New Website & New Job!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Website & New Job!!!

Hi I've just started working for my sisters craft company and have been put in charge of the website (something she may come to regret with my knowledge of computers), but you never know.

I was wondering if you all would mind having a look and telling me what you think, I would really appreciate all the feedback I can get...

Thankyou very much in advance your all ace

The website address would probably help, it's www.ideasinpaper.co.uk

Thanks
    for all your paper & card needs visit www.ideasinpaper.co.uk

Images!!!!!

Hi Vuzans,

I have had a look at the site but won’t comment on this as it is not really my bag. However, I can comment on the images that are displayed.

If this is going to be a professional site then the images will have to be changed, they are not good! Virtually everything needs to be changed, the exposure is inaccurate, they are out of focus and the composition is weak. Black backgrounds do not work well at the best of times and this is a good example of what not to do with them.

It’s quite likely that the thought behind all this is about saving money by shooting the items in house. This will work if you can produce good images but if the images produced are weak then it will impact directly on your sales.

People will not buy from these images as they give the wrong impression of the site. You may well have a good site but with poor imaging all this is wasted!

Sorry to be so objective but it is the only way forward.

Kindest Regards,

I..
    www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?saved=1

Comment

It's a nice looking site but I would change the large blocks of heavy black capital letters. Such text is actually harder to read and doesn't look as professional as normal text. Hope you don't mind me raising the point!

Si.
      Wood Tattoos
      Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
      Facebook
      Flickr
      Twitter

Comment

I agree with woodtattoos about the font and capitals - the site screams cheap and not bothered, although clearly you're not!!

The bit about displaying only a few items really is not a good idea as I'm already put off despite the fact that I will be needing bulk hammered card for wedding stationery next year - it makes me not want to check back to see what else you've added.

And the photos are quite bad. I know my photos on my website are not the best but they are clear and I've thought about the background too.

Sorry for being negative, but there is a lot of potential!

Comment

Hi thanks for the feedback so far, I shall do some of the changes with regard to type size and style later today hopefully and I must admit I totally agree about the pictures, I dont know who took them but there no David Bailey

Thank you very much yet again

Comment

Originally posted by Tip Top View Post
            I agree with woodtattoos about the font and capitals - the site screams cheap and not bothered, although clearly you're not!!

The bit about displaying only a few items really is not a good idea as I'm already put off despite the fact that I will be needing bulk hammered card for wedding stationery next year - it makes me not want to check back to see what else you've added.

And the photos are quite bad. I know my photos on my website are not the best but they are clear and I've thought about the background too.

Sorry for being negative, but there is a lot of potential!
            Hi Tip Top,thanks again for your comments which I really appreciate. so do you think we should remove the bit stating only displaying a few items and leave it at that?

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by woodtattoos View Post
              It's a nice looking site but I would change the large blocks of heavy black capital letters. Such text is actually harder to read and doesn't look as professional as normal text. Hope you don't mind me raising the point!

Si.
              Thanks Si. I'll try change the wording later today

Do you think it should be a different colour as well or just a different text?

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Beckerton View Post
                Hi Vuzans,

I have had a look at the site but won’t comment on this as it is not really my bag. However, I can comment on the images that are displayed.

If this is going to be a professional site then the images will have to be changed, they are not good! Virtually everything needs to be changed, the exposure is inaccurate, they are out of focus and the composition is weak. Black backgrounds do not work well at the best of times and this is a good example of what not to do with them.

It’s quite likely that the thought behind all this is about saving money by shooting the items in house. This will work if you can produce good images but if the images produced are weak then it will impact directly on your sales.

People will not buy from these images as they give the wrong impression of the site. You may well have a good site but with poor imaging all this is wasted!

Sorry to be so objective but it is the only way forward.

Kindest Regards,

I..
                Thanks for your advice I, which colour backgrounds would you recommend for the pictures, as I have just been informed that my predecessor took the pictures and spent a fortune on a new camera and background display boards.

Comment

Yep, remove the bit about a few items but you could add that you are constantly updating the site with new lines, or something similar - entices people more!

Let us know when you've made changes!!

