The time has come!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The time has come!

LOL. Yep, the time has come to get opinions on my site. I would really appreciate any comments, good or bad, as long as the bad are constructive... I know there are things I need to tweak.

1. The images are in progress.. not done there yet. I need clearer images, but the light right now is awful, so it's taking a bit of time. I'll get there.

2. I do intend on attempting a cart system, but I'm waiting till I've been to the bank tomorrow before I start anything. If I get another bank account and credit card set up, then it's those details I'll be using. Another wait.

3. Still working on the services page... another in progress.

Over all though, it's getting there, so it feels right to be asking for opinions now. I have more projects in the works, and I know the galleries seem a little bare right now. (just received my lampwork beads from beadservice - thanks hun!) and got to work on them.. and other things.

Thanks all!
    Rach x

Dare to dream ~ never afraid to fail.

~ Jewellery by RMC ~ Blog ~ Twitter me
    ~ Fb business ~ Misi me ~

Ready?

'Since I only make one of most things on this site, it's in both our interests if you email for ordering and payment. I don't want two people to think they've bought the same thing'

You may be better saying something like 'every piece I make is unique - please e mail me first so I can meet your requirements'

'if you requrie assistance or have any queries;'...............typo.

'My first attempts at PMC... I really like them, but excuse the rubbish image.'
    Never apologise for your work! The image isn't that bad anyway!

Your work is really nice, and your presentation is classy - your only problem is confidence in your own talent....................don't worry, you've done ok!

Comment

I like your site! It's clean and fresh, set out nicely and is easy to navigate.

The only suggestion I would make is taking the price stickers off items before you photograph them. Perhaps I am just being fussy though, but I would. Apart from that your images are great - I think they are pretty clear anyway. I can see all of the detail and they are not cluttered with other things.

I agree with what Peter said too. I also love the description you have of each item, and the info about the stones. The fact you have added liitle anecdote about how you feel about each item or stone is lovely too - it makes you more of a person and not just a shop.

Well done!
      Last edited by xrheax; 25-01-2009, 06:18 PM. Reason: missed out a word and changed the entire meaning of the sentence
      My Website www.rheadesigns.co.uk

My Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dumfri...4443824?ref=ts

My Blog
      http://rheadesigns.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        Ready?

'Since I only make one of most things on this site, it's in both our interests if you email for ordering and payment. I don't want two people to think they've bought the same thing'

You may be better saying something like 'every piece I make is unique - please e mail me first so I can meet your requirements'
        Okay, that being said, which I agree with btw, should I invest the time and energy into doing a cart system, or keep it as it is now?

I'll stop saying sorry for things, lol... promise.

Thanks for the comments guys, it's really appreciated. I'm in the process of updating the images, so I do hope to have ones with no price stickers. Those images were really for another gallery. The labels were on because I did a few market stalls in the run up to Xmas.

*hug*
        Rach x

Comment

I honestly believe if you're going to sell you must have a cart system. Most online purchases are impulse, and if you have to e mail, and wait for a reply, and e mail back to say yes, and wait for the confirmation........................see what I mean?
          I buy most things on the net, and I go to another site if I don't find the buying process easy - I know it's shallow.................but hey!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            I honestly believe if you're going to sell you must have a cart system. Most online purchases are impulse, and if you have to e mail, and wait for a reply, and e mail back to say yes, and wait for the confirmation........................see what I mean?
            I buy most things on the net, and I go to another site if I don't find the buying process easy - I know it's shallow.................but hey!

It's true, unless it was something unique that I really had to have, I'd get bored and look elsewhere! Hey that makes me shallow!
            MISI - http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=741

Comment

Lol, ok... I get it. The easier it is, the better it is, right? As soon as I have things sorted with the bank, I'll get onto doing a cart system.

Maybe paypal, or someone recommended cubecart... or Magento? Although, Magento seemed rather complicated for what I need. *shrug* We'll see, lol.

Thanks all.
              Rach x

Comment

I think a cart system is definitely the way to go! Apart from that your site is beautiful, simple and very easy to navigate... well done!
                www.maygreen-fairies.co.uk
                www.maygreen-fairies.blogspot.com
                www.facebook.com/maygreenfairies
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/maygreenfairies

Comment

thanks hun!
                  Rach x

Comment

I love the fresh look about your new site, and your jewellery is gorgeous! well done you, and the very best of luck!
                    Sarah

Comment

A very nice looking web site.
                      I only have 2 tiny critiques . 1 make your text and tittles bigger. 2 when you redo your pics don't use a fussy background like the wood the grain distracts the eye.
                      "You've Got to Keep Your Mind Wide Open" - AnnaSophia Robb
                      my Folksy shop Goldy'sclearoutblog debaynewebdesign

Comment

I agree with everything Peter and Goldy have said, can't add more than that.

Good luck!
                        Diane
                        Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Thanks guys, all info much appreciated.

Meant to ask before, are the images a good enough size, and clear enough? I know I'm re-doing them, but the size is an issue with me. I was thinking of pop ups, and asked about them in another thread, but I'm not sure.

I can't seem to work lightbox anyway (just call me thick lol)
                          Rach x

Comment

Hiya,

Just a few bits!

You've got the same image thing I keep finding elsewhere E.g. on the homepage/landing page, the images (if you right click, do properties) saying:

416px × 311px (scaled to 100px × 100px) - this means that the file is 400px x 400px, but the HTML is showing it as 100px x 100px - if you rescale the file itself to 100x100, you'll save ~ 75% of the file size - 140k - reducing it to ~ 35k - there are 9 photos on this page - so the total bandwidth saving would be approx 1mb - both for the visitor, and your webhost! Now imagine that the user looks at 15 pages, with 9 photos on each - thats 15 mb (possibly upto a minute of download time at a guess) in a visit!

Sorry to harp on about this one folks, pet peeve!

On the other hand, I _love_ the heart earings on the left!

About page - I would remove the paragraph at the end which states the address is your home one - although I support having address details on all commercial sites, not sure it's a good thing to say that it's your home!

Think you need a contact form, or at least for the email links on the contact page to be clickable (mailto as people are very lazy.

Off to a good start though!
                            --Matt

Web Development
                            Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

Thanks Matt. Any input appreciated and taken on board.

The images will get sorted, I promise. Sorry to aggravate you I do fully intend to get better images when there's better light, and when I do the reduction will happen. Promise.

Glad you like the earrings. Want to buy some? LOL.

Okay, so I might not state that that's my home address, but I need to state that it's not a store address. I don't want anyone popping up and annoying the others that live here, lol, and I believe having a physical address is a must have on a site like this.

I'll get onto a form for contact. I don't want a clickable link for email, as I tend to get tons of spam when I do that. I'll try to make things easier for folk though.

Rach x

Comment

Working...
                              X