I've done it, I've launched my website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've done it, I've launched my website

Finally, after much tweaking and changing my mind, I've finally published my website - hooooooorah!

I haven't put loads on there at the moment, waiting to see what stock I bring back from the Craft Fair tomorrow, but I wanted to have it up & running for the fair so I can give out details.

Would love opinions, good or bad, honestly would like reviews, not just angling for praise here.

Thanks all

Happy Jan (who is now off to bed, at last!)
    "Human beings, who are almost remarkable in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" - Douglas Adams

Blog: http://janscardscraftsandmusings.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/JanJackman
    Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6759167?ref=nf

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Wow! looks great, You clever girl. Congratulations darl xxx

Folksy shop http://www.folksy.com/shops/Fairyweb

Comment

Looks great Jan! Now get some sleep ready for your fair tomorrow See you there!
      Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Love it. Easy to navigate and nice colours. How exciting! x
        Baby bibs with a difference...
        We now do t-shirts up to 4 years!
        www.bibbledribble.co.uk
        http://www.folksy.com/shops/BibbleDribble

Comment

Love the colours! Its nice and elegant.

But! Dont sell yourself short lady! £2 for earrings must not cover much. Makes me feel like im charging far too much for mine
          Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

The overall design is great re functionality - navigation is simple and quick.

Constructional criticism:
            • To me the background graphic overpowers the thumbnail pics - are you able to choose a more subtle difference between the two colours - say a creamy ivory background and a more subdued orangey pattern?

• clicking on the thumbnail of a product to see an enlarged image takes longer than some people would like - can you reduce the resolution of the image and also the quality of the JPEG? This won't affect the the image as seen onscreen - 80dpi and 75% quality JPEG will look just as good but will be a much smaller filesize (this doesn't bother me but many people expect an almost immediate result from a click)

Please don't be upset - as I said the overall working of your site works nicely.
            ElaineJ soap and other stuff
            website
            blog

Comment

Overall I think it's fab, very stylish. I like the look and feel very much and I don't mind the bold background colour I think that is part of the statement of what your site is.

My main concern is that you are underselling your jewellery Put your prices up!!!! Have you really doubled your materials costs and added labour?

I do have a couple of comments about the site technically:

You might want to consider making your text a little darker,that pale grey might be difficult for people with poorer eyesight to read.

There is a bit of jumping on the positioning of your main content when clicking the nav menu - both 'upcoming events' and 'online store' jump everything to the right slightly and then clicking other links from these pages jumps it back to the left. This should just be a width or positioning issue and fairly easy to fix.

My last issue is with the pictures. The jewellery ones are fine but the greetings card thumbnails are all different sizes which just looks a bit untidy, if you can resize them to be more alike that would improve the visual impact of the page. Also the watermark is at a different scale in each pic, ideally it should be the same, I presume you've added it before resizing your pictures.

I hope you don't mind my comments (I did make websites in my real job before my son was born) and I really do like your site

As for the craft fair, best of luck, thinking of you and hope it all goes well!
              Elinor
              x

My Misi page
              Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Hi guys (you late owls & early birds )

Thank you all for your comments, and I do appreciate all the comments, I genuinely did want feedback as it's so easy to get bogged down in it and hard to look at your own site constructively, so thanks.

The problems I'm having with colour is that I've chosen a theme and it's very difficult to get shades of colour, I may need to select a different background altogether as I was a bit concerned about the colour being too strong and I can't amend the grey text either (which DH pointed out was a bit too light), so you've really highlighted something I was concerned about - so will have a play with that and will take a look at the pics again, and see about improving them.

I'm chuffed you think my earrings are too cheap, my concern is I've only just started making jewellery and feel some of the pieces are still rather basic at the moment and didn't want to overcharge, but will def. have a re-think on the prices.

Right, I mustn't get bogged down in the forum or my website this morning as I've got to get ready for the craft fair this afternoon, but will have a play with the website again tomorrow.

Thanks again for your lovely comments and critique, all much appreciated.
                "Human beings, who are almost remarkable in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" - Douglas Adams

Blog: http://janscardscraftsandmusings.blogspot.com/
                Twitter: http://twitter.com/JanJackman
                Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...6759167?ref=nf

Independent Stampin' Up! Demonstrator

Comment

Originally posted by Autumn Faerie View Post
                  The problems I'm having with colour is that I've chosen a theme and it's very difficult to get shades of colour
                  I don't know how you are building it, Jan, but if you have access to the HTML file I think you might be able to insert the code for the colour (I'm not an expert at HTML so this may not work). If you go into word and write some text the colour you want on you web site you should be able to convert the page to html (I think you go to the 'designer view' - look in help if you are having trouble finding it). In the designer mode you should be able to open the HTML page form the script editor and you should be able to use the find/search function to find the words you've written - you should see a line of script giving the colour of the font (in code - color: #6D675B). You might be able to cut the colour code into your website code to change it. It's cumbersome and someone might know a much quicker way but this is how I've done it for changing colours on Ebay wizards where they only give you a limited choice of colours.

Hope this helps

I thought you site was great btw - but agree that the font is a little hard to read. Good luck
                  for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
                  plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
                  Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

All the text attributes: colour, size, font type etc are in the stylesheet attached to your webpages. I presume as you've used Mr Site it is one of their standard options? I don't know as I've never used Mr Site.

If you are able to edit the stylesheet (which from your perspective is in the Mr Site design space and is called ....css/base.css) then you can change the font colour to anything you want. If you can't do that, then it's possible to do an overwrite but it will have to be added to the source code page of every page.

Let me know if you want some help.
                    Last edited by cupcake; 22-11-2008, 10:30 AM. Reason: missed a word out
                    Elinor
                    x

My Misi page
                    Follow me on Twitter

Comment

I like the colour combo, but the grey should be a shade or two darker. Don't use black though, it would be too much. Very nice IMO.
                      Gail x

My Blog: http://gailburtonart.blogspot.com/

Comment

Looking good Jan - well done ! (and you have had some great constructive comments on this thread to help tweak it !)
                        Mel

Comment

Ah yes MR Site backgrounds! I ended up making my own! I couldnt find anything just right.

You'l be critiquing my website in a few days!!
                          Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Jan, I've PM'd you with details of how to change your font colour. I hope it makes sense.
                            Elinor
                            x

My Misi page
                            Follow me on Twitter

Comment

Hi Jan

Well done on launching your website,I'm trying to do mine and I know how time consuming it can be.
                              I think the overall layout is great and is very easy to read except as others have mentioned the text needs lightly darkening.Jan, don't undersell yourself your jewellery is lovelyand a lot of work has gone into them, I would personally charge more especially your woven bracelets and your earings.
                              The swirls are also quite heavy on the old eyes, maybe if you could tone these colours down slighly just a subtle shade of pink.Just a couple of small things like others have also said about when you click on your thumbnails they do take a while to load.Other than that I would give yourself A pat on the back as I know how hard it is to get a website built.Now you can just go on to tweek it when you have the time as all your ground work has been completed.
                              Wishing you all the very best and hope you get lots and lots of sales in the near furure.
                              Take CARE
                              JACKI
                              ***I can't promise you the MOON, but I can promise SPARKLE.***

http://wiganscraftyfriends.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                              X