Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accepting payment by cheque

Hi there

I couldn't see this question posted anywhere, so sorry if it's been asked previously....

I saw a post that asked whether you need to write bank card details on the back of a cheque when accepting payment by cheque. A lot of responses included a comment that very few people now pay by cheque and some don't even take a cheque book out with them. This fills me with fear because I had hoped that many people would buy items from me by cheque at a Christmas craft fair I'm going to at the end of November. I don't want to lose sales by only accepting cheques/cash, so should I investigate credit/debit card payments at a craft fair and if so, is it complicated or expensive?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.
    You can see my collection of hand made shower caps at:

It's on here................
    http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthr...heque+payments

Comment

Thanks for finding the original thread Peter.

I realise now that there is a search facility on here (I'm a novice so am learning all the time!) so tried searching for 'credit card' and it came up with the a couple of threads that helped answer my question.

I'd paste them into this message but I can't because I'm a sub 25 poster!

Comment

I have found at craft fairs and party plan most people bring a cheque book with them, as I do, as you cannot assume that the sellers take debit/credit cards. I always put all the card details on the back of the cheque, expiry date etc, I do not ask for the address though as I have always found that a guarantee number geenrally means you should get paid but the person paying will get into trouble with their bank.

Comment

Thanks Caroline.

I have just done a little research into electronic terminals and the conclusion I've drawn, like most people on this forum, is that they are v. expensive for the purposes of craft fairs ie about £750 for a 3 year tie in with big penalties if you pull out of the contract.

As you say, most people do take their cheque book with them and I think part of the charm of craft fairs is that the sellers are small businesses who love and take pride in what they do and aren't big businesses with high tech technology. If buyers haven't got a cheque book, I might try encouraging people to place an order by capturing their details on paper and then fulfilling them via my site or getting them to post a cheque later or even incentivise them to order by a certain date to get a discount or something. (Hmmm, I seem to be having a little brainstorm with myself here!)

Comment

hiya. I did a fair last weekend where one customer didn't have enough cash for what she wanted and I dont have a machine, so I took a deposit, turned out to be 15% and kept the jewellery aside and she is posting me a cheque for the difference,
            Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

sometimes just the act of writing a thread can generate answers.

Good Luck

Comment

You're absolutely right Caroline, and thanks Hils for the deposit idea - now why didn't I think of that!!

Comment

Working...
                X