Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a little hand drilly thing....

useless description I know!
    I bought one from the Games Workshop - its like a screwdriver - you put one end into the palm of your hand - and twiddle the barrel and the screw part - like a pencil lead - drills a miniscule hole into wood, metal, your head, whatever. Only the drill bits won't stay gripped into the end - so they basically just shoot back up the barrel bit when you add pressure. argghghg!

Can anyone recommend something similar?

i can't post a picture of it as I havent posted enough yet - and i know my description is pants - but perhaps someone will know what i'm on about!!

Originally posted by Half-an-acre View Post
    ...drills a miniscule hole into wood, metal, your head...

<runs and hides>

Wood Tattoos
    Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
    Facebook
    Flickr
    Twitter

Comment

Have you looked at bead reamers. I know it's probably not for beads, but they are long fine spikes covered in grit to clear holes out. I've mede holes in all sorts of things with them before.
      I also got a hand drill electric dremel style thing that has fine drill bits in. It cost £10 from Aldi and I se it for all sorts!
      full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

go onto cooksons gold website- jewellers use the same tool (i have one) and look at hand drills under their tool section. or go to rashbel website or walshs website-any jewellery tool company will do them and the drill bits to go with it.
        www.clarenash.co.uk

Comment

I have this archimedes dril

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=230250345176

I use it a lot, it works well.
          Sarah x

Muddle Website
          Muddle's Facebook Page

Comment

I use a demel which is dead handy! I use it for drilling, polishing, grinding, making coils, etching...to can even use it as a lathe! Mine cost about £30 but I use it lots.
            Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery & Glass Fusing Blog
            Dichroic Glass Tutorials
            Wholesale Dichroic Fused Glass Jewellery

Comment

I use one like this, made by Stanley (I believe). It holds a variety of different size drill bits which can be quite large as the jaws are adjustable. It is quite a big hand drill which would be availble from any hardware or DIY store but is very versatile as a result.

Si.
              Wood Tattoos
              Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
              Facebook
              Flickr
              Twitter

Comment

Drill thingy

I've got one of those archimedes things like Sarah, bought it from the tool man on the local market for a quid.
                Kev.
                www.steampunkkaleidoscopes.com
                www.steampunkrelics.co.uk
                If you think you can do a thing or if you think you can't you will be right. Henry Ford

Comment

I have the exact one you mean Half. I dont remember where I got it though... cooksons and rashbel and ebay only seem to have the archimedes one-which is ok but it really hurts my hand! the one which i have with the round wooden top is really good. I will try to remebr where i got it from....
                  www.clarenash.co.uk

Comment

Oh I remember now! it was from squires a small hobby,craft place in Bognor Regis!! haha random. Here is their website and phone number. I think it is called a hobby drill just desciribe it to them and they will know. Or you can request a catalogue.

www.squirestools.com

01243 842424

www.clarenash.co.uk

Comment

Yes, I use an archimedes drill as well. It can be a bit slow at times but does the job and is fairly easy to control.
                      http://www.folksy.com/shops/silvermoss

http://silvermoss.blogspot.com/

Comment

brilliant! thanks so much for all your replies!
                        I'll look into all the options.
                        I really like the idea of the sticks/rods to clean out holes - i'm always trying to find things to do that with!
                        Thanks to everyone!

I also need a drill that will go through seaglass as I want to use the jarfull that I"ve collected to make some decorations .... I'll check out Cooksons too.

Comment

Originally posted by Half-an-acre View Post
                          brilliant! thanks so much for all your replies!
                          I'll look into all the options.
                          I really like the idea of the sticks/rods to clean out holes - i'm always trying to find things to do that with!
                          Thanks to everyone!

I also need a drill that will go through seaglass as I want to use the jarfull that I"ve collected to make some decorations .... I'll check out Cooksons too.
                          Just had a poke around and Rasbels have the Archamides drill - which is great for the little holes I was taking about - and also a handheld drill with all sorts of attachements to play with - and only £40 odd for the dearer ones! *goes off to order*

Comment

I believe that the one you have is called a Jeweller's hand drill or pin-vice - you twiddle it round by hand, rather than moving the slider up & down like you do on an Archimedes hand drill, right?

If you do an ebay search on the words "jeweller drill" or "pin vice" you'll see several there. I have one just like it, and it works briliantly for making little fiddly holes in things!

You might want to take yours apart and clean it before you dump it, though - if something's got stuck in the collet (the bit that grips the drill) that would make it not grip properly...
                            Last edited by Scorch; 03-09-2008, 08:18 AM.
                            Cheers,
                            Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
                            Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Pin vice-that will do the job. I get mine from tool stalls on markets or car boots. usually £1 for a pack of three all different sizes.
                              To stop the bit (thats the sharp thing you stick in the end) slipping just tighten it up with a pair of pliers.
                              sorry couldnt resist that, it matches the way you titled the thread

Comment

Working...
                              X