Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback on my site please

Hi

This feels a bit scarey but could you lovely people have a look at my website and let me know what you think of it. I've just added the guestbook today and I'm not sure if it looks out of place or not.

www.aberjewels.co.uk

I'm still contemplating whether to set up a paypal/google shopping cart or not. Most of my sales so far have been through word of mouth and one party, so I'm sort of using the site as a gallery for the moment.

I have the pictures side by side with the wording underneath, I can't find the option to enlarge the pictures when you click on them so I have had to make the pictures fairly large (don't think it takes too long to download the pages though). I was wondering whether they would look better as single pictures going down the page with the wording to the left/right of the picture if you know what I mean? Oh and I know some of the photo's aren't up to much but I haven't had the time to redo them as yet.

Thanks in advance

Debbie
    www.aberjewels.co.uk

I think your site is beautiful, love the colours.

If I was to be a bit picky ( which I usually am!! ) I would reccomend putting a thin border around each picture and then putting a gap in between each one and to line them up I would put the pictures in a table with the writing underneath each one.

I think your pictures are good and clear but maybe if they were slightly smaller and then people could click on them to enlarge it might be best as it would free up a bit of space.

Hope that helps.
    Nicki. x

PS. Your jewellery is beautiful.
    by Nicki
    www.bynicki.co.uk

Home Decorations & Gifts with Country Style

Comment

I think the site is looking good, love the background colours and your products are lovely.

I agree that if the pictures where thumbnail and separate it would look better. Have you asked the hosting site how to do this? may be worth a try. Or if you post what the software is someone on here may be a able to help.

Websites are always work in progress but you on on the right track.

Comment

Yes - lovely colours and photos - but I agree about spacing the pics and having them as thumbnails.
        ElaineJ soap and other stuff
        website
        blog

Comment

Thanks for you replies

I've used 1&1 websitebuilder to build my site and just been having a search through the answers and questions. They don't seem to offer the facility of having pictures that enlarge when you double click on them.

I did try putting a gap between the photo's but sometimes it did it and sometimes it didn't and I couldn't work out what I did different on the pages that it did. Maybe I can try and put a border on the photo before I upload it to the page, that might help a bit.

Have to try and gave another play with it when the little ones have gone to bed.
          www.aberjewels.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by zebady View Post
            Thanks for you replies

I've used 1&1 websitebuilder to build my site and just been having a search through the answers and questions. They don't seem to offer the facility of having pictures that enlarge when you double click on them.

I did try putting a gap between the photo's but sometimes it did it and sometimes it didn't and I couldn't work out what I did different on the pages that it did. Maybe I can try and put a border on the photo before I upload it to the page, that might help a bit.

Have to try and gave another play with it when the little ones have gone to bed.
            To have the images enlarge on mouse-over or double-click this would be done using a javascript code embedded into your site.

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by snowgoose View Post
              To have the images enlarge on mouse-over or double-click this would be done using a javascript code embedded into your site.

Jake
              Now that sounds very complicated!
              www.aberjewels.co.uk

Comment

I have to say my favorite site the has this enlarging feature is a jewellery making wholesaler in America. Not exactly sure how they do it but it is very nice it enlarges the photo and adds more information about the product.
                my blog: http://debsjeans.blogspot.com/

Facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pa...ls/48962246861

my misi.me http://www.misi.me.uk/store_info.php?user_id=879

Comment

Your website is lovely very fresh, I have just made a new website and I have loads of little problems we keep trying to change.

I'm far from an expert but are you using a light box for your photo's, this just helps to get rid of the shadows ect.

Thought my original message was gate crashing so have edited it.

very sorry!

Thanks
                  Last edited by karenmichelledesigns; 17-12-2008, 07:35 PM.

Comment

lovely site , the only thing I will say and I hope you don't mind me saying it
                    is that some things don't have prices and I always like to see how much something is going to cost me
                    www.sunrisecards.co.uk
                    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...5877781?ref=ts
                    http://www.facebook.com/pages/sunris...all&ref=search

Comment

Love the jewelry!

On Mozilla Firefox web browser, the 'AJ' image overlaps the heading on the home page.

The page source says frames are in use, but they aren't needed, so you may have a setting for frames which is on and would be best turned off (some browsers don't support frames).

The photos are being stretched (scaled in different amounts for width and height) which makes some of the necklaces on the gems page look odd. I don't know the software you're using, but often if you resize a photo by dragging a corner (rather than top/bottom or side) the aspect ratio is maintained.

The 'Debbie' and 'AJ' images need the background to be transparent: I was going to email 'fixed' versions to you, but they're not good enough to use - then I thought I'd remake them, but I don't have the same font you used! If you tell me the font, I'll re-create those two images for you with transparent backgrounds if that would help (it only takes a second).
                      If I ever make anything good enough to sell, I'll want to keep it!

http://mines.lumpylumpy.com/Electron...xNet/index.php

Comment

Thanks Rhinosoross that would be great if you could do that for me. The font I have used is littlelordfonterly (don't laugh!!). I wanted a logo and that was about all I could think of using at the time, I downloaded the font from a website but can't remember which one right now.

I had trouble with the AJ overlapping on all the pages when I first set the site up but on the site building page it doesn't show as overlapping. I'll go back into it, probably tomorrow now and have another look. I've just started using the mozilla browser myself today so it's intersting to see how different it looks.

I had another search around my website builder package and it doesn't seem like I'm able to have thumbnails that enlarge when you click them so I'm stuck with the bigger pictures for now.

Got to go for now, my dd is calling me.

Thanks again for all your feedback

Debbie
                        www.aberjewels.co.uk

Comment

You have some lovely jewellery. The only changes I would make to the website are I'd centre the photos and make contacting you easier, I couldn't find the contact link, my hubby eventually spotted it in tiny writing at the bottom of the screen, I'd definitely make this bigger or better still have a contact/order page.

Good Luck

Jo x
                          Things to make and do
                          Things to make and do's Facebook page
                          Michael Lovejoy's Art

Comment

new site

Hi

Site colours are lovely, very soft & romantic for the kind of jewellery on it.

However I do agree with the others, make the photos smaller & individual with a short description against each, then click on them to enlarge.

Your jewellery looks lovely by the way - have bookmarked your site

I'll be setting up a website early in 2009 (not jewellery!) & am taking inspiration from all these beautiful sites about what & what not to do!

Good luck

Sharon

Comment

Your site is lovely, one suggestion on the photography, when you are photographing crystal or pale colours try a black background to make them stand out more, personally I like the bigger pictures saves all that clicking on and off.

Alice x
                              I started off with nothing and I've still got most if left.

www.folksy.com/shops/fluffysstuff

Comment

Working...
                              X