How effective is copyright *really*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How effective is copyright *really*

I recently put a thread on here about a dodgy wholesale request from someone who wanted to sell my designs under their name and it's made me really worried about what I can actually do to stop them copying my designs after I say no.

Does copyright actually work - because I hear that it's ultimately a waste of time because there are so many loopholes to get around the copyright.

Also, how much does it cost because I don't have that much money to divert to a copyright.

Thanks in advance!
    Yvonne
    x

My website: www.mymiyel.com
    My blog: www.mymiyel.blogspot.com

The very least it gives you the right to sue. The other problem is finance of course. You need the ackers to go to court which is why a lot of people get away with it.
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

i posted a link to this last week, but i recommend listening to these podcasts,

http://www.own-it.org/ipinfo/podcasts/

loads of info there about protecting your work
      lucykate crafts... blog

lucykate crafts... on etsy

Comment

Thanks Lucykate.

I did see that post but at the time I was at work and didn't want to listen to a podcast. Did mean to listen to it once I got home and you've just reminded me!

Thanks
        Yvonne
        x

My website: www.mymiyel.com
        My blog: www.mymiyel.blogspot.com

Comment

think in reality, there isn't much a small business can do to protect any one particular design, plus it is also always feasible that someone else out there will be working in a similar style. the best thing to do as a designer is to keep working regularly on new ideas. that way it's always a case of 'oh look, someone has copied what i was doing last year' knowing full well you've moved on to bigger and better things yourself. keep moving forward!
          lucykate crafts... blog

lucykate crafts... on etsy

Comment

agree with luckykate crafts, always add new items and be aware that you though of it first. If you have a loyal customer base I would not worry too much.

I had another small business some years ago and I was making satin and lace scented gifts, within about 2 years items similar were sold in the shops, cheaper as made in china, gave up as I was working at that point. Have accepted that this time around copying will be done but it will never be the same as mine that is all you can hold onto.

With all the craft tv selling channels out there I have been to craft fairs were several stalls are selling the same cards made from the same kits! and at cheap, cheap prices just for pin money I find this harder to compete with when you are trying to sell to earn a living. This is also a form of copying as designers I think you always look at paintings, clothes in fact everything with a different eye and interperet these onto your own ideas.

Comment

Working...
            X