X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curtain making (Pleating by Design 2)

How many ways to are there to place patterns on pleats

Here is the fabric

Here are two completely different pleating arrangements from the same fabric

Arrangement 1

Arrangement 2

When you are working with 2 pattern repeats across one width of fabric you will usually get a crack at pleating with the different pattern options the fabric offers. These different designs are not always practical nor or they always as dramatic as the differences shown here.

Which arrangement do you like best?

Experimenting with fabric designs will always expand your knowledge of pleating and enable you to offer more as a curtain maker.

See if you can find the frogs hidden in the pleats on the lower picture ......

..................Clive
    Last edited by Classical Genesis; 19-09-2010, 03:50 PM.
    Learning together for profit or pleasure
    I could be unhappy with my life but someone keeps sending me spring

Blog https://classicalgenesis.wordpress.com

Thats great. I never would have thought about it but isnt it effective. I could have a practice with empty loo roll tubes. I am gonna have a go. I can get some big patterned fabric from Dunhelms - just to practice. Do you buy special inserts for the top?
    Carol
    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Common practice is to stuff them with rolled up domette or cotton/polyester wadding Carol but like everything else in life there is no easy answer to any one thing.

For me, it depends where in the house the curtains will hang and how formal the pleats need to look. Sweet looking little cut away goblets need an informal squishy look and can be stuffed with wadding but a more formal effect is obtained when the pleats are formed with soft cardboard tubes like loo roll holders or cut down kitchen roll tubes. these can be rolled in domette to give them a soft feel but the tube will help the pleat conform to a cleaner cylindrical shape. I have used the cardboard tubes that fabric is supplied on but this adds quite a lot of weight and can make the pleats kick forward a little when they are hung with pin hooks from the back. If a tube former is used then it does need to be quite light in weight. I would be inclined to play around with tubes from loo and kitchen rolls.

The problem here is that if you need to make your curtains quickly you need to either use the loo a lot or clean the kitchen solidly for a week. Far better then to plan your curtain making 12 months in advance if you are making formal goblets.

Always interesting to look for alternatives, I bet the crafty folks in this forum would have a few suggestions?

..........................Clive

Comment

The strange thing is Clive I never throw them away. There is always a need for them in the infants schools locally so I do usually have a good supply. lol.
        Carol

Comment

So what you're telling me is that you are content do the little mites out of their Blue Peter projects just to satisfy a curtain making whim? - - Shame on you Carol!

.............................C

Comment

Yep. I 'm the one who threw the baby out with the bath water alright.
            Carol

Comment

Something a little special

I have always firmly believed that being talented at any craft is an inner thing and that all the teacher ever does is to help the student to release the previously undiscovered gift of creating something beautiful and splendid.

The lady who made this sample had little or no experience in craft work but after 4 days training produced this
              exemplary piece of work.

Can you imagine how proud but humbling it is to know that many of those you teach will, in time, far exceed the hopes and expectations you may have of your own skills?

Last edited by Classical Genesis; 11-11-2010, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X