Fettling tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fettling tool

If anyone works with pliable or soft modelling materials then this simple and inexpensive tool is the bees knees. Fettling tools can mean a range of various tools, to be honest. 'Fettling' is the removal of 'seams' where a a raised line is visible when clay is taken out of a multi-piece mould. The raised line is simply where the slip, liquid clay, has seeped into the seam a little.

The fettling tool I use (for nearly everything when it comes to sculpting detail and or bas relief in wax) comes from MOD EDIT - NO ADVERTISING YET! It has two tools one either end of wooden handle. One end is like an arrow, and I have yet to find a use for it in the work I do. The other end however is a very different beast .

It is shaped like a crescent moon and tapers into a point. Naturally enough it is very good at inscribing lines etc as the curve means the swarf (waste material) is rmoved by coming into contact with the curvature of the tool itself as a long thin circular length of the (in my case) wax (I call this technique a). So it actually (mostly) cuts the wax rather than displace it, although some displacement is unavoidable. This is as two very slightly raised lines either side of the cut. However by holding the tool flat against the work and gently pulling in the direction of the line one has cut, this can be removed with ease.I call this technique b. I usually pop the wax into a freezer for ten minutes or so before this part of the gig. It means that the very fine swarf resulting from technique b can be blown away from the wax surface, a bonus as normally wax is slightly tacky.

And the tool can be used to remove material from difficult nooks and crannies, to flatten areas, to inscribe lines as one goes along...I use this tool for ninety percent of the time I am working on wax...mind you my work is detailed. For larger pieces I would switch to loop tools used by potters and heated slighty with a spirit lamp for ease of use working with wax - especially removing sizeable portions of wax in one go.

The materials one could try it on (and this is off the top of my head, and as I haven't used it on all of the following materials, I am writing a BIG disclaimer at this juncture!) are:

Super Sculpey
    Fimo
    Wax
    Clays
    Das Pronto
    Chavant

A very inexpensive but utterly invaluable tool for the types of work given.
    Last edited by Peter; 10-09-2007, 04:27 PM.
    Many a mickle muches a markle...

I will have to wait till you have made 25 postings and you can show us the picture you wanted to!!

I use fimo and although you gave a very detailed description, I'm still baffled

Unless of course you would like to email me the picture???

Pauline
    Personalised Wedding Cake Toppers

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      I will have to wait till you have made 25 postings and you can show us the picture you wanted to!!

I use fimo and although you gave a very detailed description, I'm still baffled

Unless of course you would like to email me the picture???

Pauline
      It wasn't a picture Pauline. Pictures cannot be uploaded until 25 posts. It was a company name.

Comment

We have lost "larry" at the first fence hehehehehee

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
        (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

oh no you haven't. OK I gave myself a bit of a strain leaping the hurdle...and apart from the look on my face I'm fine! For those with the inclination here is the URL for that picture.

The tool on the other end is a pin tool - that's changed since my day....but the business end is that crescent shape....you can even use the reverse of it to tamp down small areas.

And now I have tried to paste the URL I understand...that my arrival on the other side of the hurdle was a figment of my imagination...Doh!

However if one wishes to go to a site called MOD EDIT - PLEEEEZE READ THE FORUM RULES RE POSTING URLs!!
          Lo and behold...I find myself on the other side of the hurdle again!
          Last edited by Peter; 10-09-2007, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by larryfroot View Post
            oh no you haven't. OK I gave myself a bit of a strain leaping the hurdle...and apart from the look on my face I'm fine! For those with the inclination here is the URL for that picture.

However if one wishes to go to a site called MOD EDIT - PLEEEEZE READ THE FORUM RULES RE POSTING URLs!!
            Lo and behold...I find myself on the other side of the hurdle again!
            Oh no you haven't!

Try again - this fence is high!

Comment

Honest Larry.........................it's a good forum once you get in!!

Comment

again, and please do keep trying

Pauline

Comment

whoooops! Sorry I is red faced and splattered with the smelly stuff. Errr what can go wrong when you think you are being smart is everything! I suppose it is because I do not know why that rule is there that I tried to circumvent it in my eagerness to share the fettling tool. Sorry.

Comment

get posting, I wanna see the fretting tool! or you could pm me the address
                    Cake Toppers http://huntersdesigns.co.uk
                    My etsy http://peculiarforest.etsy.com
                    My Blog http://peculiarforest.blogspot.com

Comment

Come on Larry - only another 10 posts!! You can do it!

all together now - post, post, post, post.

Pauline

Comment

But even if I PM you the address the hurdle miester will raise that bloomin' hurdle during mid leap and do me bits an awful mischief....

Oh for a temprament that is wise and patient and not like tigger with attention deficit disorder....especially when it comes to the fettling tool where I have an evangelical urge to proselytise the good news - as well as telling people about it - of the Holy Fettling Tool of Jerusalem!

Have I done me 25 posts yet? Do I gets a little fanfare when I do like when I got potty trained? That would be nice...

Comment

Beadsage, trust me...its a carefully woven insanity for occasional use by the discerning crafter. Found it in a skip, Cor! I thought. That bit of insanity could come in really useful one day. When I got home I put it with the rest in the shed. I am the worlds worst when it comes to resisting a bargain, even if it has no immediate or obvious use. But this one was a bit different. A cut above yer usual doolally...

Comment

Five more posts and I'm just a fleeting memory.................

Comment

....make that four....although being in this straightjacket means I cannot count my fingers to work it out....at least I can type with my nose....

Comment

Working...
                              X