Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanks for the amazing welcome, can I get your valuable input please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the amazing welcome, can I get your valuable input please?

Hey there, been overly impressed with how helpful everyone has been on this forum, so thank you for that. Had a bit of a shaky start being new to forums and all that, but I think I have found my feet, just wish I had more time to browse the forum in its entirity.

I was wandering if I could get some input on my site, and ease of navigation. It isn't entirely finished but am trying. Hopefully will be alot closer to finished at the end of the month, more the fact I don't have all my product on the site yet.

I am pleased to announce I have had my second sale yesturday, which for me is very exciting, well without further adue here it is

http://www.ricocostumejewellery.co.uk
    Does the name need to be changed? Yes
    0.00%
    Does the name need to be changed? No
    20.93%
    Is It easy to navigate? Yes
    18.60%
    Is It easy to navigate? No
    0.00%
    Do the pictures show you enough? Yes
    16.28%
    Do the pictures show you enough? No
    4.65%
    Are there too many catergories? Yes
    2.33%
    Are there too many catergories? No
    11.63%
    Marks: 1 out of 4
    4.65%
    Marks: 2 out of 4
    4.65%
    Marks: 3 out of 4
    11.63%
    Marks: 4 out of 4
    4.65%
    Mike

My attempt at something beautiful
    Beads
    Photography
    T-Shirts
    WhatWillHappen

I think it's a nice site on the whole. I quite like the pictures you've used. There does seem to be a lot going on in some of the pages... the links seem to be duplicated, i.e., in the text menu at the side and also as a pictorial link... I'm not sure if this confuses the eye more than actually offering any benefit. Perhaps removing them would make it a little less cluttered? I'm not an expert on web design or anything so please don't take what I say as gospel!

Si.
    Wood Tattoos
    Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
    Facebook
    Flickr
    Twitter

Comment

My only criticism is that in the text menu on the left you have a section called "different types" and I was thinking different types of what? Beads, finished jewellery, wires, or whatever else is used for jewellery making. A bit vague for a section. Can't think what to call it instead at the moment. Otherwise a nice website and easy to navigate.
      View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Nice site, easy to navigate and well laid out, not sure if it loaded properly though because near the bottom I had what looked like a bit of blue sky with clouds in and nothing else?!?!

But apart from that it was good, in fact so good I may copy (only joking).
        for all your paper & card needs visit www.ideasinpaper.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          , not sure if it loaded properly though because near the bottom I had what looked like a bit of blue sky with clouds in and nothing else?!?!
          Lol, its there as esthetics, a bit of a legacy of the people who helped me create it

Thanks for all the other comments, am going to change different types heading but am struggling what to change it too.

Thanks again
          Mike

Beads
          Photography
          T-Shirts
          WhatWillHappen

Comment

Hi Rico,

I think overall the site is professionally laid out, easy to navigate and clear, which is good

However... as a UK based business, by law you are required to show a full postal address somewhere on your site, and I couldn't find one on yours. As a potential customer, that would put me off.

Also, I assume all of your jewellery is handmade by yourself? I would put an 'about me' section to make customers feel like they 'know' you a bit more. For every person who is happy to buy mass produced, there is another who likes to 'know' the person they are buying from. I have already had an enquiry from someone via my site, just because I have mentioned I love hotrod culture and she does too!

I hope that doesn't sound too critical, because your site is good.

Claire
            Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
            Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
            www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

Originally posted by ladyluckjewellery View Post
              Hi Rico,

I think overall the site is professionally laid out, easy to navigate and clear, which is good

However... as a UK based business, by law you are required to show a full postal address somewhere on your site, and I couldn't find one on yours. As a potential customer, that would put me off.

Also, I assume all of your jewellery is handmade by yourself? I would put an 'about me' section to make customers feel like they 'know' you a bit more. For every person who is happy to buy mass produced, there is another who likes to 'know' the person they are buying from. I have already had an enquiry from someone via my site, just because I have mentioned I love hotrod culture and she does too!

I hope that doesn't sound too critical, because your site is good.

Claire
              Not at all, thats a very good point and I have nothing to hide. There would have been a address somewhere but it would have been for the company I work for. I must speak to the person who helped me create it regarding that, thanks for the heads up. And the about me bit is also a good idea, again I have no idea how to add pages in so will have to discuss that too, but yeah your right I want people to know I have created the jewellery myself, the only problem is about 5% I didn't create, its was created by someone I know in Mauritius how do you think I can get that across, because obviously I don't want to lie and at the same time I am adding more designs the whole time so the percentage is decreasing?

