Website revamped - feedback please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website revamped - feedback please?

I was planning to spend the first week in January updating my website with new stock, but somehow I managed to do it over the last few days. I found a tile which I completely forgot about and thought it would make a nice background. I'm pleased with the photos, but that's just my opinion.

But I would really appreciate some feedback on my site in general, especially item descriptions, etc. I'm struggling to set it up so I can take international orders, but will email the company who hosts my site to ask what the problem is. So hopefully that will get sorted soon.

But any other comments would be appreciated.

Many thanks!
    Last edited by Babushka; 29-12-2008, 07:10 PM.
    Magriet

www.babushkajewellery.co.uk
    http://babushkajewellery.blogspot.com/
    http://en.dawanda.com/user/BabushkaJewellery

Well I love it!

I'm not sure I remember what it was like before but the whole site has a quality feel to it, very professional. Item descriptions are good.

The jewellery is lovely and you have a good range of prices, (If you have a cancelled order it was me just seeing how easy checkout was)

Well done the pics are great too.
    Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

www.thechildrensjewellerycompany.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Harriet. Does the fact that I can only accept Paypal payments at the moment put you off? It's a vicious circle as I can't afford to register to accept credit card payments, but then again it could boost sales. But I don't know why I'm not getting many sales through my site.

Since I have an e-shop for which I pay a small monthly fee, I am very limited in what I can do as I work on a template. And I realised that with the package I have, I can only accept national orders. So I will need to upgrade my package and pay £25 per month to accept international orders. It's a bit naughty that, in my opinion. At the moment I just point international buyers to my Dawanda shop and hope they don't get too annoyed
      Magriet

Comment

Hiya

I think your site is great. Its got loads of useful info and the pictures are really clear.We have PayPal but we can also accept debit/credit card as well through Paypal (without people having to have a PayPal account). I contacted PayPal to make sure and they said its a standard thing that came with our shopping cart thingy. Can you maybe check with them?

Sarah
        Baby bibs with a difference...
        We now do t-shirts up to 4 years!
        www.bibbledribble.co.uk
        http://www.folksy.com/shops/BibbleDribble

Comment

Anyone can accept card paymetns directly.

Search for paypal pro.

Setup a paypal pro account and it works much like your normal paypal, but you can accept direct card payments.

the fee is i think 15p + 3.5% per transaction

Comment

I love it! Very professional looking.

Really clear pictures and descriptions. Easy to navigate.

You've done a 1st class job there, well done!

Comment

wow! one of the best handcrafted jewelery sites i have seen! i havent seen the the earlier one...but this one looks appealing!

Comment

It looks lovely and very professional too. Ditto to what was said about Paypal - I can accept credit card payments through my Paypal account from anywhere in the world- how does your provider restrict non UK buyers? Ah right just went and tried to order something and you can't change the country- I'm sure a note somewhere to non UK customers could be organised and you can manually invoice them from within Paypal.
                Last edited by Kiamyka; 30-12-2008, 11:10 AM.
                Chris xx
                My Website
                My Blog

Comment

Hi

Personally no it doesn't put me off, as I only have PayPal too, or Cheques on request, so maybe I'm bias.

I know for a fact it would put my DH off as he is computer iliterate, but most people have paypal these days I think.

Which company is your site hosted by?
                  Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

Comment

Im liking the site, one note from SEO (search engine optimisation for better results and hence more traffic) is your URL address etup

For example your pages read:

www.babushkajewellery.co.uk/shop/page/7?shop_param=
                    www.babushkajewellery.co.uk/shop/page/1?shop_param=

Note the page is found using digits.

Are you able to change that on your settings so you could use for example:

www.babushkajewellery.co.uk/shop/page/silver_jewellery?shop_param=

If not try using url rewriting with a htaccess file.

Let me know and i will help you out with that

Checkout www.trysordy.com and the products etc and you will see i have done the same with the url's

Comment

Thank you all for your comments. Hdflred, my site is hosted by 1&1.

