Are any of you Geocachers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are any of you Geocachers?

Just wondering if any of the craft forum members are Geocachers? We have been Geocaching for several months now and it great fun and so addictive! Not so good in the snow but it really does get you out and about discovering new places and is great for kids too.

I have started a blog about our adventures: http://www.the-geocache.blogspot.co....eocaching.html

I would love to hear from you if you do too!

Mick
    Preserving your items and memories in Handmade custom jewellery Keepsake Gifts

It sounds like great fun, am going to find out if there is anything in our area, think my kids would like it and maybe it's something the local scout group could do, thanks for introducing us to it!
    Blog: www.covegardennursery.co.uk/garden-nursery-blog/
    Facebook: Cove Garden Nursery

Comment

Originally posted by HF Glass Lady View Post
      It sounds like great fun, am going to find out if there is anything in our area, think my kids would like it and maybe it's something the local scout group could do, thanks for introducing us to it!
      It is great fun and there will certainly be loads in your area, I didn't realise they are all over the world and we have hundreds in our area. Click on the map and then the 'find my location' icon top left (you might have to zoom the map out a bit):

https://www.geocaching.com/map/

Our local scout groups play it, I keep bumping into them whilst out and about!

Mick

Comment

Originally posted by shpangle View Post
        It is great fun and there will certainly be loads in your area, I didn't realise they are all over the world and we have hundreds in our area. Click on the map and then the 'find my location' icon top left (you might have to zoom the map out a bit):

https://www.geocaching.com/map/

Our local scout groups play it, I keep bumping into them whilst out and about!

Mick

Just had a look and there are loads in our area! Some on the Great Western Canal which is nearby and also I think some on Exmoor, am going to look into a bit more and maybe suggest it for the Scout group, I have great ideas of having a go but unfortunately as we run our own business leisure time is a rare, but you have certainly got me interested. It reminds me of years ago there was a treasure hunt book (can't remember what it is called) that had lots of clues and locations in the UK and at the end you would find some amazing treasure...don't know if anyone did!
        Blog: www.covegardennursery.co.uk/garden-nursery-blog/
        Facebook: Cove Garden Nursery

Comment

Originally posted by HF Glass Lady View Post
          Just had a look and there are loads in our area! Some on the Great Western Canal which is nearby and also I think some on Exmoor, am going to look into a bit more and maybe suggest it for the Scout group, I have great ideas of having a go but unfortunately as we run our own business leisure time is a rare, but you have certainly got me interested. It reminds me of years ago there was a treasure hunt book (can't remember what it is called) that had lots of clues and locations in the UK and at the end you would find some amazing treasure...don't know if anyone did!
          I totally sympathise with the lack of leisure time thing! However the beauty about Geocaching is that if you have a spare hour you can go out and do a few...also I am finding that I am making more leisure time because it is so addictive! Quite a lot of the time the caches have been left on circular walks that the Geocacher wants to share with others...I have discovered some great places doing it that are on our doorstep and I didn't know about!

Mick

Comment

I had never heard of it before but since y ou have mentioned it I have looked into it and would be ideal for when we are looking after the twins. What a good idea.
            Carol
            God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
              I had never heard of it before but since y ou have mentioned it I have looked into it and would be ideal for when we are looking after the twins. What a good idea.
              A great place for you start would be the High Cross area on the A5. Some really lovely walks across the fields and lots and lots of very clever and interesting Geocaches to find. We give the kids a bag of cracker toys, toy soldiers etc for them to swap with things when they find a container.

Mick

Comment

One of my sons (23 yrs old!) came to visit & told me he went geocaching. I said "Blimey Jim, that's brave, potholing, where do you do that then?" Imagine my complete & utter surprise when he said it was just looking around various places for a hidden bag of Macdonalds toys or whatever & he once found in a box a coathanger with a washing up bottle hooked on the bottom left by someone from Germany....who'd have thought it. (lol)

Dave.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dDave View Post
                  One of my sons (23 yrs old!) came to visit & told me he went geocaching. I said "Blimey Jim, that's brave, potholing, where do you do that then?" Imagine my complete & utter surprise when he said it was just looking around various places for a hidden bag of Macdonalds toys or whatever & he once found in a box a coathanger with a washing up bottle hooked on the bottom left by someone from Germany....who'd have thought it. (lol)

Dave.
                  Haha! Yes you do find some strange things but that isn't really the reason for doing it...quite a lot of the Geocaches I look for are really small Nano caches (about the size of your finger nail)!!

Mick

Comment

Working...
                  X