Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use Google analytics?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone use Google analytics?

    Hi

    Was just wondering if anyone uses Google Analytics to monitor their website traffic and how reliable it is? I have been using it for a few weeks but I also use the one on my Create dashboard. I notice that there is quite a large difference in the reported visitor numbers on both. Google always seems to have a lower number and I wondered if anyone else had this problem and knew which is the most reliable out of the 2.

    Also, any feedback or suggestions/improvements on my website would be really gratefully appreciated.

    Thank you x x
    http://www.folksy.com/shops/SterlingHearts

    www.sterlingheartsjewellery.co.uk


    The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have

  • #2
    I use google and also have a hidden counter on my site, they both agree re numbers so not sure if that means google is more reliable or if your create one registers different hits. Sorry not much help.

    Comment


    • #3
      thanks for the reply, how did you get a hidden counter?
      http://www.folksy.com/shops/SterlingHearts

      www.sterlingheartsjewellery.co.uk


      The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have

      Comment


      • #4
        If I am mistaken I think that google resisters things differently to some other site trackers as it breaks visits into 4 categories where as other just have page visits
        http://www.google.com/support/analyt...n&answer=57164
        Check out the link to see the difference ;-)
        Hope this helps

        Francesca
        * BLOG * WEB * FACEBOOK * TWITTER *
        Watch faces, Crystal Innovations sliders and much more

        * Rome wasn't built in a day - although that was the builders original estimate *

        Comment


        • #5
          Google Analytics is good for long term trends but can be quite inaccurate for day to day stuff...for example it won't record users with java disabled...are you sure your create stat counter isn't also recording bot visits (which won't be recorded by Analytics).

          I have noticed you are using the old Google Analytics code...there is a newer Asynchronous version that loads as your website loads and therefore improves website loading times and also can prevent your website from hanging to site visitors. It is pasted into the 'head' section of your website rather than the end...Google 'Google Analytics Asynchronous code' for more info.

          A good analytics tool to go for is getclicky.com

          Mick
          Preserving your items and memories in Handmade custom jewellery Keepsake Gifts

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Nichola_jh View Post
            thanks for the reply, how did you get a hidden counter?
            Part of the software package I use for my site

            Comment


            • #7
              thanks Silverthistle i'll go have a look x
              http://www.folksy.com/shops/SterlingHearts

              www.sterlingheartsjewellery.co.uk


              The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by shpangle View Post
                Google Analytics is good for long term trends but can be quite inaccurate for day to day stuff...for example it won't record users with java disabled...are you sure your create stat counter isn't also recording bot visits (which won't be recorded by Analytics).

                I have noticed you are using the old Google Analytics code...there is a newer Asynchronous version that loads as your website loads and therefore improves website loading times and also can prevent your website from hanging to site visitors. It is pasted into the 'head' section of your website rather than the end...Google 'Google Analytics Asynchronous code' for more info.

                A good analytics tool to go for is getclicky.com

                Mick
                Thanks for the reply Mick, i'm not a techie at all so it does go slightly over my head, well actually quite a bit , how do i paste it into the head section?
                http://www.folksy.com/shops/SterlingHearts

                www.sterlingheartsjewellery.co.uk


                The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Nichola_jh View Post
                  Thanks for the reply Mick, i'm not a techie at all so it does go slightly over my head, well actually quite a bit , how do i paste it into the head section?
                  First you will need to make sure you have the correct snippet of code..the new Google Analytics Asyncronous code is different to the older code...regarding how to paste it in, well I am a little bit of a tachie so I edit my html files....your Create system is probably different and you are probably best to ask another Create user (there are a few on this forum) or via the Create help desk/forum.

                  Sorry I can't be more help than that but the newer Google Analytics code really does make a difference!

                  Mick
                  Preserving your items and memories in Handmade custom jewellery Keepsake Gifts

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Google Analytics is more reliable than the Create one which counts hits i.e. everything which loads onto a page ticks up on the count so gives a deceptively high figure. Not saying the Create one is useless as you will get comparisons over time but I don't really garner much information from that one in the same way as I do through GA.

                    With Google, you can get much more specific information such as keywords used on search engines, visitor types, locations, etc. I know a lot of people on Create like statcounter which I did look at but couldn't actually understand how to make it work!

                    Hope this helps.
                    Ali x

                    Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
                    Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
                    Follow me on Twitter:
                    @AlisCraftStudio

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by AliCat View Post
                      Google Analytics is more reliable than the Create one which counts hits i.e. everything which loads onto a page ticks up on the count so gives a deceptively high figure. Not saying the Create one is useless as you will get comparisons over time but I don't really garner much information from that one in the same way as I do through GA.

                      With Google, you can get much more specific information such as keywords used on search engines, visitor types, locations, etc. I know a lot of people on Create like statcounter which I did look at but couldn't actually understand how to make it work!

                      Hope this helps.
                      thanks Ali, that does help. I will go by the google results then if these are more reliable. x
                      http://www.folksy.com/shops/SterlingHearts

                      www.sterlingheartsjewellery.co.uk


                      The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The statcounter is brilliant and even I managed to install it am I'm not very techie at all.
                        I never look at the create stats as they are way off.
                        With the statcounter you can see every page that the visitor has looked and at what time.

                        If you can't get it to work then go onto the forum on create they are fab and always so helpful. It is well worth installing, I promise.
                        www.debbiehowe.com

                        http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...52781658101133

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I use it, it seems ok but then again I don't really have anything to compare it to. I use moonfruit
                          The Dolls x

                          visit us at www.thebrokendoll.org.uk
                          www.folksy.com/shops/thedollhouse

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            howdy,

                            maybe your tool record crawl bot visits,but google not
                            Last edited by tiptopcraft; 08-03-2011, 02:34 AM.
                            china home textile, window coverings,decorativ fabric for upholstery and curtain

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Ah ha! You are not going mad. I noticed this too.
                              People would tell me they had looked at something specific on a specific day, and talk about it, so I know they really did, yet nothing registered on Google Analytics.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X