No announcement yet.

PL Insurance/ Risk Indemnity - why both?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PL Insurance/ Risk Indemnity - why both?

    Hi! I'm new to all this, just started selling jewellery and did a few school fairs in the summer with no problems. Now trying to get a stall at a local Oyster Festival and have been told I need not only PL insurance (which I don't have!) but also have to fill in a risk indemnity form. Is this usual? I would have thought if I indemnify them it's my risk as to whether or not to have PL insurance but hey as I said I'm new to this! I thought a stand at an event would be covered by the event's insurance - can anyone shed light on this?

  • #2
    I've recently tried to research this but not had much luck. I've also done some fairs & was never asked about insurance, in fact it wasn't something I was aware of nor was I concerned about it.

    From what I can gather it really is down to the organiser of the event, some have their own insurance but they may want a seperate indemnity to ensure that you will not make a claim against them.

    If you want a definitive answer, ask the organiser to explain why they want it or need it.

    I'm not an expert on these matters either so you may find that another another crafter on here may have a different answer, I can but try to help!


    • #3
      Most craft fairs request that each exhibitor provides proof of their public liability insurance before accepting them to be involved at an event. When it comes down to it, it would be you as the designer/maker that would be liable if someone suffered an injury or some other problem as a result of your goods or display.
      There are plenty of threads on here about public liability insurance and most policies start at around £50 for a year and usually provide you with £1million+ in terms of cover.
      Search the forum for these threads and enjoy! I'm sure you'll agree that it's a small price to pay for piece of mind in these days of suing people for the slightest thing!
      As for the risk indemnity form, that's probably to ensure that you are aware that the organisers are not at fault for something that you would be liable for. Event organisers have their own public liability insurance and probably have to get each exhibitor to sign such a form in order to make them aware of their own individual responsibilities. It wouldn't be fair for an event organiser to be held responsible for a reckless or dangerous display stand which was set up by a crafter against the rules of the event, for example. So I imagine it's their way of making you aware of the rules and regulations of their event so that you comply with them.
      Does any of this make sense?

      Last edited by woodtattoos; 04-09-2008, 10:07 AM.
      Wood Tattoos
      Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)


      • #4
        Thanks for that, both of you! Am still feeling my way and at the start it sometimes seems that a good idea to make a bit of extra money is actually going to end up costing loads before I even get started! I appreciate your points and ultimately if I want to get in I'll have to get covered won't I? Ho Hum, won't give up the day job just yet....!