Feedback sought on my online shop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback sought on my online shop.

It's early days yet as I only started adding bits and pieces to it the other day... but I'd appreciate any comments on the Online Shop section of my website, www.woodtattoos.co.uk, now that the site is coming together more quickly.

I haven't added many smaller pieces yet as I have to check exactly what I have in stock, so it isn't complete yet.

There are a few changes I'm considering making to the shop but I wanted to get some more experienced opinion first before I start tinkering (I'll just drive myself mad otherwise!) - if any of you guys'n'gals suggest what i'm thinking of, I'll know that my reasoning is justified!

Any feedback or criticism welcome!

Si.
    Wood Tattoos
    Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
    Facebook
    Flickr
    Twitter

I don't have a website myself so can't offer my own experience. I think your site is looking good but I do have one little criticism if I may. Personally I don't like the lines of text across the photos of your goods for sale. The first item I clicked on was the Halloween plate and I wasn't sure at first what the lines across it were. Good luck with your site.
    www.littlebead.blogspot.com
    www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

Originally posted by janetdc View Post
      I don't have a website myself so can't offer my own experience. I think your site is looking good but I do have one little criticism if I may. Personally I don't like the lines of text across the photos of your goods for sale. The first item I clicked on was the Halloween plate and I wasn't sure at first what the lines across it were. Good luck with your site.
      Hmm, they are the 'watermarks' that Mr Site uses to protect my images when I select that option. I wonder if I should removed them then? I do agree that they could be a little more subtle, but I was thinking that adding them to protect my images would be a good idea. But then I suppose I don't protect my Flickr ones so perhaps they should go...

What a rambling train of thought that was, eh?

Si.
      Wood Tattoos
      Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
      Facebook
      Flickr
      Twitter

Comment

Right .... you asked!

I can't see any pink anywhere

Seriously.....

Firstly, the first word on your homepage that search engines are going to read is "Welcome" you need to think of a more descriptive word ...

Look at my homepage, and right at the very top in the pink gingham header the first words are "personalised fabric bunting" This means I have more chance of appearing in a search if somebody uses any of those words in their search. To find your website, I would have had to have typed "welcome" how many people have that as their first word?!

Basically, google et al read web-pages line by line so try and think craftily (no pun intended). However, don't be tempted to do sneaky things like write in white letters on a white background because google will pick up on that and drop you down their listings.

Secondly, there's a typo of galley instead of gallery on your gallery header page (unless you are planning on adding a picture of a ship?!)

Thirdly Make it easy for customers to find things. I know you've got your menus etc, but could you make the photograph on your home-page link to your online shop header page, and also in the text where it says "online shop", make this a clickable link too. Whenver you say "contact me" in text, make it a clickable link.

Fourthly, I agree, get rid of the watermarks on your images, it just detracts the eye from your products.

Fifthly, make sure people know they can click on the small photographs in your shop to see a larger image - make it obvious

Sixthly (eeek), I know you've got product descriptions under each image, but could you put a general, overview description above the menu of images? eg, I clicked on "peg boards" on the menu and only saw images ... what are peg boards? what are they made from? what do I do with it? Maybe add just a little bit of text outlining each product range.

Seventhly, does it say anywhere what the delivery timescale is? I couldn't see it anywhere?

I hope this is taken as constructive feedback which is the spirit it is given
        Last edited by JBJB; 03-07-2008, 08:46 PM.
        Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Ok I see what you are saying. Do other Mr Site users keep these in? I just think that your work is so good that it is a shame not to have a really clear image. It will be interesting to see what others think.
          www.littlebead.blogspot.com
          www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

Originally posted by JBJB View Post
            Right .... you asked!

Just what I was asking for, Emma!

(1) Excellent advice. Didn't think of that so I will change that when I next log on.
            (2) I do not have any immediate boating plans and hadn't notice the typo... as above, changes to follow!
            (3) Haven't yet worked out how to make pictures into clickable links but had been thinking about that!!
            (4) Consider them gone.
            (5) Another good point, will add a note to the top of the shopping page.
            (6) Well said... I had blindly hoped that the images were self explanatory.
            (7) I have vaguely mentioned it in the T&C section, but need to go into a bit more details as I only did that today... still trying to work out what I need to put.

and there is sufficient pink.

Si.
            Wood Tattoos
            Facebook
            Flickr
            Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by janetdc View Post
              Ok I see what you are saying. Do other Mr Site users keep these in? I just think that your work is so good that it is a shame not to have a really clear image. It will be interesting to see what others think.
              To be honest, they look horrible.

"Watermarks, you're useless, a waste of space. You're fired!"
              Wood Tattoos
              Facebook
              Flickr
              Twitter

Comment

I'm waiting for Ian B's post now, he's been looking at this thread for some time!!

