Camera advice required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera advice required

During my short break, I inadvertently carried out an experiment which revealed that my compact digital camera does not work when dropped into the sea for approx 1 second from a height of 4ft.

It also then fails to work... ever again.

Can anyone recommend a digital SLR camera which has manual as well as automatic setting capability? Obviously price will be an important consideration for me (sob!)

I have been having a look at the Nikon D40, so feedback would be good if anyone owns such a model.

Si.
    Wood Tattoos
    Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
    Facebook
    Flickr
    Twitter

Oh Si - what were you trying to do?! I will leave the experts to give advice on the camera, but could I just add that keeping cameras out of sea water would be a tip I could pass on!!
    Cynthia
    http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Ifor-Jones View Post
      Oh Si - what were you trying to do?! I will leave the experts to give advice on the camera, but could I just add that keeping cameras out of sea water would be a tip I could pass on!!
      I forgot that I had tucked it into my shirt pocket when I was searching for crabs and fish with my little girl... d'oh.

Thanks for the tip, I will bear it in mind!

Si.
      Wood Tattoos
      Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
      Facebook
      Flickr
      Twitter

Comment

Ok - so I agree with Ifor, its never a good idea to drop your camera in the sea, however mine has had a few bumps and scrapes and mucky puddle moments but I am pleased to say it seems to be indestructable and still does its job!. I have an Olympus (sorry don't know any more than that - not very teccy!!!).
        Good luck with your search.
        by Nicki
        www.bynicki.co.uk

Home Decorations & Gifts with Country Style

Comment

I've needed to upgrade to a decent camera for some time and this incident has forced my hand unfortunately!
          Wood Tattoos
          Facebook
          Flickr
          Twitter

Comment

I have not personaly got one but when I did digital imaging last year my tutor had a Nixon D40 and it is now on my wish list, tutor taught A level photography and was also a wedding photographer.

My son dropped his sisters camera in a paddlig pool in the summer that also was not water proof
            My hats can be seen in my album

Comment

Hi my sister does photography and uses a Canon not too sure of the actual model number but she swears by it. I have a Canon A40, out of date now, but easy to use.
              Best to go a a camera shop and tell them what you want ot use it for etc, then order on line for a cheaper price.

Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroleecrafts View Post
                Best to go a a camera shop and tell them what you want ot use it for etc, then order on line for a cheaper price.
                Good advice, thanks for that. Might just do that next time I'm in town.
                Wood Tattoos
                Facebook
                Flickr
                Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by woodtattoos View Post
                  I forgot that I had tucked it into my shirt pocket when I was searching for crabs and fish with my little girl... d'oh.

Thanks for the tip, I will bear it in mind!

Si.
                  Well if it was a mishap that is more understandable - I thought you were probably trying to photograph the fish from above the water!!
                  Cynthia
                  http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Oh dear! I think most cameras and water don't mix too well? Can you claim on any insurance?

I researched this one a few months ago. I wanted to upgrade my Pentax 35mm SLR to a digital and the Nikon D40 came out on top for SLRs. Even went into a shop to try it out and was very impressed - light, easy to use, fully manual or automatic options plus interchangeable lenses.

Sadlyin the end I couldn't afford it and settled for another compact - Fuji Finepix F30 - which does it's job admirably!
                    Cathy xx
                    http://folksy.com/shops/Cathy
                    http://www.recycledbaglady.co.uk/
                    http://owlfamilydiary.blogspot.com/
                    I don't have a short attention span, I ... Ooh look, there's a chicken!

Comment

My other half has a fugi finepix something or other and he loves it. I can't (haven't bothered trying very hard figure it out though!
                      www.beadlab.com

Comment

Mr Jelly did a LOT of research on the interweb when my last camera broke.

I told him I needed it to have manual settings as well as a really good macro for tight close-up shots.

He went onto all sorts of websites where they show comparison photos - using different models of cameras.

The one he picked for me was the Finepix S8000fd which I think has now been upgraded again.

I know we've had a couple of Finepix cameras and I've always found their images to be really crisp.

HTH
                        Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Cameras

Oh dear! sounds like you need to get some kind person in here to make you a camera strap! I use a Nikon D70 - and I love it to pieces. It's more than I really need but it lets me create photo's for my shop, etc. I like playing around with printing onto fabric and I can get wonderful numbers of pixels to play with. It doubles as a family camera for holidays and is great when I'm trying to be a photographic artist (Yeah! right - more self-delusion.). The manual and automatic switch between is useful. Raw, jpg formats etc. Loads more to do than I'll ever work out that's for sure. My husband also has a Nikon camera and that means we can share lenses (theoretically)!
                          Julia

Website: https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/JuliaYo...=hdr_shop_menu
                          Facebook:
                          https://www.facebook.com/JuliaYorkDesigns?ref=hl
                          Blog:https://juliayorkdesigns.wordpress.com

Comment

Camera + salty water = kaput.

Can't help you with the SLR... my dad has one but I have no idea what make. He got his from the outdoors show and wanted it to fit lenses he already had. It's pretty nifty though!
                            View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Lots of good advice so far here. I hadn't considered the insurance actually, I will have to look into my policy to see if I'm covered. It obviously won't cover it completely but it may add a bit of extra money towards it.

Si.
                              Wood Tattoos
                              Facebook
                              Flickr
                              Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X