Gelatin soap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gelatin soap

My grandson and I just made "jiggly soap." He's very excited, but he kept saying he wished it was a cake we were making...okay, we'll do that next.

This called for 6 oz boiling water, one packet unflavored gelatin, half a cup of your favorite body wash, 1 teaspoon iodized salt...add in order listed, stirring gently but thoroughly - we mixed everything in a square pyrex dish and then just stuck it in the fridge. It should be gelled in about 2 hours. Can't wait!!

I think it needs TWO packets of Knox Gelatin - it tears too easily...

But it washes well, and it's FUN!

Comment

Let me tell you, it was fun to make and it's fun to play with in the tub, but not exactly cleansing. He couldn't hold on to it, couldn't catch it before it disintegrated, and what little did get applied to his grubby little self did not get much of the dirt off!

We're all craving coconut macaroons, though - it was made with coconut scented body wash...

Comment

Fo anyone wanting to try this, for fun only

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veKjDAvDurs

Jane
        www.just-soaps.com
        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
          Fo anyone wanting to try this, for fun onlyJane
          She's right, anyone not wanting to have fun should definitely not try this!! I strongly suggest that anyone wishing to try it should add TWO packets of Knox unflavored gelatin. Even this morning, our jiggle soap tears and dissolves all too easily!

But it IS a tactile ton of fun for kids, like goop and slime. Goop is that stuff made with cornstarch and water - just add water until you have a nice pat-able bunch of ...well... jiggly goop. it's actually very scientific, despite being fun. I cannot stand the feel of it, though.

Slime is made with a big size bottle of white glue to which you very slowly add liquid laundry starch while stirring, until suddenly it turns into this stuff like Silly Putty - keeps kids occupied for a good long time having lots of fun.

There were several videos after the fun one Jane posted above, that showed them using ice cube trays with cute shapes - that would be LOTS of fun. My daughter has some, so when my granddaughter comes out this weekend, and we try this again, for fun we'll use her shape trays.

We didn't think to add any coloring to our jiggly soap which made it more difficult to see in the water. Perhaps some of you might either add some food coloring as suggested in Jane's video, or get a body wash that has more color to it...the coconut scented body wash I bought was white, which really helped it disappear in the water.

Okay, enough of all this fun stuff!

Comment

half term is upon us and i think this might be something to do during that time (me and my son, but more for me) but whats 'iodized salt' and where do you get it?

Comment

Originally posted by tinker30 View Post
              half term is upon us and i think this might be something to do during that time (me and my son, but more for me) but whats 'iodized salt' and where do you get it?
              it's table salt with added minerals to stop people suffering from lack of iodine, it's pretty cheap from your usual supermarket
              Tutor in PMC Silver Clay in the West Midlands
              Facebook:
              https://www.facebook.com/MetalClayTutor
              http://www.artclayjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Over here, most all salt contains added iodine for health purposes, though you can buy it without - so just look on your box of salt and see if it contains iodine. I have no idea why this recipe needs iodized salt, but it does.

Comment

Hi Julesie - we were typing at the same time!

Comment

hello Susan, how are you today
                    Tutor in PMC Silver Clay in the West Midlands
                    Facebook:
                    https://www.facebook.com/MetalClayTutor
                    http://www.artclayjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Busy, busy, busy - must get back out to the Moravian Stars...dipping in clear polyurethane wasn't that successful... it's down to "painting" them with slightly diluted ModPodge. But that's another thread - I think I was talking about it in the Paper room.

Comment

Why are people getting banned here?

Comment

Working...
                        X