its a difficult one! I get Carers allowance so can only earn £ 95 a week so i'm over this at the mo even before taking the job. So i get in one hand and taken away with the next (can't even earn 2p over!)
        I've sold over 30 monkeys in 3 weeks, yes i'm delighted! my daughter will also be on home I.V antibiotics in dec and i'm scared 've taken on too much! But come Jan it'll be a different story. If only I could wave a magic wand or read a crystal ball . . . .
        Allison Kiln

Comment

Originally posted by allibongo View Post
          . . . . or read a crystal ball . . . .
          I can sell you one of those if you want one hun!

BTW - the profits you've made on your sales should be calculated into your yearly income and not your weekly income.
          Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Mmmnnn!!! Well my floatation session on sat should help!
            The job alone goes £10 over a week which means to balance it out i need to pay £110 every 4 weeks to a personal pension to even it out. Its so confusing but its to clear off the ones that lie!!! The job is in school hours so I still put in the hours to look after my daughter. Argh....
            Allison Kiln

Comment

Its so hard isn't it. You are scared of making the wrong decision. It takes such a long time to get gov. allowances back if it doesn't work out. I do feel for you. I am sure you will work it out, just don't do anything until you are absolutely sure.
              Carol
              God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

The job starts tomo so I guess I better go and be thankful I have a job! Just the tax man scares me if i make a mistake & I don't want to let the family down! Plus always, Hannah (my daughter), comes first! but her health is unpredictable. God i'm stressed!
                At least i'm taking a break and i'm on here
                Allison Kiln

Comment

awww hun, i think id go with the job too, you can always change you mind if needed

try a free graze box use code 5THR7LB www.graze.com

Comment

Well done on your sales. Life is a balancing act always. Obviously you want/need to be available as and when your daughter needs you and the demands of a child with CF are high. Typically the way this country runs is to make it more lucrative (or no less lucrative) to stay at home and collect benefits. Only you can decide what is making the strongest pull on you and it seems that you have decided to give the job a go. Well you can always give it up if it doesn't work out and your OH sounds like one of the good guys out there. Good luck!
                    www.littlebead.blogspot.com
                    www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

Thanks all (blows kisses) If I don't take the job or leave in 6 months I have to pay the CRB check. Is someone trying to get me..... lol I'm a good person really !!!
                      www.thehavenstudios.co.uk/about.htm
                      www.myspace.com/beatcfevents
                      not for sympathy just that i'm real xxx
                      Allison Kiln

Comment

Working...
                      X