Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning - Getty Images

Hi all,

Just a quick heads up. I have just been hit by a £1990 bill from Getty Images for use of unlicensed images (2 from my website). I got the images from free to use templates however Getty say that as the end user I should have checked for licensing and that I am liable. Even if you have bought templates the same thing applies. Check with your template supplier and see who has the license

I am taking it to the citizens advice and my solicitor but just to warn all please please please check every image you have as they are using "wayback" to check on your sites images.

Hope this helps - I will let you know how the fight goes.

Cheers

Lisa

Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Gosh Lisa, that doesnt sound right at all does it?

Hope you find the right answers from Citizens Advice and/or solicitor or elsewhere if need be - best of luck with it, I'd like to think something can be done about that

Good luck
    Shaz x
    Keepsake Kollections
    & Rossendale Ramblings!
    http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

OMG!

I'm not sure I really understand what you mean?
      You have used some images on your website that what, they own?
      How did you get hold of them?
      I don't understand?
      I'm always using images on my blog (not my website) that I've found using Google Images seach?!
      Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Hi Lisa,

I'll ask my OH for some advice for you. He's been involved in advertising/marketing for years and used to have to buy images from the likes of Getty. Are we talking free to use templates like in a web site builder thing?

Cheers
        Carol
        Sparklez.co.uk
        Handmade Jewellery

Comment

JBJB whatever you do stop using the images from google.

I made the front page of my new website using a web template supplied free - nothing on the site highlighted that there may be copyright issues with the images everything was advertised as a free business download web template.

I got a bill in from Getty for 2 of the images that were on the free template. I immediately took all images off of my website that I did not make myself (which were only the home page). I will attach a thread to another forum that I found it is hugely long but I really would advise having a read through it. I unfortunately am caught up in it if this I really hope this link will help others.

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390902

Cheers.

Lisa
          Bowed Over
          www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Sparklez View Post
            Hi Lisa,

I'll ask my OH for some advice for you. He's been involved in advertising/marketing for years and used to have to buy images from the likes of Getty. Are we talking free to use templates like in a web site builder thing?

Cheers
            Carol
            Yep exactly that Sparklez. I got them from mommy empire - who I thought would be ideal - particularly trusted them because they were pushing for mothers to go and set up business for themselves. I have got in touch with them but as yet not had a reply.

Cheers.

Lisa
            Bowed Over
            www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

OMG thats awful..., really hope you get it sorted x

Comment

oh my goodness what a nightmare. I hope you get it sorted. If there is anything we on the forum can do to help at all just let us know

Visit my blog!
                http://peggycrafts.blogspot.com/

www.peggycrafts.co.uk

Etsy shop:
                www.peggycrafts.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by PeggyCrafts View Post
                  oh my goodness what a nightmare. I hope you get it sorted. If there is anything we on the forum can do to help at all just let us know

Thanks guys - the name of a very good lawyer !!!!

Please please please check all and I mean all images on your sites. Even old sites you no longer use - they are using wayback machine to check for images. Getty have taken over a firm Pic something or other and they have the technology to find all and I mean all of Getty's pictures on the web. Getty don't watermark their images and it is very very hard to find out about copyright. What I have read you nead to take it that every image is copyrighted unless it states that it is in the free domain.

Cheers.

Lisa
                  Bowed Over
                  www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

sorry Lisa

really sorry to hear about the trouble, hope you get something sorted and from all of us here, thanks for the heads up.
                    My blog http://setters-delight.blogspot.com

Folksy http://www.justgifts.folksy.com

Comment

Right Lisa,

I checked with Scott and he says that unless you have actually stolen the images from Getty, there's not much they can do about it. If you got the pictures from a website, or other source, that clearly said that the template was free to use, then it's them that have stolen the images not you. What are you supposed to do, check every image library in the world to see if an image you in a free template is theirs?

Also, many images belong to more than one image library, and some of those will be free in one place and not in another. If the images did 'belong to Getty, they'll be tagged. There is a way to check the tags in Photoshop. If you want a hand with that, give me a shout, and I'll get Scott to check it.

I hope this works out in your favour.

Carol
                      Sparklez.co.uk
                      Handmade Jewellery

Comment

I've just read about 5 pages of the thread that Lisa posted.

The general concensus is, don't pay anything and don't contact Getty because then they'll realise you're taking them seriously.

They do not have any claim to make

They should issue you with a "cease and desist" request (ie, stop using our image) before issuing any demand for payment.

I would go and read that thread - yes it's long, but there is some very good advice on there from 2006 !
                        Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Had a look at Mommy Empire, couldn't see the web template thing, I'm guessing you need to be a member for that. Just an idea, I'd go back and check that the template is still available and take some screen shots, that way if it does go further you at least have evidence that you have the images 'legally'.
                          Sparklez.co.uk
                          Handmade Jewellery

Comment

Yep taken a screen shot and the image is still on the site. I will post a link to it in a mo If you click on the Custom Candle Template you will see the old one that I used.

Yep Sparklez any help with checking the pics I would love. I tried to do a google search for them but get hundreds upon hundreds I wanted to see who else had them to give out.

Thanks again guys.

Mommy Empire

Lisa
                            Bowed Over
                            www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

So sorry Lisa - do hope it all gets sorted out. Seem to be getting some good advice already.
                              Cynthia
                              http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X