Website questions... Mr Site etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website questions... Mr Site etc

As suggested by several people, I am looking at building my own website shortly. I've heard a lot of people mention Mr Site and have been looking into it. completely new to all this website malarkey, that's why I've only had Myspace/Etsy/Flickr up until now.

A few questions about Mr Site...

What are the pros and cons? How have other crafters found it in terms of ease of use, professionalism, online support, etc? I'm And a little question... do you think I should go .com or .co.uk ?

Looking forward to hearing from some other site owners!

Si.
    Wood Tattoos
    Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
    Facebook
    Flickr
    Twitter

I've just bought mr site but haven't progressed far with it yet as have been so busy. I bought it based on recommendations from others on here so will be interested to read comments on this thread.

I bought mine from 'the gadget shop' they sell it for £31.50 which is cheaper than online - if there is one near you it may be worth a trip.

Helen

Visit my blog!
    http://peggycrafts.blogspot.com/

www.peggycrafts.co.uk

Etsy shop:
    www.peggycrafts.etsy.com

Comment

I'm happy with Mr Site and have upgraded to Mr site Pro. For the money (£24.98 from Amazon for a whole year's subscription) I think Mr Site great. I found it simple to set up, although, time consuming but I imagine most sites take a while to set up and I've found the on-line support very helpful. I don't know what other websites are like, so, I suppose, I've got nothing to compare it to, so, I couldn't honestly say it's better/worse, or, easier/harder to use than sites from other providers.

If nothing else, I believe it's a good starting point, I didn't feel like I was wasting loads of money, when I was faffing around at the beginning, whereas, if I'd been paying out more I'd have felt under pressure to get it all sorted out. It certainly isn't perfect but, taking the price into consideration, it's pretty dashed good.

So, that's a 'thumbs-up' from me for Mr Site.
      Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

I used to have a mrsite site but to be honest I had to drop it because the amount of problems I had with it. The amount it just couldn't do compared to a normal website meant I had no other option.
        Mrsite is cheap and to be honest for the money it's really good value but you do get what you pay for. If you pay to get a site done for you...and there are grants available from the business link to pay towards it, you spend a hell of a lot less time tinkering with it...time you could put towards making things...and SEO will be easier to cope with.
        Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery & Glass Fusing Blog
        Dichroic Glass Tutorials
        Wholesale Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery

Comment

All interesting reading so far, thanks to everyone for their input. The main thing for me is I'm hardly making any sales at the moment at all so it has to be value for money. I realise that I need a site and am testing the waters to find the best way to do it. I can't afford to get anyone else to do it for me (believe me, I've had a think to see if I have any tech-friends who could host a site but have hit a brick wall!)
          I also am the sort of person who wants to try and 'run my own show' without being dependent on others.

Si.
          Wood Tattoos
          Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
          Facebook
          Flickr
          Twitter

Comment

...As the biggest 'anti' mrsite, I'd say go for mrsite then- that might sound hypocritical but it is value for money and if you are just getting the feel for running your own site it is worth it- Buy a .co.uk if you sell mainly in the uk...com for overseas. Ideally, buy both and redirect one of the domains to the other- there's an option for it on mrsite.
            Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery & Glass Fusing Blog
            Dichroic Glass Tutorials
            Wholesale Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery

Comment

I use Mr Site. I think it's great. Once you get used to the system (which doesn't take very long) it's very easy. I paid approx £18 on Amazon back in Oct 07. Well worth the money. The support system they have is very good.

No negative comments from me really!
              Sharon
              Sharon

Facebook - Silly Old Bear Crafts

Folksy - www.folksy.com/shops/SillyOldBear
              Blog - www.sillyoldbearcrafts.blogspot.com
              Website - www.kidsnewcastle.co.uk

Comment

I use EKM e commerce hosts for my bead store which is great, but at £30 per month is costly and also doesn't have many off sales pages. It's amazing for stock contol, tracking and presentation (large photos options to have multiple photos per item.
                It works really well for my bead store, but I chose to go with mr site for Crystal Velvet. I did so because I wasn't sure what sales would be like. It has loads of pages, the option to link to paypal and templated shopping cart. You don't need HTML skills (although I'm sure they'd be helpful if you knew about it) There are endless blank templates so that you can build up your store as you want it. it actually offers me a lot more flexibility than the EKM site as far as gallery etc.
                I would say though that the best thing you can do it to not just jump in and start typing away. Get out the pen and paper and map out what you want your site to do. What pages do you want? what links on each page etc. think ahead and try and build that into your site. it can be very time consuming if you want to change something down the line. Only then should you actually start typing.
                full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

I used to have a Mr Site website and only had 3 sales in 12 months. I then switched to EKM and had my first sale through that website within an hour of the site going live !! I've been with EKM now since February and sales are increasing week on week.

Whilst you do pay a monthly hosting fee for EKM, I'd say you get what you pay for ! I more than cover the monthly hosting fee so am very happy with EKM.

All I would say is that whoever you go with, you'll be constantly tinkering with the site to improve it, help with SEO etc.

Hope that helps
                  Sarah
                  For 100% wool felt supplies, felt balls, buttons, ribbon, needle felting supplies and lots of other lovely stuff, visit BLOOMING FELT

Blooming Felt's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
                    I would say though that the best thing you can do it to not just jump in and start typing away. Get out the pen and paper and map out what you want your site to do. What pages do you want? what links on each page etc. think ahead and try and build that into your site. it can be very time consuming if you want to change something down the line. Only then should you actually start typing.
                    Beadsbydesign, thanks for that tip. I tried to give you some rep for a very good piece of advice but allegedly I have to 'spread myself around' a bit before I can give you any more!

This rep thing sounds a little bit like free loving now... I hadn't realised I was so monogamous with it.

Si.
                    Wood Tattoos
                    Facebook
                    Flickr
                    Twitter

Comment

well I know the thought is there!!!
                      full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
                        well I know the thought is there!!!
                        "Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more, a nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat!"

ROTFLMAO
                        Wood Tattoos
                        Facebook
                        Flickr
                        Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by woodtattoos View Post
                          And a little question... do you think I should go .com or .co.uk ?
                          Definately get both if you can.
                          Mel

Comment

I have a Mr Site one and even thought I don't advertise I get regular sales (and from people I don't 'know' hehehe!)

Its easy to use once you get to grips with how it fits together and I quite like it! I've just renewed for a second year - just under £35 for the year so its £2.90 a month which is an affordable outlay.

Have a look on the Mr Site website for inspiration but try buying from Amazon - I did last July and I think it was about £18 which is a lot cheaper than Mr Site.

Good luck with it!!

Comment

I've got my eye on a few brand new Mr Site packages which are being sold on eBay at the moment, otherwise I will be buying from Amazon. Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

Si.
                              Wood Tattoos
                              Facebook
                              Flickr
                              Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X