Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to change webhost and ideas?

Hello all,

Just wondering if any of you have any recommendations for web hosts. I currently use 1&1 eshop at £4.99 a month but I am frustrated that I can't add html so therefore I get no analytics (unless I pay extra for them)

Have any of you ever moved before/ How hard is it to shift your domain name and how do you do it?

Answers on a postcard please.
    Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

www.thechildrensjewellerycompany.co.uk

I changed my hubby's website hosts. He was with Yell. I am with e-merce in Hartlepool and can recommend them I think hosting for the year is something like £45 or there abouts. Mr Media (0103Media) is a website designer so he might be able to come up with some others.

It's not hard you get in touch with your new provider and they will provide you with details of how to switch. I had to fax yell and that was about it was switched no problem. Some website hosts charge £10 I think it is to switch but I'm not sure which ones - yell didn't.

HTH.

Lisa

Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Hi

I use www.doyourownsite.co.uk will copy & paste what it says about moving ur domain name.... there really good & easy to use, they have a 30 day free trial so you can try before you buy.

Hope this helps...

There should be no problem using your existing domain name with your DoYourOwnSite! website. When you subscribe to our service the first thing you will be asked is to choose your domain name. Below this is a button to press, titled "I already have my chosen domain name". Once you have subscribed, using this option, the necessary arrangements will need to be made to use your existing domain name with your new website.

You will need to contact the company who registered your domain name for you and ask them to "Change the DNS 'A Record' For your domain name to 193.109.194.27". If they gave you a username and password when you registered the domain name then you may be able to do this yourself, in which case they should provide you with the relevant instructions and support.

If the company will not make the change as detailed above then you can also use "Web Forwarding" to redirect your domain name. Setting this up varies between different companies so contact the company who registered your domain name for you if you need any help. Your web forwarding address will be http://username.doyourownsite.com/ where "username" is replaced by your own DoYourOwnSite! username.
      Personalised gifts for all occasions 10% off for all members use code - craftforum - www.sewandsoaps.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/sewandsoaps1

Comment

Hi, you don't usually have to switch your domain name to move your hosting. Although most people like to have their domain name and hosting with the same company its not neccessary.

Moving a domain is a bit trickier than moving hosting. You need to read the instructions for moving carefully, I think sometimes you need to 'unlock' your domain but I haven't read much about this recently. Often the contact email address for the domain is the email of the company you paid for the domain with (not your own) which is worth checking. The company you are moving your domain to will be obviously the most helpful in terms of instructions. Don't expect the company you are moving from to be particularly helpful.

If you decide to leave your domain where it is you can just buy new hosting from somewhere else and then point your domain to it. This is usually done in one of two ways 1)web forwarding - you redirect people who type in your url to a new address or 2)you change the settings of the name servers (much simpler than it sounds) to point to the new hosting location. There should be instructions about both in your domain/hosting provider help.

I'm not sure what to reccommend in terms of hosting as it sounds like you are using some kind of site templates? Everyone on here seems to use something called mr site but I know nothing about it... I've had a couple of my websites on http://easily.co.uk/ for a few years without incident.

portfolio: www.suzielda.co.uk

buy online: www.mooart.com

Comment

I use Namesco to host my sites, and have been happy with them so far. I build my sites from scratch using Dreamweaver. If you want to use a template type setup Mr Site seems to be very popular.
          Elinor
          x

My Misi page
          Follow me on Twitter

Comment

I use dorset.eukhost.com it gives an excellent service, large capacity and more importantly, good value for money; 57 pounds or thereabouts for the year.
            silver jewellery at The Silver Jewellery Workshop
            bespoke handmade jewellery
            Silver Jewellery blog
            Handmade Jewellery Blog

Comment

Originally posted by sewandsoaps View Post
              Hi

I use www.doyourownsite.co.uk will copy & paste what it says about moving ur domain name.... there really good & easy to use, they have a 30 day free trial so you can try before you buy.
              I am doing the free trial and I am not getting the results I would like some of the examples they show look amazing with circular photos and feature product boxes.....any tips gratefully recieved!
              Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

www.thechildrensjewellerycompany.co.uk

Comment

To have feature boxes you go to site content, then on left hand side you will see a menu at the bottom of this you have the side box feature click on that and follow the instructions, these boxes will only show up if you are using on of the modem templates though

Website - www.cherryblossomjewellerydesigns.co.uk
                Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cherry-Blossom-Jewellery-Designs/127033020677024

Comment

hi... if this helps i`m using the radius template.. (think thats in web2.0) as the person above said for the featured products you need to click on site content at the top and then on the left hand side at the bottom will say left & right coloums

Feel free to email me if you need any help [email protected]
                  Personalised gifts for all occasions 10% off for all members use code - craftforum - www.sewandsoaps.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/sewandsoaps1

Comment

I use moonfruit www.webeden.co.uk and in the three years I've been with them I've had no problems.

I can build up to 5 different websites and each one is unlimed pages......cost me about £54 a year.

Pauline
                    Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

Working...
                    X