Playing with the Google freebie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing with the Google freebie

I have started making up a website with the Google free website . It allowed me the www.bodrighywood.co.uk free and I would appreciate your opinions. I can't do it as a shop with a basket etc so have used an alternative method. I'd be interested if people think this is too clumsy etc

pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

The website looks lovely, Pete, good photos, and it's easy to use. You can see the items in each category altogether, which I think is an advantage.

It's a shame that people can't buy without taking an extra step, but I hope it doesn't affect your sales.
    Celia
    I can't be creative and tidy too
    www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
    The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
    Jencel on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by bodrighy View Post
      so have used an alternative method. I'd be interested if people think this is too clumsy etc

pete
      Hi!

Sorry, is it me being thick but I couldn't find out how to pay? Also I wish all the photos of the items were the same size...apart from that very nice!

Mick
      Preserving your items and memories in Handmade custom jewellery Keepsake Gifts

Comment

Damn - I'm using the same Google thingy and yours is infinitely better than mine lol! You products are stunning too which I'm sure helps

Do you find the editor quite hard to use? It's vexing me no end...

I think the site is laid out quite well, just a personal thing that some of the writing is a little hard to read - but that is most likely because despite being 24 my eyesight is appalling lol

I wouldn't have the payment method would be too off-putting, I know that if I really wanted something, I'd go that tiny bit further to get it
        www.morgannacraft.co.uk
        Facebook fan page!

Comment

Just had a thought, as it's google, can you use google checkout on the site?
          Celia
          I can't be creative and tidy too
          www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
          The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
          Jencel on Facebook

Comment

Thank you all. For the payment there is a page explaining about paying either using PayPal or by cheque. It is in the 'About us' section which is open when the site is accessed. The writing needs to be in black I think so I'll adjust that. As a lot of the crafting things need to be ordered by size etc a customer would need to contact me anyway to let me know what size crochet hook etc they need so hopefully that wouldn't be too off putting. I don't know Google checkout but will find out if it is something that I can use on the site.

I used to build websites before it all became too high tech for me so using this hasn't been too much of a problem.

The pictures could all do with revamping IMHO and if time and incentive allow I'll try and get a load of new ones done so that they all look the same size and background. I also have a load of stuff I haven't photographed and could put up though having too much in there may be a disadvantage.

I'll carry on playing putting suggestions and advice to good use. Keep 'em coming. If anyone wants a site of their own and can't either make or afford one this is a pretty good alternative. It was suggested to me by the 'Getting British Business Online' people.

pete
            "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
            Facebook

Website

Comment

Hello

It is possible to add PayPal "buy now" buttons, "add to cart" buttons etc. using Google Sites. I can elaborate if you'd like me to??

Helen
              facebook: Shiny Craftwork
              Folksy :: Shiny Craftwork
              Website - ShinyCraftwork.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by shinycraftwork View Post
                Hello

It is possible to add PayPal "buy now" buttons, "add to cart" buttons etc. using Google Sites. I can elaborate if you'd like me to??

Helen
                i have just tried that and all I get is an 'embed gadget' box instead of a button. so elaboration may be useful thanks

Pete
                Facebook

Website

Comment

Hi Pete

The only problem I found was that the table for your bowls page is too wide for my screen so it disappears off the right of the screen and the text columns are very thin so there is only one or two words per line which makes it really uncomfortable to read. I don't know if you can put the text in a cell which spans below the two photos so the table isn't so wide?

I don't think the payment options is confusing but do worry that it may lose you sales if people are browsing during out of office hours (as I usually do) and wanting to complete their purchase quickly.

Good work so far and the photos look great to me!
                  Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
                  Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
                  Follow me on Twitter:
                  @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Originally posted by MorgannaCraft View Post
                    I wouldn't have the payment method would be too off-putting, I know that if I really wanted something, I'd go that tiny bit further to get it
                    Unfortunately I don't agree with that I think it is hard enough as it is to sell anything handmade online and to put an extra barrier in the way may put people off.

If I was searching for 'Handmade Crochet hooks' in Google and a website appeared that confused me (like it did) and it wasn't immediately obvious how I went about buying them I would page back and look at the next website on the list - which will probably be 'scottish fibres' who has a whole page devoted to every make and size of crochet hook - including 'buy now' buttons...

Unfortunately these are the websites we are competing against and if we are not on the ball we won't compete.

Mick
                    Preserving your items and memories in Handmade custom jewellery Keepsake Gifts

Comment

Hello, I wish I had found out about this free google thing, I'm paying to use create.net. Its great that make drop spindles I've been hunting everywhere for a nice one as the whorl falls off mine. I spin silk fibres and would really like one of your spindles. May be a few weeks before I have the pennies though.

Hatta

Comment

Originally posted by bodrighy View Post
                        i have just tried that and all I get is an 'embed gadget' box instead of a button. so elaboration may be useful thanks

Pete
                        Hi Pete

There is a gadget called "Safe HTML bypass" (sorry I don't think I'm allowed to post links yet...). Type that into Google and the first link you get gives you instructions on how to use it. I've just tried it with an "add to cart" button and it works fine, making the PayPal cart appear in a new window.

Quite a tidy way to do it, I think?

HTH
                        Helen
                        facebook: Shiny Craftwork
                        Folksy :: Shiny Craftwork
                        Website - ShinyCraftwork.co.uk

Comment

I must be completely dense (no need to confirm thank you lol) because although I understood the payment options I couldn't see how I actually ordered. I guess I needed to call or email you? I think I might be out off by that....although your stuff is so lovely I might actually persevere...If I saw something I really wanted, I might/would probably end up sending you an I'm thick so how do I order this email...
                          If you can add paypal to this I think it would serve its purpose nicely...especially at my favourite price of free

Comment

Originally posted by Christa View Post
                            I must be completely dense (no need to confirm thank you lol) because although I understood the payment options I couldn't see how I actually ordered. I guess I needed to call or email you? I think I might be out off by that....although your stuff is so lovely I might actually persevere...If I saw something I really wanted, I might/would probably end up sending you an I'm thick so how do I order this email...
                            If you can add paypal to this I think it would serve its purpose nicely...especially at my favourite price of free
                            Have I got some thing without a price on there?

Pete
                            Facebook

Website

Comment

I must be doing something wrong. I end up with a large white block with the button in it. Looks ridiculous. I tried adjusting the dimensions and it didn't make any difference. Thanks anyway

Back to the drawing board.

pete
                              Facebook

Website

Comment

Working...
                              X