Comment

A bit of a problem I found it is has no title heading! It kind of sounds silly, but I think it is really important to have a banner heading or the like, or even just the name of the company at the top of the page. I thinmit gives buyers confidence in the company and so what they're selling.

Also, you mention a contact form but I couldn't find one.

One of the easiest things to do in helping yourself with web design is look at other sites and see how they're laid out, then try and incorporate some of that into your own.

It's hard work building a site (and it's never done!) but can be very rewarding!
                    http://www.folksy.com/shops/silvermoss

http://silvermoss.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi the first thing I found about the site is that you don't have the name of your company on any of your pages and especially on your welcome page.

Rather than having to contact you about P&P etc can you not add pages with this information on. If I want to order something then I normally like to just get on with it rather than have to wait for info on postage charges and delivery times.

Why not make sure you are completely happy with the website before publishing rather than telling people that all of your items are not on the site then you can also take the time with your photos and use the tips Ian has given you.

It took me 3 months to get my website up and running and I am still changeing things now and going back and updating the photos as the first impression does really count.

Good luck with everything I am sure the site will end up looking fab!
                      www.sparklehandmadejewellery.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by *karen* View Post
                        Hi the first thing I found about the site is that you don't have the name of your company on any of your pages and especially on your welcome page.

Rather than having to contact you about P&P etc can you not add pages with this information on. If I want to order something then I normally like to just get on with it rather than have to wait for info on postage charges and delivery times.

Why not make sure you are completely happy with the website before publishing rather than telling people that all of your items are not on the site then you can also take the time with your photos and use the tips Ian has given you.

It took me 3 months to get my website up and running and I am still changeing things now and going back and updating the photos as the first impression does really count.

Good luck with everything I am sure the site will end up looking fab!
                        Hi Karen thanks for the advice, the company name and logo hsould appear at the top of each page, I've just checked and it appeared the first 5 times but not on the sixth occasion, cant understand that one..... With regard to postage that note on the home page should have been deleted by my predecesor as postage is now automatically calculated when you purchase something....I know it's not perfect but with everyones kind advice I'm sure I can do it.

Thanks again

Comment

I know that you have had lots of helpful feedback and that you are going to take some of that on board. Personally I would have a brighter more colourful home page and i have to say that their was no site name when i checked. It really needs a banner I think to make it look a little classier and professional. I'm sure once you get make some adjustments it will look great and help generate lots of sales.
                          www.littlebead.blogspot.com
                          www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

I reckon you'll have this site looking the bee's knees, the mutt's nuts and the puppy's privates in no time!

Give us a shout when you want us to look again once you've started to stamp your own input all over it.

Si.
                            Wood Tattoos
                            Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                            Facebook
                            Flickr
                            Twitter

Comment

Backgrounds

It doesn’t matter how old or how new a camera is or whether its film or digital, it still won’t expose correctly against an overwhelmingly white or black background. Camera exposure systems only try to work out the average values for the image. If the average value for this exposure is based around the exposure for mid grey (as in landscapes where the predominant colour is green grass or trees. This has a similar reflective index to mid grey) then all will be well with the image. If however the background is a predominant colour then the cameras exposure system will be confused into thinking that the exposure is something else other than the correct one.

To keep things simple then the only background you should be using is white, which as you can well imagine will play havoc if you are shooting a white subject. The easiest way round all this if you insist on using the automatic exposure system on the camera is to shoot against grey. Grey will give you good contrast, won’t affect the colours of the materials and will help the cameras exposure system to get an accurate exposure.

The wisest investment you would ever make is to invest in a good incidental light exposure meter, this wont get confused by the backgrounds as it only measures light that is falling onto rather than reflected from the object. It will mean that you would have to use the camera in its manual mode but you should be doing this already.

The way I would do your type of image would be to use a white background, soft flash, an incidental light meter and the manual settings on the camera. Whites however need something different as the background has to be brighter then the white object or darker than the object but not the same as the object as you would not see anything. I will write a FAQ on shooting whites as it is not straight forward but there are ways round everything!

Kindest Regards,

I..
                              www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?saved=1

Comment

Working...
                              X