Paid opportunity looking for workshop leaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paid opportunity looking for workshop leaders

I run a company called Dormouse and The Teapot, what we do is mismatch vintage china to create new afternoon tea sets. Both recycling and creating somthing new in one fell swoop. Dormouse has been going 12 months now and doing quite well and the time has come for us to move into larger premises which we can also make open to the public. We have been really lucky to find a space in Woodend Mill which is in Mossley, Tameside, Lancashire. The mill is a really creative place and is home to many artists and designers and is open to the community and heavily involved in promoting the arts in the area.

The intention is that the space will be more than just a shop we want to provide an experience. The studio is dressed as a parlor with dining tables and comfortable chairs on Sundays people will be able to call in browse and have a cup of tea, hang out and read or listen to some 40s Jazz for example. During the week we will be available for hire for meetings or photo shoots. On Saturdays want to hold a variety of workshops. My husband is a professional writer and has already put a writing programme together. I have a love of crafting (although it is really admiration for finished crafts as I have fumble fingers) so wanted to put a crafting programme together.

Hence I am looking for crafters to run workshops. However I am looking for somthing a bit more different and exciting than your usual card making etc (no offence to the card makers)

Kitschen as we have called it opens on the first bank holiday in May. I am looking at a programme of 8 afternoon sessions running from June to September (have got crafters for 2 sessions so far) I am hoping that the the sessions will have quite a sociable feel and to promote this an inclusive afternoon tea would be served in Dormouse trademark china during or following the session. I envisage that each session would last up to 3 hours and would be open to up to 12 participants. Apart from that I am completely open to ideas, the only issue we have is we are very limited plug wise.

I would pay each crafter £75 per session which I would expect to include a reasonable amount of materials to make items. However I would be happy for you to sell extra materials or kits if you wished.

If is something you are interested in, I would be very interested in hearing your ideas if you think we could work together. I would however want to see your website / example of your work/ and or a reference.

Please email me at [email protected]

If you know someone who might be interested in running a session please feel free to pass these details on. You can view my website at www dormouseandtheteapot com

Sounds an interesting opportunity for any of our crafters local to you However I would question whether £75 is really enough considering the tutor would be spending time preparing, tutoring for 3 hours and providing materials for 12 people. Speaking as someone who runs card making workshops (no offence taken ) I know how time consuming it can be and how much materials can cost for just a 90 minute workshop so it may be a little unrealistic for a more unusual craft

I hope you don't think I'm being negative and I'm sure some of our members who do tutor in their chosen crafts will be along soon to say whether it's a realistic rate or not.

Oh and good luck with your venture, it sounds a lot of fun.
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

We run courses as do many other soap makers.

£75 for 3 hours x 12 people would not even cover costs for ingredients, materials equipment etc.

Jane
      Last edited by greannancrafts; 18-04-2009, 06:55 AM.
      www.just-soaps.com
      Twitter JUSTSOAPS
      FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
      Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I have never run workshops but have thought about it. £75 would not cover my costs and time as a mosaicist I expect I would have to provide cutters for all 12 people. Even if I bought 6 and they shared it would still cost almost the £75 just for them. Thats without, glue, grout, tiles, pottery, glass or whatever media used to mosaic with.

ok so once the cutters are bought, we have them but they do have a limited lifespan and also I have found that the cutters I use and recommend tend to wear to the person using them, so cant really be shared.

Good idea in theory though and I wish you the best of luck with it.
        Diane
        Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Originally posted by dormouse View Post

Hence I am looking for crafters to run workshops. However I am looking for somthing a bit more different and exciting than your usual card making etc (no offence to the card makers)

I would pay each crafter £75 per session which I would expect to include a reasonable amount of materials to make items. However I would be happy for you to sell extra materials or kits if you wished.
          My local craft supplies shops offer card making and scrapbooking classes and clubs.. some charge £3 -£4 a session, and others £15.. but even then, the participants are expected to bring cutting mats, scissors, and other basic tools with them.. and that's just "run of the mill" card making.. given that they have wholesale prices available to them, it would not be as expensive for them to provide everything, but the do not..

Just my 2p worth, but if you pay someone for 3 hours work on the day, plus the cost of getting there and the time invested in a "teaching plan" and course materials and the like, you are looking a t probably only £10 per hour for the time they would have to invest.. let alone the cost of materials for 12 participants...

Of course, you could charge the 12 to take part, and it would be reasonable to expect them to pay for materials used - even if this was a not for profit part of the event??

Comment

I don't think anyone's mentioned travelling costs.
            ElaineJ soap and other stuff
            website
            blog

Comment

having trouble with the email address so have pm'd you.
              http://shabbychic08.blogspot.com/
              http://www.etsy.com/your_shop.php

Comment

Working...
              X