P.s. I appreciate some critism, I don't believe I can get it right in one, good to be knocked down a peg or two
              Mike

Beads
              Photography
              T-Shirts
              WhatWillHappen

Comment

I like your site, it is clear and easy to navigate.

I notice that you already say that some items are made by someone else in Maruritius. Maybe you could put the items made by your friend in a separate section as Mauritius Jewellery or Featured Designer, if she designs them herself. Then add a note at the top of the section mentioning that they are made by ... in Mauritius.
                I would like to know a bit more about the beads and gemstones you use. for example 'small light brown beads with round black beads' doesn't really tell me a lot. I would prefer to know if they are shell or glass or black onyx etc.
                I also notice that you have earrings using 'solid silver beads attached to a silver plated earring hoop'. I do not think it is a good idea to mix plated and sterling silver together as the plated metal will devalue the item. I will either use all sterling silver and hill tribe silver (99% silver), or a mix of silver plated and maybe tibetian silver (which of course is base metal and not sterling silver) in a piece. So I can sell at the best price.
                Another thing to bear in mind is that as long as the beads do not weigh over 7.78 grams the item will not need to be hallmarked. But if they did need to be hallmarked the assay office states
                "Articles of precious metals and other materials are permitted provided that the other materials are distinguishable and their extent is clearly visible. They must not be plated to look like precious metals"

Melanie

Comment

Originally posted by Rico121 View Post
                  yeah your right I want people to know I have created the jewellery myself, the only problem is about 5% I didn't create, its was created by someone I know in Mauritius how do you think I can get that across
                  I think the easiest way to do this is to make it clear all the jewellery is handmade and on the items made by your friend in Mauritius state "handmade by...and then add their name" after all they should get the credit too (for example if Seahorse was selling some jewellery on her site that was made by Sparkles then I can't see how it would cause a problem for her to mention this as it reinforces the handmade ethos). On all the other items you could mention they are made by you or if that is too cumbersome put this on an 'About You' section.
                  Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Images!

Are you happy with your images as there is no point in me being picky if you are!

Kindest Regards,

I..
                    www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?saved=1

Comment

1 Really Like Your Name And Site!!! A Bit About Yourself Would Be Nice!!! Do You Mind If I Criticise The Lovely Ankle Chain? It Is Gorgeous But I Think It Needs Something On The End Of The Extender. Maybe A Tiny Bead, Or Another Tiny Charm To Finish It Off!!!!! Just My Humble Opinion!!!! Suexx :d
                      http://susieQinblogland.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by silvermaid View Post
                        I would like to know a bit more about the beads and gemstones you use. for example 'small light brown beads with round black beads' doesn't really tell me a lot. I would prefer to know if they are shell or glass or black onyx etc.
                        I also notice that you have earrings using 'solid silver beads attached to a silver plated earring hoop'. I do not think it is a good idea to mix plated and sterling silver together as the plated metal will devalue the item. I will either use all sterling silver and hill tribe silver (99% silver), or a mix of silver plated and maybe tibetian silver (which of course is base metal and not sterling silver) in a piece.

Melanie
                        I did not know that about Tibetan silver, looks like I'll be editing a fair bit on my site, I'm glad I haven't really sold anything yet. Also in total agreeance about putting the materials used. I wanted to fill the descriptions out a bit and this is how I can do it. The only problem is how do I find out what all the beads are made from, because not sure the person I get them from is top of the food chain?
                        Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
                        I think the easiest way to do this is to make it clear all the jewellery is handmade and on the items made by your friend in Mauritius state "handmade by...and then add their name" after all they should get the credit too (for example if Seahorse was selling some jewellery on her site that was made by Sparkles then I can't see how it would cause a problem for her to mention this as it reinforces the handmade ethos). On all the other items you could mention they are made by you or if that is too cumbersome put this on an 'About You' section.
                        I totally agree with this, and I will be mentioning to them about this. It would make the site more intesting to have two designers stuff up as it adds more variety.

Originally posted by Ian Beckerton View Post
                        Are you happy with your images as there is no point in me being picky if you are!