Si.
                Wood Tattoos
                Facebook
                Flickr
                Twitter

Comment

Wood

Hi Si,

Your images I am afraid to say need to be sorted. The first thing I came across is that the images take far too long to load. In one only half appeared in the time it took me to have a shower!

It’s not professional to have the a copyright legend running through the centre of the image, for one thing it’s pointless as it would only take someone with a little experience with photoshop about 10 minutes to take it all out!

The image quality is not good. As an example the glass fronted jewellery box is out of focus as is the plate. The exposures are indifferent in all the images and there are areas that have impenetrable shadows.

I don’t think that the use of coloured backgrounds does anything to help the items you are trying to present. For one thing you would have to use better lighting to make it work and your selection of background would have to be carefully thought out and made more neutral. You would be better off using white to give the images more contrast as this would help bring out the texture in the wood grain.

Kindest Regards,

I..
                  www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?saved=1

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Beckerton View Post
                    Hi Si,

Your images I am afraid to say need to be sorted. The first thing I came across is that the images take far too long to load. In one only half appeared in the time it took me to have a shower!

It’s not professional to have the a copyright legend running through the centre of the image, for one thing it’s pointless as it would only take someone with a little experience with photoshop about 10 minutes to take it all out!

The image quality is not good. As an example the glass fronted jewellery box is out of focus as is the plate. The exposures are indifferent in all the images and there are areas that have impenetrable shadows.

I don’t think that the use of coloured backgrounds does anything to help the items you are trying to present. For one thing you would have to use better lighting to make it work and your selection of background would have to be carefully thought out and made more neutral. You would be better off using white to give the images more contrast as this would help bring out the texture in the wood grain.

Kindest Regards,

I..
                    Cheers for your response, Ian, I've found it very useful. I don't know what I can do about the loading speed for the images... is that going to be a Mr Site issue that I have no control over? I'm still getting to grips with this whole website malarkey.

I have a very basic digital camera and have been slowly realising for some time that it needs to be replaced. What sort of camera can you recommend that would give good results for my purposes at a reasonable cost?

White backgrounds definitely sounds like it should be a consideration for me, thanks for the advice. Will that give me any exposure issues to beware of? I haven't done any serious photography since college/Uni so I'm a bit out of practice.

Thanks again for your help and I hope you can answer my questions!

Si.
                    Wood Tattoos
                    Facebook
                    Flickr
                    Twitter

Comment

Hi Si, beautiful site so far - well done. However, a couple of minor points. I agree with Ian re the pics loading. I have a very short attention span and I found that I couldn't get the gallery to load at first and it took aaaaaaaaages to get the pics to load. If Joe Public wants to see the items, they'll have to load a lot faster.

Prices...........how much do you charge for your items...the public wishes to know

ps. loving the sheep spatulas.......they made me chuckle.
                      www.corrigancards.com

A mind is like a parachute........it only functions when open

Comment

Okey-dokey I'm no expert and I'm sure my website would be pulled to pieces if I asked for a review but here are a few thing that jumped at me....

Agree completely with JBJB about making sure customers know the images are clickable to enlarge them, also agree with JBJB (and everyone else) re the watermark but then you knew that already plus Ian's right about how slow your images take to load - I was about to give up when it finally appeared. The other thing that struck me that hasn't been mentioned yet is your product descriptions - unless I'm being blind there's no measurements on there! I think it's absolutely vital to include these for obvious reasons.

Good work though and I'm sure you'll get there sooner rather than later
                        Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
                          Okey-dokey I'm no expert and I'm sure my website would be pulled to pieces if I asked for a review but here are a few thing that jumped at me....

Agree completely with JBJB about making sure customers know the images are clickable to enlarge them, also agree with JBJB (and everyone else) re the watermark but then you knew that already plus Ian's right about how slow your images take to load - I was about to give up when it finally appeared. The other thing that struck me that hasn't been mentioned yet is your product descriptions - unless I'm being blind there's no measurements on there! I think it's absolutely vital to include these for obvious reasons.

Good work though and I'm sure you'll get there sooner rather than later
                          Please someone help me... how can I get the images to loads faster?!!

I haven't dug my tape measure out yet, which is something I will need to do! My fault, and basically due to the fact I've been doing bits and pieces to the site at different times when my stock is stored elsewhere.

Thanks for the input, nattynetty!

Si.
                          Wood Tattoos
                          Facebook
                          Flickr
                          Twitter

Comment

Hubby says you need to make your image file sizes much smaller, resize them according to final pixels on screen (600 wide in your case) using photoshop or paintshop pro or similar. There's a 'save for web' option on them (usually under file) where you can further optimise your photos to make them less kb but still as good an image for web use. For example hubby took one of your images which was 755kb and optimised it to 25kb without losing too much detail. Here is the one he optimised....
                            Attached Files
                            Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I'm not on my home computer at present and the images load up quickly when I look at them. Is it any images in particular that people have had problems with?
                              Wood Tattoos
                              Facebook
                              Flickr
                              Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X