Modern Crafts Books & Articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Crafts Books & Articles

I feel that this subject has degenerated over the decades. Not all that long ago, my wife sent an article in to a craft magazine on how to make a certain type of picture frame. It was rejected on the grounds that "it is rather too complicated for our readers!" Too complicated - it only involved a board, with metal pins in it & winding cotton around it in a certain fashion, the design was based on an 1890s book for schooolchildren!
    Bob

I agree that things have changed for the worse in many respects.

In modern society people need to have far fewer skills. Why learn to make clothes when you can buy them so cheaply?

Added to this is the constant rushing around. Many would argue that they just don't have time to take up a creative hobby. I find it really sad that many children would rather sit at a computer than learn to sew or do woodwork for example (haha and what are we all doing now?!!!!).

Welcome by the way. Good to have to aboard!
    http://ethelandednastearoom.blogspot.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

It makes me wonder who they are trying to aim their craft magazines at...

if you are a crafter then surely you have the time and patience to do something simple and creative as making a photo frame as you described!

Why would you be buying the magazine in the first place?

i must be going potty...
      Last edited by Sprinkles; 16-03-2008, 01:09 AM. Reason: hehe, spelling, again!
      Av xx
      Sprinkles Sparkles

Comment

Harking back to the 1950s when I was at school, I seem to remember almost everyone was making or building things. The boys would be making aeroplanes, steam engines, radio sets, model ships & boats & a host of other things whilst the girls would be busy with needlework, knitting, sewing, cooking etc & even some of the things that the boys did.
        On another craft forum (concerned with building model ships) that I am a member of, they have a poll section on what age are you? So far, no-one under the age of twenty has come along to say they are making anything at all. What a lot they miss out on!
        Bob

Comment

I am currently working at an art college, teaching post-A level students. Whilst they have chosen their favourite area to spe******e in(fashion and textiles in the case of my group), none of them seem to have any passion for the subject. They are too absorbed in their social lives and college is just a chore. There are one or two exceptions but I couldn't imagine one of them coming onto a forum like this. Facebook and MySpace may be cool but a craft forum?...
          http://ethelandednastearoom.blogspot.com/
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

I collect old needlework books about 1890 - 1910 or so, they are for children, yet any adult would struggle!! I'm nearly 50 but even I had very little teaching in crafts and I think it is such a shame that a whole generation seams unable to use their hands anymore. As for books and magazines....lots of lovely pictures but very little comprehensive instruction I find.......I think I'm turning into a grumpy old woman LOL!

Sue
            www.susiedolls.com
            www.susie1205.blogspot.com

Comment

I couldn't agree more

There has been a massive dumbing down of skills levels by all the publishers IMO.

Even if you scour the charity shops for craft books from the 1970's (when I was growing up) you will find all sorts of skills used from basket weaving, stained glass etc.

Now, if you cannot make it in 5 mins the publishers get very worried.

I have written two polymer clay books for one of the well established craft publishers. They were utterly and totally terrified of anything not being "quick and easy" and doable in minutes.

Now don't get me wrong - I am very proud of my books. I feel that I fulfilled the brief well, which is to provide a good introduction to the subject for people. And when I get letters from people telling me that my books have helped them get started in polymer clay, I know that there really IS a need for clear, concise and easy crafting education.

But no publishers really have the courage to put out more advanced level of work - the trouble is, they themselves are not crafters. When they go to the international book markets to sell the rights of these books around the world, the people they are dealing with are also not crafters, they are sales executives. SO all decisions are based on what they think they could handle or how pretty the colours are and they have a surprising lack of understanding that there IS a more advanced market out there if only they looked.

But everything in craft publishing is, unfortunately, about catering to the lowest common denominator. If as a writer you wish to up the ante and create more advanced work, it can be hard to find an outlet for it. Even as magazine articles.

This is why more and more designer-makers are self publishing. Which works if you have a name in your field already, but that takes time. It also takes money - more so if you want to put out a physical product such as a printed book or CD Rom rather than creating an e-book or downloadable tutorial.
              Emma
              www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
              www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
              www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

I agree, I no longer buy craft magazines as they are so simple and to be quite honest, been there, done that got the t-shirt. I prefer to do my own designs now including patterns for clothes or other items to sell. As sprinkles said I think most advanced crafters do not need the book or the kits that are being churned out on craft tv channels but use their own imagination.

This goes onto making the public appreciate what we do more, any one can buy a kit a make up cards as directed and sell cheap, this makes the customers think that all crafts should be cheap never mind that you spent hours designing, pattern cutting plus making up and hand stitching in my case.

Perhaps we need a magazine that is aimed at the professional not the hobbyist, which have their place we all started this way but there is a big gap in the market place, who will take up the gauntlet for this publication.

I appreciate that this is quite an emotive subject and apologies to anyone who may take offence in advance, just trying to stick up for the advanced crafter
                Last edited by Caroleecrafts; 14-12-2008, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Printable Crafts

May be someone should give them beautiful printable craft work available online. I won’t be surprised if they call that complicated as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X