Kindest Regards,

I..
                        Finally, lol. Not all of them as I could have spent more time on them and done some more of the post process better. Plus I think some of them are quiet sterile. But I would love you to be picky, I wouldn't have made the post for people to be critical if I couldn't take a bit of negative critism, plus you might say something I hadn't thought of.
                        Mike

Beads
                        Photography
                        T-Shirts
                        WhatWillHappen

Comment

Originally posted by SusieQ View Post
                          1 Really Like Your Name And Site!!! A Bit About Yourself Would Be Nice!!! Do You Mind If I Criticise The Lovely Ankle Chain? It Is Gorgeous But I Think It Needs Something On The End Of The Extender. Maybe A Tiny Bead, Or Another Tiny Charm To Finish It Off!!!!! Just My Humble Opinion!!!! Suexx :d
                          I think this is going to be my project for this weekend, putting together a bit about myself. It seems unanyamous that this is missing and is important.

As for the Anklet, not at all, I like that and hadn't thought of it. I do have a load more anklets I will be putting up shortly that have little silver balls at the end of extender, I got both types because my girl friend prefers them with, and I prefer them without, he he.
                          Mike

Beads
                          Photography
                          T-Shirts
                          WhatWillHappen

Comment

Images

Hi Mike,

Well, there is so much to comment on that I can only answer in a specific way rather than comment on all the images I have viewed!

The quality of the images are very variable, some are flat (lighting), some are a little soft (focus), some have poor exposure control, some have poor shadow control, most require cleaning up to a higher standard and nearly all of the images are artistically weak.

The strongest parts of the image side of the site are the inset images, the small images that lead you into the full size image. Some of the angles on these are quite good but the images are detracted by having uncontrolled shadow or flat lighting. Once you click on to a larger image then the artistic layout is a letdown, the images aren’t reaching out to you, the control of the perspective isn’t leading the viewers’ eye to the centre of the image.

Quite a lot of the exposures are out; this is very noticeable with the blacks as there is no detail in them. You are letting the camera do too much of the work, it can’t do this accurately enough to have a good exposure; you have to be in control of the exposure all of the time with still life images.

The shadow control is weak. Either there should be no shadow as most commercial graphic designers would request or the shadow should be soft and alluring and used to give depth to the image.

If you are going to shoot to white then there should be no marks or grey areas in the image frame at all, commercially this is very important. Shooting to black is something of an acquired taste and really doesn’t work very well with most things and silver is one of them, this is where exposure control is vital.

I think it would be better if you asked me to view a particular image as this way I can be a lot more objective and help you get the best out of what you are trying to do.

Kindest Regards,

I..
                            www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?saved=1

Comment

Wow, I totally agree with you on most of the points you have laid down and my strong point when it comes to photography has never been studio photography, especially with cheap equipment, which is what I am being forced to use. My lights are to weak to get pure whites so bringing them to white is very difficult, especially when I have so many items to put up and so little time to put them up. I can take proper studio photo's but with the right equipment. My fortay lies in art photography, if you go on my photography website www.ricoimage.com and look in the 'Industrial' and 'Urban' categories, hopefully you will agree.

I'm sorry if it sounds like I am being defensive, I'm not I'm just showing some work of a higher standard, with proper equipment, this is why I'd like you to look at some studio work I have done, completly unrelated to jewellery at http://www.flickr.com/photos/7205000...7594572192287/ if this doesn't work then if you search flickr for 'RicoImage' and look under the people tab then once your on my profile look at product shots. Hopefully you will agree with the right equipment I can shoot ok product shots.

I would like to ask your advice on one front though, I am thinking of using a model for my jewellery, for starters is this a good idea? I was only going to shoot neckline for necklaces and just the ears for earrings, without face as this would take the focus away from what I'm shooting. Would skin colour make a big difference to which jewellery I was shooting? As the model I will be using has olive skin. I would love to know what sort of shoots I can do for this and if you could show me some examples. If not a model what should I use as I understand my shoots are lifeless and lack depth, to be honest with you, I only really like the .gifs leading to the products anyway.

I would ask you to critic specific images but I feel it would be a waste of your time as I could probably tell you most of what you would tell me.

P.S. I love the shots on your flickr of the glasses, the white wine and the empty glasses are good I know how difficult it can be to get rid of reflections and getting the right angle of the lights. Do you shoot with studio lights? Do you shoot in a studio or using natural light?
                              Mike

Beads
                              Photography
                              T-Shirts
                              WhatWillHappen

Comment

Working...
                              X