Sale or return confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sale or return confusion

Not being business minded I was wondering what the difference is between sale or return or buying outright?

Does sale or return imply trust issues, ie letting the shop have the goods for nothing until they sell?

Im sure i didnt explain that well...but hey ho, thats no surprise.
    https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Sale or return does mean that the shop has them for nothing while they sell them and then returns them if not sold I imagine (sorry if this doesn't make sense been out for lunch and had a drink or two!) I would have thought there would be a time limit on the sale/return thing, but I might be wrong. I guess there is the issue of trust in the fact the shop should look after your goods properly! But then if it damaged the goods then they wouldn't sell and then that would be one less sale for them and you. Better let someone else answer this I think!
    View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

The beauty about sale and return is you get your stuff out there in locations where they will sell. You would agree what percentage the seller gets and make sure you have an itinary of what stock you leave there (i get both of us to sign it) Check out if its insured whilst its there etc and agree when you get paid eg end of the month or whatever.
      If a supplier wants to buy your stock then you would negotiate what price you are prepared to sell at - if the owner is buying they will expect a bigger cut than if it's sale or return as they are laying out cash rather than display space
      Chris xx
      My Website
      My Blog

Comment

Indri-Step awaaaay from the alcohol, put it down, step back.Its for your own good.teehee.

Kiamyka-Thanks for the info.
        https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

There's a few things to consider for sale and return.
          You are effectively loaning the items out but so long as you draw up a contract and both agree to the conditions before you hand anythin over there shouldn't be a prob. There's a thread about it somewhere but the basics are-
          The percentage you want should be agreed
          The person recieving the goods should acknowledge the amount and condition of each item-make sure you get their name and sig and date of receipt
          The conditions of returns (for faulty items) should be given
          All dsiplay materials should also be signed for too (again with the amount and condition).

Buying the items outright is far preferable though, obviously there's an added benefit for you in terms of immediate sales but also when it comes to sale or return there's not as much incentive for the shop to actually sell the items. Obviously they want their cut but if they haven't made an outlay initially, they aren't in as much hurry to get their money back.
          Last edited by glasskanvas; 08-07-2008, 07:36 PM.
          Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery & Glass Fusing Blog
          Dichroic Glass Tutorials
          Wholesale Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery

Comment

What everyone is saying is exactly right, but another useful tip for sale or return is to set an agreed time limit, by which time if an item hasn't sold you will take it back, and perhaps exchange it for something else.

This way, you aren't tying up your 'stock' in a shop display for a long time with no return, and the shop will appear to have a higher visual turnover of stock, which for return customers is very important, if the smae thing is there week in week out, it looks as if the shop doesn't sell much.

I think about 1 month to 6 weeks is the usual time for an item to stay.

Hope that helps,

Claire
            Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
            Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
            www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

Sale or Return

Sale or return items can be a bit of a headache for a shopkeeper. You have to keep track of what sells and if something gets stolen or damaged you could end up losing money. I only take in items made by my friends and we work on a trust basis. My friends think I am doing them a favour. I find I am always worrying about what has sold or not. Try to bear in mind that the shopkeeper may be being generous in taking in sale or return when they can make more profit and have fewer problems not doing so.
              Chris W.
              x
              Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

I agree with Glasskanvas on shopkeeers not pushing the sales; my boyfriend and I last year brought few T-shirts to two shops in a very trendy area of London (Soho),we had a chat with the owners of the shops and they looked happy to take our Tshirts on a sale or return basis.For us was a great way to test the market,as we are not traders yet and we don t know where to start.Anyway the point is that one shop sold 3 Tshirts in months,while the other only one.what disappointed me is that everytime we pop in to see how it was going we couldn't see our T shirts anywhere (only in the first shop,after we removed a massive amount of other Tshirts,we found ours at the very end of the rack,well hidden).I totally understand what Chris says about this being a pain in the neck for shop keepers,but I then wonder why they accept it if it is only to put the stock in some hidden shelf/corner of the shop..we also proposed a kind of collaboration to the 2 guys,like putting a link to their shops once the website was ready,and things like this..anyway no matters of trust between us, we signed a paper in which we wrote the quantity of Tshirts left in the shop and the percentage agreed..so far no problems with this.
                Hope this helps
                xx ary
                www.petitechacal.com
                http://somuchlife-petitechacal.blogspot.com/
                www.petitechacal.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
                  Indri-Step awaaaay from the alcohol, put it down, step back.Its for your own good.teehee.
                  Okay, I'll try to take your advice! I shouldn't drink at lunchtime, it does me no good! I believe I'm sober now!
                  View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Working...
                  X