Katian Krafts Website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katian Krafts Website

As I am a newby to crafts and have not yet made any money (or got back any of what I have spent out!) I have initially used a blog for my website, to keep down costs. Any comments on the site and my mosaics will be apprecited.

www.katiankrafts.wordpress.com

Thanks all!
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Over all the look of the website is very nice.
    There are a couple of things though that you might want to look at.
    • on the home page, some of the writing gets lost in the blossom.
    • the mirror photos could do with a little work as the image of the vertical blind is competing with the mosaic work. The flower and pebbles look great, but if you were to put a plain background in to reflect, the mosaics would stand out far more. They might also benefit from a little more light onto the tiles to show the colours a little clearer. The background colour on the rectangular mirror is too close in tone to the mosaic colour so although it blends, it does not stand out and kind of gets lost.
    • You have not included your contact details on your web site which is a new law requirement. I think it was on this forum or Uk beaders wher someone recently published tthe details. An email address is not considered contact details.
    I think your prices are about the same as my friend charges for hers.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

I really like your website, it's simple and the colours are great. I think your opening message comes across as really friendly and approachable.

I do agree about the pics though. I know how difficult it is to do yourself, I have stood around holding pieces of soap and taken more photos than I care to remember! The blinds reflecting in the mirrors are a little distracting and I would have been tempted to take more individual shots of each mirror so that the colour can be seen a little clearer.

I have been to lots of craft shows but never seen anyone doing your craft, so I think you probably have a huge market out there and no competetion! I wish that I could say the same about soap!

Hope that helps

Leanna
      www.purethoughts.co.uk
      Natural soaps and skincare, handmade from beginning to end...

Pure Thoughts Newsletter - Free samples for 50 new subscribers every month

Comment

Thanks for your comments - very much appreciated! Aren't photos a nightmare? Its so hard not to get the reflection of something in the mirrors. That's why I went with the pulled blinds, but it seems that was not the best idea. I will try again at the weekend (natural light) and see if I can do better.

Thanks also for highlighting the contact details - had no idea it was against the law! Will amend that so I'm, legal!

My first craft fairs are in March so I will let you all know how / if they sell. Nail bitting moment!

Thanks again. Kate.
        Last edited by Katianne; 25-01-2007, 02:40 PM.
        Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by katian_krafts View Post

Thanks also for highlighting the contact details - had no idea it was against the law! Will amend that so I'm, legal!

Thanks again. Kate.

This is the thread about the law requirements for web sites.
          http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthr...t+details+site
          full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

How about now?

I have updated the My Mosaics section of my website taking on all your suggestions. I am really pleased with how it looks now - what do you think?

http://katiankrafts.wordpress.com/my-mosaics/
            Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Hi there,

I'm in the process of setting up my own web site and I also do mosaics! So I was intersted to look at your site. Mosaic is just a(nother!) hobby at the moment for me as my main work is in leaded mirrors & suncatchers. I need to work out how to photograph mine better but I would say that your photos look really good (didn't see the original ones so can't comment on improvement).

The buttons on the right don't seem to work for me, the ones on the top do, is it necessary to have both sets? Also a button leading back to your home page would be good too.

Am I correct in saying you're only using whole tiles? Once you start cutting them the design options become much more varied and fun!

I've done a couple of craft fairs. I would say that it would be good to have some cheaper items available as a lot of people aren't wanting to spend much money unfortunately! This is proving to be tricky for me as almost as much work goes into a smaller piece as a larger one and it's the time not the materials which is the biggest expense!

Anne.
              www.andamento.co.uk ...my website
              http://andamentoblog.blogspot.com/ ... my blog

Comment

Hi Anne.

Nice to find someone else that makes mosaics! Yes at the moment I am using whole tiles but am currently looking at buying some sheets to do some cutting. I have only been doing it for a month so still experiementing with what I can do.

For the website I used a blog template, which unfortunately restricts what you can do to an extent. I know what you mean about the catagories on the side - I couldn't get them to do anyhing either but not sure why! I'm not very technically minded!

I have done some prototypes of cheaper items - photoframes and coasters and hope to get some of those done for the craft fairs. I wanted to get up a good stock of mirrors first and then move on to other things - I find I get carried away with new designs and end up with only one of everything, which isn't any good for a craft fair!

You will have to let me know your website address when it's done, it would be nice to see someone elses work.

Take care, Kate.
                Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Working...
                X