ThE_SeeKeR, unfortunately with my current package, I'm unable to edit the html myself. I'll need to upgrade my account to a Business Pro or Professional eshop, which will cost me at least £25 per month instead of the £5 I'm paying at the moment. Unless I can guarantee that it will increase my sales dramatically, I can't really justify it. It's catch-22 isn't it?

I have to be honest, I don't really understand the whole SEO thing so have been reading your thread too with interest. But lets pretend I did have a small budget to spend on website optimisation, where do I go from here? And how do I do the Google Analysis? The stats I get are pretty pants really. For instance it'll say that I had 170 unique visits, of which 152 couldn't be identified. Whatever that means
                      Magriet

Comment

Hi

I love your site and your jewellery is beautiful. It looks very professional, and has a very fresh feel about it and the photo's are great.

Paypal wouldn't put me off buying from you at all.

Well done you!

Cheers

Debbie
                        www.aberjewels.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Babushka View Post
                          ThE_SeeKeR, unfortunately with my current package, I'm unable to edit the html myself. I'll need to upgrade my account to a Business Pro or Professional eshop, which will cost me at least £25 per month instead of the £5 I'm paying at the moment. Unless I can guarantee that it will increase my sales dramatically, I can't really justify it. It's catch-22 isn't it?
                          It's an awful catch-22, and something I run into a lot professionally - our eCommerce service isn't cheap (though we have just reduced prices, because we are expecting a lot of people to launch new start-ups in the new year) - definitely more than £25 a month!

The worst part is that we cannot even honestly tell people that they will make money - it can take several months to get an online store to a point where it is profitable (even that isn't really vague enough - it depends on so many factors, and requires a vast amount of work to be put into marketing).

You'll just have to do the best that you can with what you have, really!

I have to be honest, I don't really understand the whole SEO thing so have been reading your thread too with interest. But lets pretend I did have a small budget to spend on website optimisation, where do I go from here? And how do I do the Google Analysis? The stats I get are pretty pants really. For instance it'll say that I had 170 unique visits, of which 152 couldn't be identified. Whatever that means
                          I'd be happy to give some free tips, but there is no point doing so until you are at a point where you can edit the site - it'll just frustrate you!

Don't worry about identification - one of the key stats from google is the number of unique visitors (over a given time period) e.g. 50 per day means approximately 50 different people visiting your site each day.

If you have 1 sale a day on that basis, then you can calculate a conversion rate of 2% (1/50th of visitors buy something = 2/100) - this is one of the starting points for evaluating the effectiveness of an online store. Once you have conversion statistics which are "statisfactory" - you can get into the realms of things like pay-per-click advertising with reasonable confidence that you aren't just setting fire to your hard earned cash!
                          --Matt

Web Development
                          Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

Thank you all for your comments. Hdflred, my site is hosted by 1&1.

Thats who my site is hosted by aswell and I to don't want to spend the extra money to get the extra's it seems I could do with.

The weekly stats - I agree useless! It only seems to be able to identify referalls from google or if someone types in my website address, everything else is unidentifiable!

Debs
                            www.aberjewels.co.uk

Comment

Hi

My site is 1&1 too! I love your template though...... maybe I will go and have a play with mine again.

1&1 are frustating as you can never speak to anyone who has english as thier first language, it drives me nuts when they just don't understand what you are asking in the first place.

You can add your own html codes there is a button on the tool bar of the edit content page in shop designer (near the add a link, add picture buttons)

I managed to add a header using my own html last night, but I was worried the whole thing would blow up (it didn't)

All that said I do like the package overall, it was easy to do, and just look at the great comments you are getting! Your site looks great.

Interesting comments you made Matt about pay per click...... I think I may of burnt a fortune on it before Christmas with Yahoo, however I do well in thier rankings, could the 2 be connected?
                              Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X